Builders Wishlist

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 14, 2018.

1. jd1969

jd1969 Lieutenant

Rotating and placing of blocks by 45° - that would solve a lot of Building Problems! And lift the creativity to the next Level. Thanks!
    Especialy to be able to place stairs diagonal!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Germanicus likes this.
  2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Yes, I agree, rotational diversity would be are real treat! IT would definetly increase the chance to get, not only, smoothe surfaces on CVs-which look currently like stair cases- but also use walls and fences complet different!

3. Xorg78

Xorg78 Ensign

The possibility to create symmetry planes on multi axes. Not only XY OR YZ but XY and YZ.

4. zingo7

zingo7 Lieutenant

Spot on! In my current build im working on- i have 4 engines in X shape. Due to current game mechanics i can only build 1 mirrored. The bottom i will have to come forth and back and count- uhhh- not fun. If we had 4 axis symmetry in options- that would be splendid!

SoCalExile likes this.
  5. SoCalExile

SoCalExile Captain

Ability to use the small blocks when building CVs and bases.

ion_storm and WolfEyes like this.
  6. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Wouldn't that be something.

Unimaginable the design fidelity that would explode!

ion_storm and SoCalExile like this.
  7. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Alternately, the ability to build CVs and BAs out of small blocks, which is something that could be done right now without the coding needed to support subgrids. If there were 3 block sizes (0.5m, 1m, and 2m) available to ships and bases, then you could choose the optimal block size based on the amount of detail you wanted and the overall size of the structure.

8. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Something that would make this sort of thing less painful in the short-term would be the ability to mirror the blocks within a selection (right now we're confined to rotations only).

9. Ntslatko

Ntslatko Ensign

Process Helper - Survival Mode Building

Drone Additions & Changes
    1. Configurable opacity on drone HUD (to make it easier to see what your building)
    2. Drone HUD information [this information should be able to be toggled off separately from the HUD opacity while still inheriting opacity from the main HUD]
    • Distance to objects
    • Block type information on the current block to be placed as well as information on what is under the cursor [material etc.]
    • When using multi-tool, information on what exactly will be salvaged from an object being examined
    • Current conditions: Player oxygen, radiation, temperature [I've froze myself a few times...]

Cluascorp and _VickTor_ like this.
  10. Xorg78

Xorg78 Ensign

Eleon, if you're listening, 3 wishes here :

* The possibility to rename devices ( easier after that to group them together)

* The possibility to select several devices in the devices tab, to show them on HUD or Activate/ Deactivate them...

* The possibility to show devices names when hovering over it (like a HUD option)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    ion_storm likes this.
  11. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

just thought of this since I found people were interested in physical elevators, trams, monorails, etc:

Why not have "interactive" textures. Almost like a rail texture. And a texture on the tram that would be restrained to it. So it would freely move in the direction of the texture- a closed subway/open rail, monorail, tram, elevator- all of them could be built simply using that idea. And have buttons than can send signals so it will come to the block it's connected to.

*If this seems confusing- magnets basically. But based on textures (or symbols).

12. SoCalExile

SoCalExile Captain

Remove hard turret and device limits that only limit the builder and the imagination. The devs need to drop the attitude that how people choose to play the game needs to be controlled. Simply give us the physics, the setting, and the tools and let us play in the sandbox how we like. Rules can be set by the server owners.

13. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I can get behind that. If the PVP crowd wanna weh-weh about too many turrets... they need to get on a server setup right. Stop squelching the creativity of people who just wanna build and solo and whatnots.

14. ion_storm

ion_storm Captain

Or the way "Skywanderers" does it...
    On a large block You put a 4x4 grid, and then You can put small blocks on it...
    This way we can make a one large block board of switches instead of 3- 4 switches taking an entire wall...

15. ion_storm

ion_storm Captain

And don't forget the ability to move devices up and down within a group, so if I want to put some device first in some group, I don't have to pull all other devices out and back in...

dichebach and Xorg78 like this.
  16. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

That still requires some kind of subgrid code, though. As far as multiple switches are concerned, I wonder how hard it would be for the devs to give us a few different switch options that have multiple actuators in them (and thus can generate multiple signals). The underlying signal logic system ought to be able to handle this, but maybe the way they code the switch currently wouldn't allow for multiple switches in the same device.

ion_storm likes this.
  17. ion_storm

ion_storm Captain

Yes, but what You're saying sounds even more complicated...

18. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

The multiple switches idea? Yeah, like I said, it may not even be possible with the code they've already written for the existing switch. But what would be possible would be to let BAs and CVs be built from small blocks.

ion_storm likes this.
  19. Pyston

Pyston Captain

I can not think of a specific tool (outside of copy/mirror/paste, or freeform block tools) that would make building easier but (as its already been mentioned) being able to place props more freely would be HUGE in terms of what can be created. Builders spend a lot of time trying to puzzle props to fit into an area which often means reengineering a structure sometimes to great length. This takes a lot of time. If we could place a light on any surface that is not occupied by a block or prop that would be huge. If this is not possible, at least being able to place props freely inside of a block and not "centered" on a block would also go a long way.

Also, I mentioned this in the past but lights and doors should have their own sensors (along with the area of effect zone) built into them.

Also actual block mirroring so that texture shapes end up being the same on both sides. Painting/texturing on diagonal/angled surfaces looks really nice on some builds, until you go to the other side of the build and see that the paint/texture continues over to the side of the block.

EDIT: I would like to add that its not necessarily that we need new tools, but more that the current way of building should be expanded with more freedom and a change to how some things work. For example: Doors. Make doors work like hangar doors where the door itself is hidden when it moves into its frame. Having to engineer a build around the door mechanic is a pain at times because seeing the door slid it front of a wall just looks bad. Allow ramp to collide with other blocks so that the area the ramp resides is not 3x4x2, but rather 3x1x1. Little things like this (I say little but I imagine there is nothing "little" about coding this stuff) would go a long way into making building easier, less time consuming and overall more aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Siege Inc., ion_storm and dichebach like this.
  20. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Couple things that annoyed me recently:

1. Lack of sorting, multi-selecting, reordering, filtering type of UI mechanics in the "groups" interface for vessels and bases. The fact that if I have 15 weapons on a CV I have to select EACH one of them individually to assign attack orders and can neither (e.g.) filter to sentry guns, nor select all (or left-alt select to non-contiguously multi-select) and assign the same to multiple weapons at once = very primitive UI.

2. Regroupings and renamings of devices in a blueprint: when spawned they all just get plopped into "Ungrouped."

These are not major things to program.

You know what, this topic deserves an entire new thread!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    _VickTor_ likes this.