Building

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Huntn

Huntn Lieutenant

I'm fairly new to the game, but could the Devs please include block shape info in the block description when looking at a block with the multi-tool? I'm trying to dissect some existing buildings I've downloaded to educate myself, and it can be tough identifying what shape was used when multiple shapes are used together.

Also please consider making it possible to copy an existing block and shape orientation so it can be pasted.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. LeVentNoir

LeVentNoir Captain

Use the rotate option of the multi tool, it will show the blocks bounding box, from there it's easy to get the shape.

Copy and paste is in the build menu (default N)

Mortlath likes this.
  3. Badomen

Badomen Lieutenant

More textures for concrete and steel blocks please! More choices makes a big difference and it's such a simple thing to make tiled textures! (I know because I make them).

4. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

The hard part is getting those textures mapped correctly to fit the surface they are applied to AND tile correctly with the other surfaces with the same texture. Something that just irks the crap out of my muse.

5. benism_81

benism_81 Ensign

I really have enjoyed the game so far would just like to put that first.
    The building system is awesome except the fact that you can't have more than 1 object occupying one space.
    Some examples:
    - If you use a half wall block you should be able to build off it instead of having blank space in between the 2 blocks.
    - One of my CV i used the thin wall blocks on the bottom of legs it stands on and it now hovers one block space of the ground.
    - Being able to place a light or piece of glass where a half or thin block has been placed.
    - Or being able to build of angled blocks.
    Also i would love to see angled elevators, HV elevators for CV and Bases, and above all tractor beams.
    Thanks for all the awesome work on the game so far i have had hours of enjoyment

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Runeshadow, Spirit_OK, Wayson and 2 others like this.
  6. Nauttdog (naut-T-dog)

Nauttdog (naut-T-dog) Lieutenant

I just wanted to post this here, in the hopes maybe one of the Devs see it. It's truly a masterpiece and it's because of the hard work you guys do that someone was able to create something so majestic. It didn't get a lot of votes, but spawn it in creative and then go for a walk inside, you'll quickly see that I'm not exaggerating when I say it is a masterpiece made possible by your hard work.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1237497483

Wayson, cmwhee and ion_storm like this.
  7. cmwhee

cmwhee Commander

Can confirm, this ship is amazing

Nauttdog (naut-T-dog) likes this.
  8. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Ensign

What is the maximum build area (specifically for CVs)?
    I read in the roadmap around 2015 that it is 250 horizontal and 250 vertical, and "Too far from center of structure" notifications correlate with this.

But I've spent weeks on a CV that is slightly under 250 x 250 x 250, and all within the "Too far from center" limits, but when spawning my blueprint, the vertical plane is cut in half. I tested in creative several times, and it seems that it is impossible to make a blueprint spawn with anything over like 125 blocks vertically. I've noticed a couple other old threads with the same issue that seem to be unresolved.

Is this a bug?

9. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

@Kurgyn the total 'length or width' would be 476m, or 238 blocks.
    At least it was so in october when I had built a Basic spawnplattform (template) of MAX SIZE: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1529975302

This means ist 119 blocks from the Center (starter block) into 'each direction' (not exactly true, but not completly wrong either).
    You cannot move the 'center', as the Center remains where the starter block was set, at best, it gets rounded by a half or full bock towards the new place, but that's it.

hth

10. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Ensign

Sephrajin, I know the length and width limits. They work correctly.

It is only the vertical limit that is not allowing you to build anything up to 476m or 238 blocks in total vertical length (119 blocks down from center, 119 blocks up from center). Your build pad worked fine because it only hits the maximum in width and length, but it is flat and doesn’t go anywhere near the vertical limit.

If you, for example, made that spawn pad a cube and built it 238 blocks tall, or you flipped it sideways so that the width or length became the height, then it would be cut in half after spawning it like it has violated some hidden height limit of only like 200 meters or 100 blocks. Vertical build limit seems to be half of what it is supposed to be.

11. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Oh sorry on that @Kurgyn , must have been 'habbits'.

All i can do now is to ask the obvious default Questions (sorry)...
    Did you Restart the game?
    Did you clear the Cache?
    Does the problem persist?
    Did you send a bug report?

Because otherwise, i have no idea… :(
    Other than that it *might* be related to the 'open wall's of blueprints, regardless if BA/CV... for each spawn, some other parts of 'walls' are open. Your height issue, seems to me like an 'extension' of that behavour.

12. Takamisakari

Takamisakari Ensign

I'm new in the game since the days of Xmas.

---

My both biggest criticsm points are:
    - building a wall just between 2 blocks would be nice, but a too large change
    - I miss many shapes of blocks

I have a solution which can solve both criticsm points together:
    » Add an editor for individual blocks to combine multiple default blocks (but max. 1 block with a function). The needed materials will be combined too. When adding textures/colors, you can switch between every single block.

---

When start building a new object (base/vessel), it would be nice to hold the core (the whole object) in air as long as the player wants (build mode). So it's possible to build under the core. Currently, this just is possible by alternative ways.

Wayson likes this.
  13. Wayson

Wayson Commander

I like the idea!