Fixed Cannot Connect to Dedicated Server on Same network. [06379]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by thetallest, May 16, 2019.

1. Maverick 3

Maverick 3 Ensign

My friends and I have noticed something new about this. We have used a password on this server since it was installed. What brought this to our attention was one of our group replaced a hard drive and reinstalled. For those who have connected in the past and have used a password, then it connects fine. The one who reloaded gets a prompt for a password and times out. However, if the password is removed, then the users who have not had any problems now get prompted for a password and then timeout and the user who reloaded doesn't get a password prompt and connects without issues.

shadowfoxx6 likes this.
  2. thetallest

thetallest Ensign

Upgraded today to
    "Experimental 10.3.0";

Problem still exists.
    Using a password I get the time out connecting to the server
    Using NO password I get right into the server with no issues.

If the network dev is needing me to run a PCAP just ask.

Acloud likes this.
  3. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

You dont have to keep trying. When it's fixed we leave a note that it's fixed in the next update. There is no ETA when this will be fixed

4. thetallest

thetallest Ensign

I keep trying with each update because that is my method of troubleshooting the issue. I have been a troubleshooter for over 25 yrs now in the IT Field. An update that you push out before you find the fix could fix the issue and unless I keep trying you all will never know that. I would think everyone would welcome some added troubleshooting from an advanced troubleshooter like me. I know it sounds like I am tooting my own horn and maybe I am a little bit. I have earned my stripes. I love these kind of issues it keeps my mind oiled for the next issue I encounter.

I appreciate you all not wanting to be bothered. More eyes is always always a good thing. I am only posting once per update rather than every day trying to keep this bumped up. You all have suggested with your own post to try each and every time and post if we find that it is fixed so I am only doing what you yourselves requested of us. I know it seems I am being a bit conceited but I assure you I am trying to be helpful.

More help cannot be bad.

5. thetallest

thetallest Ensign

Following your instructions per the lead post for testing when a new update comes out. I tested it is still failing.

You guys rock for all the stuff you are fixing with each update. Keep up the good work !! WAHOO

6. thetallest

thetallest Ensign

Hey congrats on moving 10 from Exp to Alpha release that is AWESOME !! However as you all have requested I have retested and yep the issue still is there. Keep up the awesome work !!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  7. Triblade

Triblade Ensign

I'm running a server (with the latest patch 10.0.1 2507) on Windows Server 2016 at home. (edit: text was written before latest patch ;))
    I cán telnet to my box and it gives me the following:

----------------------
    ╕EACActive:True;MaxStructures:500;AntiGriefPvE:30;NumStartPlanets:2;GameModeId:1;NumPlayfields:35;SteamID:90126730212884489;Product:EGS;OfflProtDelay:1800;Host:Tri_Server;PasswordNeeded:True;Version:Alpha 10.0.1;StopPeriod:0;EnabledTrading:30;Port:30000;Players:0;Dedicated:True;MaxPlayers:3;IsPublic:True;AntiGriefPvP:300;WipeTime:720;OfflProtTime:24;_OfficialId:0;ServerInfo:No description! :);DecayTime:24;AntiGriefDist:30;IP:80.56.**.58;
    ----------------------

Maybe the IP on the end have anything to do with this? Does my game's client thinks it has to connect to my own outside IP?

As said on the above thread, when the password requirement is removed, it works fine.

Edit:
    Also, NATting doesn't work. My firewall did a (Destination) DNAT from: <myPC> ports: (UDP/TCP) 30000-30005 to: <externalIP> and rewrote the destination to <Emperion Server>.
    When connecting to my internal IP it immediately asks for the password and then timed out again.
    Never once in this time I got a hit on my firewall and DNAT log. All traffic went to the server or had not gone out at all it seems!

Do note that in my NATting trials I did note a recurring UDP packet on port 30001 going to my own external IP every 20 seconds or so. this was not occurring during my connecting tests specifically, only afterwards it started doing it frequently and non-stop.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Update likes this.
  8. thermite187

thermite187 Ensign

I'm very glad I found this post. I can also confirm a very similar setup and behavior. PubIP:port > Port forwarding (multiple alt ports) > unm switch > unm switch > Hyper-V > Server 2016 STD (Lots of RAM and proc power) > Friends can connect fine from outside USING a password.

