Chainsaw needs rebalanced

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Pach, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

So, tonight, my buddies and I went to grab some logs for biofuel... so we made some chainsaws. And... went back to using the survival tool, because the chainsaws were a waste of time and resources.

The chainsaw does not show you the damage you are doing (doesn't display the tree health).

I compared the chainsaw vs. the survival tool on trees on Masperon that have 322 health.

Both tools take about 30 seconds to cut down the tree. However, the chainsaw uses almost a full can of fuel to cut down one of these 322 health trees. This means you also have a reload time thrown in there every so often, and it costs you a can of fuel (1/3 of a log) to cut down each tree.

Compare this to the survival tool, which takes the exact same amount of cutting time, has NO reload time, and does not use up resources to cut down the tree.

Chainsaw needs three tweaks:

1. Fix so it shows the tree health bar. :p
    2. Reduce how fast the fuel is consumed. You should get at least twice as much use out of it. A whole can of fuel for ONE tree? :eek:
    3. Increase damage done to trees by the chainsaw, so it can mow trees down faster than the survival tool, even with reloads. Recommend at least 25% (50% would be better).
    This would make the chainsaw a much better upgrade to the survival tool, despite the cost of fuel (much faster tree cutting.

Thanks for listening...

2. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I second all of this, and wish to add that the HV harvester is also incredibly lackluster. I usually end up opening the item menu and then gifting myself 4k of wood because wood cutting is so tedious.

Perhaps there could also be multiple tiers of chainsaw(and HV harvester) with the higher tiers possessing an area of effect? Plus, bonus points for laser chainsaws because the survival tool is ALREADY a laser chainsaw so it seems a little silly that the "higher" tier base chainsaw is mechanical.

Peter Conway likes this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Commander

Dual harvesters are much more efficient than single one's. This is my go-to HV setup early game as resources are at such a premium, it doubles as an outdoor enemy shredder. Save those bullets for POI's! (The in-game stock "Timberwolf" HV is a good early game dual harvester HV that is cheap).

Not to mention the whole new " Carbon" (substrate) new ore resource thing has dropped the tree cutting requirement down a bit, other than for biofuel. (Reforged/Eden notwithstanding :rolleyes: ) Just a suggestion...

4. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

I'll mention these additional limitations for chainsaws:

1) The mass/volume of the fuel you need to carry around for chainsaw reloads which is not insignificant when you have no suit or just the light one.
    2) Can't use chainsaw with the F5 drone whereas you can use the Survival Tool. If you try using the drone & chainsaw the saw makes an animation as though cutting (except no chips fly off ) so there is no feedback that you're wasting your time and fuel (aside from the lack of chips flying off as a clue).

On snow world starts I cut my trees via drone while my character stays warm in the back of an SV or HV (has a ceiling shutter door to allow drone deployment). Would be quicker work if the drone would work with a chainsaw, though.

Pach likes this.
  5. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Good point. This is likely because the chainsaw is also a weapon, and you cannot fire any weapon through the drone.

6. DiMithras

DiMithras Lieutenant

Flamethrower is a banger now. Cuts trees in 1-2 shots.

7. TK85

TK85 Captain

Place this file in the folder:

X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Configuration

Where X is the HD/SSD where the game is installed.

This file modifies the parameter "DamageMultiplier_1" to 0.5 and the problem is solved.

Edit: Modify only the chainsaw parameter

Attached Files:

8. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    • Administrator
    The Config.ecf should not be used anymore as its outdated and not supported any longer.
    If you want to make changes result to the BlocksConfig, ItemsConfig and Templates.ecf files

The Config.ecf is only still existent for API Modders as they need it to read the ItemIds

9. TK85

TK85 Captain

???

Taelyn, the changes I made to the config file still work...

I even entered the game just to confirm, and took a print of one of the modifications:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just an example, all modifications are working...

10. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    • Administrator
    Some work, most not. Hence its not longer supported. You really need to switch to the Original Files we added

TK85 likes this.
  11. TK85

TK85 Captain

Yes, yes I will pass the modifications to the files you mentioned.
    I always keep track of updates, but the end of support for the Config file went unnoticed...

Taelyn likes this.
  12. blooddragon606

blooddragon606 Captain

Large trees should yield more (a lot more) logs than they do. I get 4 logs from a gangly bush in the swamp. A mighty Oak? Sure, I'll burn a tank of biofuel, but the yield? Maybe 6. Howabout 100?
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?

builder680, TK85 and Peter Conway like this.