Can we please get some optimization!?!

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by ckulp99, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Most games, especially small developers, are in alpha for years before beta and release. The only difference is you don't see it, much less play it. There is nothing excessive about the amount of time either of those games has been in alpha. In construction terms, alpha is laying the foundation and framing, beta is wiring, plumbing, and drywall. If you hang the drywall before the exterior is complete or the wiring run, you're just going to have to hang it again for nothing- total waste of time, effort, and resources.

As to why they would want to leave alpha- it's very simply sales. A large number of players won't touch early access. To be fair, for valid concerns- I've been burned myself. But there wasn't anything in Eleon's dev path that concerned me until the plan to remove H2/O2 generators in 7.6. Still, alpha is alpha and beta is beta.

Tyrax Lightning and Jᴧgᴧ like this.
  2. ckulp99

ckulp99 Lieutenant

Not sure if I would consider sub 60, though im sure you do get above 60 at times, with a higher midrange computer, where there is one large ship and a POI on screen golden, you also don't appear to be moving.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

I don't get above 60, have Vsync on. Anything above 60 is pointless anyway, the human eye can't see it- flourescent lights cycle at 60 Hz for that very reason. Not thrusting, but autobrake off for a slow pass. I get the same rate when there are multiple ships flying about.

Point being it's the PVP action with all the death bricks studded with turrets and ridiculous numbers of RCS units pivoting at 60 degrees/second stressing the engine... that's not on Eleon.

4. ckulp99

ckulp99 Lieutenant

Your eye can see past 60 fps easily. https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1vy3qe/how_many_frames_per_second_can_the_eye_see/

5. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

No, it can't- and it's one of the reasons I'm not actually a fighter pilot. Most people can't. Yes, a few exceptional people can, but they are the exception, not the rule. Just like everyone can't be an Olympic-level athlete. Or an astronaut.

Tyrax Lightning and SylenThunder like this.
  6. ckulp99

ckulp99 Lieutenant

I gave you evidence showing that the average person can, why do pro gamers use 144hz+ monitors, why does science tell you that yes the average person can see the difference in 24, 45, 60 and 100 fps easily. Also on an unrelated note be careful with vsync it causes input lag and in a laggy game like empyrion the milliseconds may matter in a fight for PvP

7. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

This is a really old and tired argument on the internet. I can produce 10 articles arguing (and proving) each side of the argument.

The truth is, @Brimstone is correct. A minor percentage of humans can perceive details at higher than 60 FPS. For the average gamer, 60 is more than enough. Many people are content with as little as 30, since they lose details higher than that.

Bottom line - it's not worth arguing. If you're getting 60 FPS and your input isn't being limited, more won't generally help you - unless you believe you are that one in a hundred (or thousand) Top-Gun fighter pilot playing games. In that case.. more power to you. It's still not worth arguing about.

And it has zip to do with whether or not Empyrion needs optimization during Alpha. We already answered that question many times over I think.

Tyrax Lightning and SylenThunder like this.
  8. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

You gave a Reddit link, not the AMA Journal... :rolleyes: but even then, the fourth sentence of the second paragraph states that only 25% of the population can perceive more than 60 FPS

I also reduced more of the lag-type issues that I did have by adding -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd to my startup than by changing any of my graphic options

I couldn't care less about PvP. While I quite enjoyed it in the past and even topped a leaderboard now and then, I find that these days, the games have too much emphasis on the twitch instead of tactics and teamwork- and with that, the griefers and smacktards have run rampant. I just have no tolerance for them anymore. I don't think everyone who does PvP is like that, but there are just too many anymore...

Tyrax Lightning and Jᴧgᴧ like this.
  9. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Temporarily... until the game can get more Crafted up & completed. Not-Yet-Done CV Builds can't operate at full power before their last Block is in place either... but trying to make a CV & keep it at least 90% functional in ability to do its job while it's at a Build Completion of 20 - 80ish% is flat out unreasonable. People playing Alpha need to have patience, & it also helps to not have that Alpha Game be the only one on their current Play Roster cause sometimes Alphas get into unstable periods & it helps to be able to take a break from it or give it a break when it needs time to get fixed up some more, then can return to it later when it's more ready for play for awhile... but people that are trying to play an Alpha EXACTLY like a Full Release are seriously doin it wrong... Minecraft 'Dig Straight Down Every Time' wrong...