Gaming desktop > unm switch > unm switch > Hyper-V > Server 2016 STD (Lots of RAM and proc power) > private IP address:port > I CAN'T connect with a password.

I remove this password from yaml file > I can confirm 100% I can connect WITHOUT a password.
    Add the password back, it fails for internal connect.

Devs you might want to fix it is not uncommon for these servers to be run virtually by folks running on Server 20XX on a virtualized platform....

FYI > Server Administrator 10+ years.... but not a network admin... though I understand a good % of it and have setup my share of NW hardware.....

One more thing... when I set it to no PW and the yaml to non-public my friend gets prompted for a password from external my network (publicip:port) to my network... even though the PW is not enabled in the YAML file....

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  9. Acloud

Acloud Ensign

Just bought the game Getting all these logon issues:
    plus can't see my own server running server on same Windows 10 machine gaming on
    Friends can see server on list who are remote
    Remote friends can use pw but I can't logon via LAN
    To connect via LAN have to set pw off

This is quite a big issue as Empyrion relies on dedicated severs to promote and propogate game sales
    I typically run dedicated steam game servers for a group of friends.
    Recently found Empyrion but with these network issues I have to advise friends to hold off buying as network access to dedicated servers is too broken

Don't mean to be negative but if pw for server broken I am not happy running fully open dedicated server

10. ac_blazer

ac_blazer Lieutenant

Thank you for this thread, I also ran into this issue on a dedicated server i built on my LAN for testing a custom scenario.

11. thermite187

thermite187 Ensign

Any update on this from Devs? Problem is still occuring. I can only connect to my own internally hosted Empyrion server by using a software VPN to another network and entering the connection IP and port from the connection string. VPN is the only work around... this has been going on a long time and I'm hoping someone is looking at this since not everyone pays for a third party VPN to connect back to their own internal hosted dedicated server....

12. SLI_Fallen

SLI_Fallen Lieutenant

It appears that I am having the same issue, but here is the catch. It DID work, for over a month for me, (i'm on LAN) This morning, I am now getting the timeout, cant see the server in the list, but it DOES show up on friends tab once a (remote) buddy is in the server. The server name shows up, but the player count shows 0 and the ping -1(to me).

And here is another interesting thing, we all are at the current build level 10.5.0.2656 but if I select "Hide incompatible builds" the server DISSAPEARS FROM THE LIST, which tells me it must "think" I'm on a different build level from the server, BUT IT'S NOT.

A clue to the bug perhaps?

I can also now confirm the same password issue exists for me on LAN. No Pw, I can connect, with PW I cannot (But it worked for a month and nothing has changed on the server or my PC since it was working yesterday.....)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    shadowfoxx6 likes this.
  13. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

This might be fixed in the 10.6 EXP release that will come out somewhere after the weekend.

Please test well and report back to this post

14. shadowfoxx6

shadowfoxx6 Ensign

Having this exact same issue also i cannot connect to my server with the password enabled (app not running) BUT anyone thats not on my home network (my buddy down the street) can connect to the server with no issues

15. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

It all might be fixed soon :) 10.6 isnt that far away ;)

shadowfoxx6 likes this.
  16. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Everyone with the dedi connection issues please opt into the beta "steamtest" with steam. Change your server and client to this branch and test out if you can connect fine. Please report back to this post!

17. SLI_Fallen

SLI_Fallen Lieutenant

Apologies for the belated reply, but to this point we had not yet moved the server to the experimental branch (some players were still using public 10.5) We had been connecting to it using manual I.P. (and myself on the LAN, my own internal networks I.P. for the server)

Now we are on 10.6.0.2697 experimental, and I am happy to report the server is showing up on the list, and all players, lan and remote can connect to the server normally.

Thanks!

18. Ldm314

Ldm314 Ensign

I run a dedicated server and now I see this "Connection to server 192.168.1.54:30000..." and "Connect to server failed: Not running the app" issue connecting to it from local machines. It was working previously. 11.0.1 2714