Capital Vessel

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

Outside hull color really helps. Your design looks great!

2. Isil`Zha

Isil`Zha Commander

Heh, yeah not entirely sure what just yet, but I also was waiting until I finished any detail work since applying textures removes coloring.

3. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

Oh, and if that's a green navigational light, it is red on the left/port, green on the right/starboard. :D

Isil`Zha likes this.
  4. Isil`Zha

Isil`Zha Commander

hahaha, as I was doing that I even thought to myself "I bet I've got this wrong..." (yes, red is on the other side.) Fixing lights when you have a lot of them is a huge pain right now... I can't recall if I put them in their own Nav Light group or not. :oops:

5. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

I have to look it up, each time. :D But I'm now in the habit of creating groups right when I spawn the core, so I can avoid the dreaded light-search.

dichebach likes this.
  6. Isil`Zha

Isil`Zha Commander

I'm fairly new to the game, so I wasn't that smart yet; only picked it up during the sale ~2 weeks ago. I started sorting it (I know I at least had a "running lights" group at one point.) It would be nice if we could a) rename individual components, and b) just directly interact with a light to change it's settings rather than hunting for all similarly named items within the item list.

Also don't like the recent change which makes auto-grouping now separate thrusters based on direction... whenever I'm not piloting it, I shut all thrusters off on the CV - they actually suck a lot of power while just idle. Still got my one thruster group on this CV though.

7. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

THAT I can help you with. Point your cursor at the item you want to manipulate, and then open the control panel. :)

dichebach, Siege Inc. and Isil`Zha like this.
  8. Isil`Zha

Isil`Zha Commander

Well shoot, that's good to know, thanks!

9. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Add some more screenshots/pictures to both the forums and the steam workshop.

If you have never added pictures before, you will need to load the .png images that this game creates when it produces a screenshot into, say, Microsoft paint(save them in a separate folder for organization,) and then you can add them into steam.

Hey man, take your time and keep building! I can see promise to your stuff - remember that the designs are for you.

With each design you will create ideas, learn new block arrangements, and grow in confidence. After a few weeks or months it will be booming.

Also, a few tips about posting both here on these forums and on steam:

A. Never tell people on steam your vessels/bases are "meant for pvp" unless you are ready for a barrage of "experts" to tell you otherwise(they can be real a**hats. :)
    B. Always add a screenshot or two of the cost requirements for your ship.
    C. Also add a screenshot of the "info" part of the control panel
    D. Every once in a while, cut loose and make some craaaaaazy designs.
    E. If it helps, design some stuff for the a-sym thread - it might jog your creativity
    F. Always remember that there is not a "best" way of building.

10. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

-- A. Never tell people on steam your vessels/bases are "meant for pvp" unless you are ready for a barrage of "experts" to tell you otherwise(they can be real a**hats. :)

*Glances over at Tyrax .... nawww... he's not an asshat ;)

-- B. Always add a screenshot or two of the cost requirements for your ship.
    -- C. Also add a screenshot of the "info" part of the control panel

I rarely if ever do this for a couple reasons:
    1: After each major game update, it usually changes all the requirements and values of all those panels.
    2: Keeping the shots clean, ugly panels of info are not good for advertising.
    3: If someone skips trying out a new ship because of its costs? Meh... their problem, not mine ;)

But thats just me. I find it time consuming enough to have the decency to re-print all my blueprints and update, but to have to also get all the new panel shots in place too... ugh :D

11. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Frigidman's points are all sound; with the constant updating that occurs with this game, updating screenshots can be tedious - I have only done it a few times.

Therefore, I will amend my suggestions B. and C. - add screen shots of the control panel "info" screen and costs requirements if you were/are aiming your BA/HV/SV/CV towards a specific niche. Although it is not a CV, a good example is my new starter cement BA:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=797258063

Although it is physically "larger", since it is primarily cement, it is very accessible for brand new survival games that are fresh out of their escape pods and the people viewing the images may think that it is steel - a material that was once okay for early BA's, but is now something that players need to be careful of. And, to anticipate a thought that could occur to some new players perspectives; despite the fact that you could name the base "cement starter base" and then even include a description that the base is "primarily" made of cement, you would be surprised at how few people actually read, preferring to operate purely based on the screen shots.

____

I did not know that @Tyrax Lightning did this? :) :D:p:rolleyes:o_O

I was referring to the small groups or people that are... gosh they are not even trolls, they are just intensely good at being wielders of flat insults and negative energy. Sort of "masters of the thoughtless," and if you run into them by accident, it can be a real surprise, unpleasant, and leave a designer feeling pretty furious.

Tyrax Lightning and Frigidman like this.
  12. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I was just kidding around. Tyrax is heavy into the pvp side, so he tends to know when a ship would survive well or not.

But I DO understand what you meant in terms of 'steam prowlers'. There are plenty of trolls on steam, and add in the ability to comment on anyone's creations, just gives them even more venues to troll! I tend to keep deleting posts off my creations ;) Like, go away, dont they have anything better to do?

