Can you apply ownership to an Orbit or a Planet?

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by Jackall, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Jackall

Jackall Commander

If I want a faction to own a planet or orbit so that only they can access it, is that possible?

If so, what would I need to do to make this happen?

Jack

2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Currently there is no hard "ownership" tag for a planet yet...but this is on the list for a future major update already. ;-)

3. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

sweet!

4. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Any Idea when that will be added? LOL

5. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    We've discussed this already - but there is no ETA (Maybe this could be a seperate game mode)

6. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I will love to build my EMPIRE and control a Star system. ;)

7. RMHaney

RMHaney Lieutenant

So... like an ownership tag to literally prevent it from loading for people?
    Like they bounce off the atmosphere?

I hope it's more imaginative than that. Like a massive, 15x15, , hideously expensive module that needs a crazy amount of power and projects a planetary shield or something.

Even better - make hovercraft ignore the shield so you can drop 'em out of an orbiting CV as one-way assault boats. Yassss.

8. Mortlath

Mortlath Commander

I was thinking of making a mod that lets a faction "capture" a special POI that then prevents non-faction structures from being built on the planet until it is captured by another group.

Sny, Jackall and RMHaney like this.
  9. RMHaney

RMHaney Lieutenant

That's a cool idea too!

10. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

That would be awesome...

11. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

I love this idea also and I would hate to see orbits locked from ownership so here a better idea, not perfect Im sure but still, so in the Orbit lets say I take control of and it auto re-names itself in my faction or whatever so I own it now, in its playfields, Orbit and planet, it should give the owner full view of the map and Everything on it in the playfield, no one can hide if they want to attack you its going to be in your face style, and the owner should maybe get a 5% armour boost for everything in that playfield, giving the defender a very very small advantage.

12. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

I would love to see it turned into a reason to PVP. For example...
    • In the orbit of a planet system have a space station that gets monitored (For occupation by a faction or player) over a period of time. Lets say 6 hours for example. This is totally doable with the currently available API.
    • If a group can hold that spot for said amount of time all planets in that sector are locked to their faction and a tax imposed on the faction. (Lets say 100k gold a week for an example) until someone else can maintain that space station for same said amount of time and take it from them.
    • The planets can reject ships that enter the atmospheres (can also be done with the api) and the faction can get a bonus ore income from holding the space.
    • Players could also get their own trading hub in that sector owned by them.

piddlefoot, Sny and Mortlath like this.
  13. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

I cant program !

CAN YOU ?

I vote you do it !

14. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    That might possibly turn out as the way to go. We‘ll investigate this mode as well.

15. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Actually there are 2 different modders working on this because it is a HEAVILY requested feature within the community. Along with some other things.

16. admiral_slapper

admiral_slapper Ensign

I think this ownership idea could do much to reduce the toxic global chat arguments and server destroying that can unfold when some factions lose 'effective control' of a playfield or system as the game currently is.

It would also stop logging in to find enemy turrets just out of range of your base where there used to be none.

By effective control I mean that point when no one was interested in your local planets, then all of a sudden hostile people set up camp in the local neighbourhood.

It would need good balancing thougb to prevent newcomers being excluded from any chance of building on a planet other than starters.

Keith Hovey likes this.
  17. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    In my personal view, this feature should be a 2-stepped approach.

1. currently you just place your base in the wild. This might need to change into some sort of a „landclaim“ ... like -technically spoken - having set up an antigrief zone where only you can build.

2. planet control: you conquer a poi in an orbit which allowes to control who can land on or leave the planet.

Logic might be: you need to have „claimed“ a significant part of the planet before you can claim ownership of the planet as you need to avoid a faction being locked down on a planet just because another faction managed to conquer the orbital station.

Maybe conquering the orbital station is „only“ the entry point for an enemy faction to be able to land troops (think of Star Wars episode V and VII ) on such a „Home Planet“. Said that, not all planets have such a station but you can claim land on all the planets.

Maybe the station gets available no earlier than you control thenplanet (like a faction-unlock buildable)

rucky and SilvRav like this.
  18. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

THis i like!

19. admiral_slapper

admiral_slapper Ensign

I think it would be a very immersive feature, and loads of fun having to conquer the orbital station to get to the planet. I think it should be an optional setting for the planet though, or maybe just for the best planet in the system.

Otherwise the game-play becomes extremely linear. One of the things I think is most enjoyable about Empyrion is how non-linear it is - for pvp this allows us the greatest room to formulate creative and innovative plans to raid, as well as being able to essentially write your own story in the greater sense. It would also mean that if you own the planet, you pretty much have to live in space now (or spend significant time there) and concentrate all your defenses there at the choke point. I think that's problematic because many players don't enjoy living in space.

Maybe there could be other systems of ownership with this one so that server admins can choose whether they want akua to be one type of ownership, omicron to be another etc.?

20. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    There are two ways:
    1. A pre-placed POI which you cannot destroy, but conquer.
    2. Kind of a "Faction reward unlock".

I think (1) could create a lot of issues with a not so immersive gameplay. So you could simply hold the station and another faction or other players do not have a slight chance to change or succeed

With (2) the station could still be a POI, but owned by a NPC Faction and destructible. So you destroy it = makes the way free for your "landing troops".

This way, you can either have planets that only have a few landclaims (no one really "owning"), some planets might have several factions fighting for the ground (battled areas, back and forth of land claims like in RISIKO board game) or planets that are "owned" by a faction or NPC faction..

I it was my decision, i'd vote for (2) as soon as we have proper NPC factions.

Keith Hovey likes this.