I have a SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 390 & still average 45ish FPS a lot... but something about the game &/or Unity disagrees with AMD Power, so can't be helped. I can sympathize with people with not-strong Rigs... but then again people with not-strong Rigs might wanna rethink asking those not-strong Rigs to munch Alphas... with that said I have not forgotten what it was like to not be able to afford badassery... :(

Try Taking a Third Option & help find the problems, & the causes & Effects of them, to get them fixed more quickly & effectively...? I'm sure Pantera would love the help with it. ;)

If you're not willing to do that, why are ya even in an Alpha at all, instead of waiting for Full Release...? o_O

Now that ya mention it, I remember vaguely past Thread Chatter about if Empyrion properly handles usage of Multiple Cores or is limited to just one or two only... I can't remember if a consensus or answer on that ever got reached. One thing's for sure though... there's times when I wonder if Gamer Rigs are better off with Higher Ghz instead of More Cores if one has to choose between those 2 options, from what it looks like to me.

Fixed. ;)

Alas... when someone loves something, & it looks under attack, tempers can rise & defensiveness can ensue... sometimes it can't be helped, but it also might not help either.

On the other hand, it's also easy to look for fault in others but not so easy to look for fault in oneself... though I may be a lone exception to that... my Arceus Damned Asperger makes it DAMN easy for me to fault myself... :( Nonetheless, all the help the game can get with hunting down Bugs like dogs, Feedbacking changes & additions to the game, & such is of positive contribution. The game can always use more of it... especially to cover for me when my damn RL gets in the way of MY play of this game. Even talking about how hard it's being to run the game while listing your Hardware, Driver Versions, & other such can help track down Bugs that only infest specific kinds of Computer Hardware &/or Drivers... which can be the especially elusive ones.

No Man's Sky is a EA Game!!? No way in hell i'll ever touch it now! EWW!!! :eek: ... Oh wait, ya meant the other EA... Early Access. :p

Forget 'makes no sense'... it's outright flat out WRONG... :(

I'd even go so far as to wonder if those people are fools thinking they are buying Full Release Games for Alpha Prices & having the audacity to think they're 'outsmarting' other Game Consumers... *Facepalm*

I feel your pain... i'm no rich person either. :(

I built my current Rig under the belief that the Top D&D-like Stat of Priority for a Gaming Righ was the Graphics Card, so I prioritized my Rig as:

Priority 1: Graphics Card

Priority 2: CPU

Priority 3: RAM

Thus my Graphics Card is a SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 390 (Yes I say this earlier in my Post but what if ya don't care about any part of my Post but my Quoting ya & skip the rest? Just in case...)

CPU is a AMD 3.7 Ghz Quad Core CPU with a huge badass CPU Heatsink on it for heavy duty cooling.

RAM is 16 GBs of DDR3 2400 SDRAM. (8GB x 2)

After building this Rig & I was already playing Empyrion by this time, I found out later that Empyrion most strongly taxes CPU... talk about Joke on Me, huh? :p

With that said, it is indeed a fair point that when playing a new type of game & it turns out to have different needs then you're used to, it can easily catch one off guard. (Also joke's on me that this game pukes on my AMD Power for some reason... seems like this game & AMD fight like 2 Tomcats with each other. Go figure.)

More example of people being stupid... :(

I play Heroes of the Storm... but I have long since abandoned its Forums cause they're too damn hostile... :(

Also I play VS AI with AI Allies the most & occasionally get to VS AI with buds for allies with Bots filling holes. I don't even get to catch all the Brawls, & I practically never have time or chance to Quick Match... in case that makes any diff in how to regard my response.

This is the kinda info the OP coulda used. (Or if my Comprehension Skills are being Fail again, my apologies.)

Counterpoint: The Devs need to Implement stuff to see how it'll work & how it'll break first BEFORE they can see how to fix it... & Alpha is exactly the time to do this. Ya wouldn't suggest a HV Build be fixed when it's never been run would ya? Ya don't run it, how do ya REALLY know how it'll drive or not drive, & where faults in the Design might be? :)

Not to mention the persistent "Lagshot" problems... :(

Actually sometimes it's cause those PvP Ships are SUPER OPTIMIZED... towards "Lagshot Resistance"... Massive use of Triangle Blocks to give Lag Shots more things to hit trying to protect Devices from unfair Bug Deaths... VERY bad for the Polygon Counts... :(

Alpha time hasn't changed... how soon Players get let into it has changed... :rolleyes:

*Notices Reddit being the Source of the Link & is unsure if Reddit can even count as credible info... honestly dunno...*

I can sympathize with that, & I suck at Twitch... & dunno how good at Tactics & Teamwork I really am... :(

Kassonnade and Jᴧgᴧ like this.
  10. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

There are "curators" on Steam dedicated to this problem. I think Eleon is doing fine work though, given the small team and huge to-do list. Only time will tell, of course... ;)

11. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

Nah, you need a better 'puter :)

12. Marca666

Marca666 Commander

I'd say the Empyrion has a great balance between CPU core utilization (multiple objects spawned at close and long rage).
    [​IMG]

As far as gaming and CPUs go, I'd say that 4 cores will do the job perfectly fine, as long as they have decent speed with them. It's better to invest more money into a CPU when building a gaming PC, simply because it will (most probably) outlive 2-3 GPUs. So for the next 5-8 years, you'll only most probably upgrade your GPU and maybe your storage. Thus you save money on RAM, motherboards and newer mid range CPU models every few years.