Fractalite and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  13. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Doubly so cause it's stupid to have to be limited to .jpg for Screenies for Workshop Entries, plus imho it's idiotic that we can't point the Workshop Page screenie adding thing to Screenies in our own Steam Screenies & have it Copy those over to the Workshop Item & stick them in. :mad:

Gotta love to Facepalm at the Illiterate. There's also peeps that build Ships that a Scout Ship would laugh at, call it a Warrior Ship, then scream bloody murder at OPness when blown up by an actual REAL Warrior Ship. :rolleyes:

Also, beware the temptation to put too much stock in Looks, sometimes they can Deceive. :D (One funny thing I did long ago on the RvB Server was make a Hardened Steel Base & Texture it in Concrete Texture pre-Combat Steel Implementation & no one ever knew the difference!)

I think Frigid was 'subtly implying' that some of us CAN think about PvP & simultaneously be able to act civil. :)

Frigidman and Fractalite like this.
  14. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Wait.... you can delete them?! *goes and checks his workshop files* Holy crap! You can! Ha! I love it. I did not know you could do that. :)

Tyrax Lightning and Frigidman like this.
  15. Isil`Zha

Isil`Zha Commander

Heh, at this point I'm PvE only. That being said, I am extremely capable in making a very competitive PvP ship with this type of block building. I was playing with the top clan of Robocraft before I got fed up with the direction the devs were taking it. If I make a PvP ship, it's going to have very complex underlying weave of layers of armor, a well protected core, and meticulously thought-out gun placement. I was never really good at making my designs overly aesthetically appealing, though. So I am also very aware of how people can be about what's wrong with a particular design. ;)

I shall grab those screenshots when I can. When I posted this it was just what I had on-hand already, and wasn't around my PC to fire up the game and grab those at the time. I shall definitely do so, though.

I expect I will try out some crazy designs once I get more time into it. Right now I'm just trying to think of ways to make the outer hull not be so... bland. Essentially, "detail work." Kind of stuck on that same issue for both this CV and an SV I've been working on.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  16. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Although there isn't a direct approach of just saying 'pick from steam screenshots'.. you can point the open dialog to the steam screenshot folder for EGS and select them that way.

Steam leaves a LOT to be desired for their 'managing your workshop item' front. Its almost like they copied something from the 90's and said 'its good enough, lets never touch it'.

17. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I did that at first, then later after this new Build it kept whining that it couldn't do some of them for stupid reasons including but not limited to File Sizes of even single Files or other idiocy & that was it for me, i'm too lazy for that kinda stupid stuff.

18. ECubed

ECubed Commander

I am nowhere good as you guys but this is the first published CV I made.

PvE/Single Player CV designed to act as a mobile operations center. As a an engineer IRL, I am not good at making artistic and pretty items so I apologize if it this looks like it came from Honest Harry's Butt Ugly Ship Store. There is an open lobby on bottom for easy access to O2, Medic station, and a cargo box for ground activities. the lobby also has a cockpit above it. If the front hanger door is open, you can place the nose exactly where you want it as shown in the screenshot. There is also a aft window up there also to make sure you positioned the backside correctly. The sentry turrets surrounding the lobby area are primarily for hostiles. I typically set these on predators and they clean their clocks while you can mine or harvest in peace. The sentry turrets in the hanger area are in the Always On group. Their purpose in life is to gaurd ships should the hanger door not close. Nothing like coming back to a drone blasting a cored ship because you forgot to flip the miniguns on. The control panel also has a few reserve thrusters underneath for people that enjoy high gravity planets. Vexray's Andromeda comes to mind as an over 3G planet. That'll make your chin droop down to your belt but at least you'll be able to take off of the sob without getting trapped.

The lobby is directly below the hanger. Jump in, hit the door in the back, and run up the rabbit hole. Quick access to your ship. When you land, the warehouse/storage is the first room you'll hit after the hanger. Right after that is crafting. Even though you can hit P, it's still nice to have your storeroom right next to crafting. go up from there to the Bridge. Engineering is directly behind the Bridge. As expected, you'll find all the important crap here. The sides are hardened steel. The blocks next to the ammo boxes and fuel tanks are combat steel. The fuel tanks and RCSes are split so one ugly barrage will not cripple you. The other ship blocks are regular steel. From here you can either go up the stairs to the farm or go through the aft door to the hanger's observation deck. Both the farm and engineering have access to the external ship parking. I included 3 "ex-wife" pictures to show the innards. I'm not married, but I figure this is what an ex-wife would do to a ship in a divorce.

If you are not able to get at the entrance, the nose has access to the crafting area in both the front and back. I made sure to put this in after getting locked out of my ship because the only entrance was the bottom (was blocked) and the back via a hanger bay (that was over a cliff). so there are three ways in: Lobby, Nose, and hanger. You would need an elevated position to hit the hanger using your jump-pack but there is a ledge to land on if it's closed.

The miniguns are meant for drones and cover the sides/top. The flak turrents are meant for protection in space. The rockets are also meant for space as secondary coverage. All the turrets are labeled with their location should you need to see what is happening outside. Hopefully we'll get cameras one day. Would help for observing and landing.

This ship does not have any materials outside of the starer planets. Albeit the cost maybe high for a new person particularly in the iron and silicon. Once you get the coils, you can upgrade the constructors and add a repair bay. The center box on top is ideal. It opens above the warp coil.

I hope you enjoy it. If you like it or hate, rank it up or down. Feel free to comment.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=801422341

Attached Files:

19. Bretpac

Bretpac Lieutenant

20. Dinkelsen

Dinkelsen Captain

The image with the ant farm view of the ship is a really cool idea. I'd rather not aks why this image is named "Ex Wife02.jpg"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.