Building

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. BCD

BCD Ensign

It would be very cool to have tanks or other things that you could fill up with a pump of some kind, especially if you can attach one to a CV or smaller and kind of... hold on
    like that. for... I dont know what. Reactors, hydrogen flue, or something.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Heh. Clearly there'd be some kind of forcefield to hold the water in place :). If door forcefields can hold off an atmosphere of pressure and still allow players to pass through them, then it's not much of a stretch to apply it to liquids.

3. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I can't help but to wonder if ya meant 'Pool of Lava', cause a Pool of Water, without Bikini Girls to go with it... what use would that be? :p

Oh yeah, plus this. :D

Make sure to benefit from the Building Controls - 'Show Center of Mass' Feature of the game to make sure ya keep your HV's Center of Mass at least close to the Center & not too high up in your HV for better balance & handling. :) (Though take note that last I knew it currently has a Bug where it may fail to show up after being activated. The current workaround for this is, after Activating it, hop into your HV Cockpit then back out of it to provoke its appearance.)

Also yeah, if your last HV Build was during the Pre-Hover Mechanics Implementation Era & you're still used to the dumb old 'Fixed Hover Point in One Spot band aid fix', no wonder you're having trouble. Also it's useless to try to simply stick the current Hover Engines on an old build & just try to make it work to try to keep that old Band Aid Fix Hover Mechanics clunker... the old ways & the new ways are just plain too incompatible... especially since with the Real Hover Mechanics, trying to make a tiny HV that can avoid being wobbly, unstable, easy to roll over, & vulnerable to being pushed around by its own Hover Force too easily can be a real serious challenge.

& what are Force Fields powered by again? Oh yeah, Power... same stuff that powers Artificial Gravity. The Artificial Gravity got conked out... bet that was from loss of Power, so that Force Field of yours got conked out at the same time! ;)

*Snickers* Civilians... XD

Kieve likes this.
  4. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

5. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Sigh, if there's one thing I can't stand, it's disasters in space due to lack of redundant systems/shoddy systems engineering. I'm ok with stuff failing because it was stressed far beyond its rated tolerance, and backup systems got disabled by human error or another unforeseeable event, but not when it was something that your average audience member could have predicted.

6. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

To be fair, in the movie one of their main systems took a softball-sized rock through its processors and the ship was suffering from two years of cascading system failures by that point...

7. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I guess. But I still feel like that's something that could be planned for (with whipple armor, and extra computer cores, and such). This is why sometimes I'm not much fun to watch sci-fi disaster movies with :).

8. Tyrax Lightning

& yet despite that, that Woman thought it was a good time to take a Swim in a Pool inside a not-fully-functioning Ship? XD

Don't forget to survive peoples.

9. hound

hound Captain

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this and I an sure Tyrax will tell me if it is not....BUT can we have the bases of devices be paintable? Specifically constructor and repair station. They are grey and they are always grey. I usually invert constructors into walls or floors and can't paint them.
    Under the stairs....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  10. Atola

Atola Commander

I also have made a few bases where they where upside down so i was walking on them. Mostly so i can use the same constructor (and thus the same materials) from different work rooms more than anything else. Which brings up a point - what if those decorative consoles could be linked to ANY device, and would just open up the device assuming the device could be opened. Could work with turrets as well (in bases at least, CVs would need some additional work...) . This could revolutionize base design.

Or maybe even better. Link the consoles to a GROUP within the main panel. Clicking on the consoles brings up a small GUI that lists just the devices in that group (not even the group name), and clicking on any of those opens the device up (if it can be opened/entered and other permission are met).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Tyrax Lightning, ECubed and Mortlath like this.
  11. Tyrax Lightning

I think here works for this one. :)

12. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I strongly advocate for a more permissive "structural integrity" set of rules. As it is now simple overhangs of just a few blocks have no strength and this makes building fancy structures quite difficult. Actual bridges would be impossible to make in Empyrion, as well as many other structures, because of the very poor strength of materials. For 2 meters thickness, concrete should be able to sustain itself quite well on sloped overhangs, so maybe having a "steel reinforced concrete" set of blocks could allow a bit more creativity. Now we are mostly restricted to blocky / pyramid shaped building parts, very tiny balconies and not very extended inverted slope overhangs. Same thing for roofs where span is greatly limited, even with angled constructs.

Tyrax Lightning and binhthuy71 like this.
  13. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Agreed, I'd prefer very relaxed SI rules that didn't somehow make bases OP. I see a lot of well designed work on bases and player houses, but few are as visually striking as some of the capital ships. It's not the builders, it's the system in this instance. If it was possible we would build bridges that span mountaintops.
    My building would also be enriched by a "Road" option on the T2 drill. Ideally it would just barely flatten terrain to a fixed width and change its color to something appropriate. For me, the presence of roads - even though I'd built them all - would add to the feeling of being in an inhabited world.

Tyrax Lightning and Kassonnade like this.
  14. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

With the projected custom height maps for terrain generation in Alpha 7 designers might be able to make roads easily, blending them with terrain. I guess the terrain generation will also be simplified, and thus it will be easier to make kilometers of coherent roads all over a planet without spending hours on it.

Tyrax Lightning and binhthuy71 like this.
  15. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

That would be sweet. As any good light plane pilot knows, IFR stands for "I Follow Roads.":D

16. Atola

Atola Commander

I'd like to point out that with today's technology concrete siding is a thing. It can be made to look like wood and often is. Why not in Empyrion? We have decent roof, floor inside and outside concrete textures and good inside wall concrete textures - but i'm struggling with outside siding concrete textures that look right.

See link below for google search of concrete siding pics.

https://www.google.com/search?q=con...nn0azWAhUS9WMKHX6PBcUQsAQIOg&biw=1328&bih=749

Morrigan and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  17. Hector G

Hector G Commander

I'm having some trouble manipulating blocks but I'm admittedly a complete noob. The only other building game I have played is Dragon Quest Builders which is extremely simple and elementary. I have a hard time getting blocks at locations where I want. I don't mean 'invalid locations' more like it feels my mouse is extremely sensitive when constructing.
    Again take this with very small grain of salt I know it's probably me especially when I see some of the insane creations other people have made I see video where people seem to easily put things together quickly. Also my creations suck and I just end up using blueprints anyway. o_o

18. Atola

Atola Commander

Are you trying to build using the Drone? Because if so I totally agree with the mouse sensitivity part. Half the time I switch on GOD mode while building (in survival) just because its so damn annoying to use the drone.

Tyrax Lightning and Hector G like this.
  19. Hector G

Hector G Commander

No I meant in Creative to an extent. It's not impossible however I do agree the drone is absolutely useless for building it seems to move in a completely uncontrollable and sporadic manner. I didn't realize you can use a godmode I was wondering how the heck people manage to make things in survival I may need it just to put down base blueprints because the drone makes it really frustrating.

20. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

Working lately with SVs (which is uncommon for me :) ) i noticed that the symmetry plane is way too bright and not transparent enough to get a good impression of the proportions of the construction.
    IDK if this has been asked before but lowering the opacity, via the options menu would be a huge help.

Another thing that i noticed, when moving in godmode you can move very fast via hitting control and direction. The problem i have is that this only works forwards/backwards and sideways but not up and down.
    When building something in space, i often need to see my work from (far) above to get a impression of the proportions and shape (especially to avoid fisheye effect*) , so it would be very useful if it where possible to move just as fast up and down.

*Although i use a setting of 40 it still distorts the view a bit at the edges, so i have to go further away to have the best view possible.