Also the 60FPS topic, once you go 144hz, you don't go back. At least for me in most games that manage to push out 100+ FPS. Going from 144Hz back to 60Hz, games kinda feels way less smooth and not so responsive. I'd say it's very similar as if you go from 60 to 30 fps. Even moving my mouse from 144hz to 60hz monitor makes mouse movements feel.. weird.

13. SylenThunder

SylenThunder Captain

Not so much here on 60-30, though it is noticeable. When I go from 144+ to 60, I know what you mean about the mouse movement. Visually speaking it's isn't much different though. Yes 144 is smoother, but not significantly enough to be bothered by using 60 instead.

I actually did an interesting test in 7DTD earlier today with the FPS and overclocking my system.

At near-stock for my 3930k I was getting 30-45FPS moving at double-speed in god mode. Normal in a congested area with lots of windows was 45FPS. Out in the woods was 53FPS.
    CPU Speed was 3501.69 MHz, and RAM was at 533.6 MHz.

Then I did the same run with a stable base overclock. FPS was a near-solid 60 because I capped it with V-Sync.
    CPU Speed was 4169.81 MHz, and RAM was at 842.4 MHz.
    Source

So you can immediately see that the capabilities of the CPU and RAM are going to play a very heavy factor in your FPS right now. This is largely due to how the Voxels work in Unity.

Without the v-sync cap, and my usual overclock of 4.45GHz/993MHz, it's usually 70-90FPS on 7DTD. I could probably do something similar for Empyrion, but don't really feel like wasting another hour or so to do it.

14. Tyrax Lightning

This sounds convincing...

This does too... now I REALLY wonder why no matter how hard I ever searched I was never able to find a Motherboard that ran a PCI Express x16 3.0 Slot for my badass Graphics Card AND any CPU Slot better then FM2+ at the same time to make having badass Graphics Card & badass CPU at the same time actually possible...?

15. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Best practice I find when trying to upgrade to a new board/chipset... is to do some searching/reading on gaming or tech websites to see what other top-end gamers are purchasing. Often they'll come up with a motherboard which isn't so mainstream, costs a bit more, but which fulfills *all* of a gamer's needs. I usually do that now before just going out and shopping, when building my own rigs. That's despite having been tearing down and building computers since the original IBM PC. It never hurts to get info and perspective from other enthusiasts. :cool:

16. ckulp99

ckulp99 Lieutenant

Decent info but some nuance is missed. That cpu is 4 core 8 threads which is close to a 6 core 6 thread machine, also its IPC is good, an old intel chip has much better IPC than an old AMD chip.
    Lastly task manager is terrible for gauging usage in a game, its just measure how much is being used over a set time not instantly which means when the cpu moves a task from one core or thread to another it'll double count it showing a higher usage than there really is.

17. ckulp99

ckulp99 Lieutenant

I think something we are failing to think about here is they didn't test "gamers" during this study but the general populace. Just like how fighter pilots can see higher rates, I am sure that gamer's, because they look at the screen so much and are used to this type of activity, are going to be able to perceive higher refresh rates than the 45 year old parent who never touched a game that was included in the study. This may weight the average more towards the "people can see greater than 60fps" side. On the other hand I have no sources to back this up just conjecture and logic based on the fighter pilot example and the population they tested on.

18. Tyrax Lightning

Oh... I need to remember this one... Many thanks! :D

Jᴧgᴧ likes this.
  19. ckulp99

ckulp99 Lieutenant

also the buildapc or hardware sub reddits will usually do a breakdown of a new chipset and a comparison of all motherboards in it a week or two after launch.

20. Marca666

Marca666 Commander

I see no reason to ever buy a high end motherboards. As long as it supports the desired chipset for the CPU that you want, it will do fine. Only reason to get the more expensive one is to get SLI or Crossfire (which is usually not worth it), better RAM speeds (that won't have a significant impact on games), more SATA connectors (low end usually come with 4-6 which is enough) and more options on the motherboard itself (code readout, RGB headers, more fan headers, fancy design).
    As a gamer that tries to keep my components alive for as long as I possibly can, I will try to avoid overclocking until the CPU will start to struggle to keep up.