[Challenge] Dual Small Generator CV - Complete

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Robot Shark, Dec 4, 2017.

?

Who gets the bragging rights?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2018.
  1. sillyrobot's Tiny Hawk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Razorwire's Cottonmouth

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Fluffy's Dumbo Dome

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. KwC TrixX's BlueBottle

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Kahrek's The Challenger V2.5

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Siege Inc.'s Argos Explorer

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  7. rucky's Challenger One LX

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  8. Zaflis's Mini Crystal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. CatmanDoes's Blockade Runner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. StyleBBQ's A7.5 CV_B20v1 Lvl10 Has: Warp AdvConstrc Medbay. No-GravGen

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

@Fluffy, thanks for doing such an attentive job with the challenge. The screenshot of all the entries to date is a very nice touch.

MEKNET1977, StyleBBQ and monktk like this.
  2. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

@Fluffy speaking of challenge entries I think I need to remove one of mine. Not really fair having two entries. Not that I'm hoping to "win" anything. I've enjoyed building something for your challenge.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Robot Shark and MEKNET1977 like this.
  3. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Ok, I have removed it from the save file.

Siege Inc. likes this.
  4. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Looks like a Mos Isley used ship lot, awesome! :D:D

Yay, spawnable! Yay, feedback! "Thankfully Thursday" indeed :).
    Airtight door choice was intentional for bay because I've lost too many hanger doors running away from mean rabbits... and I'm too cheap to run AC when it's only 92 degrees outside! (kidding:p , though actually I do tend to lose hanger doors all too regularly. Likely more so with this one since it's not very maneuverable :(. Adding an airtight force emitter to back up the hanger door, then changing man-door to glass would be a solid upgrade choice)

Good tip, added railings left & right of pilot chair; can still hop down by walking across core but should prevent accidents.

Yeah, jetpack is weird in Creative, find the always on sound effect really annoying. I tend to always have jetpack on in SP so built ship with that in mind (including side entrances) but your recommendation to add an elevator block after rotating door is an easy and elegant fix; done :).
    Debating adding two more grow plots & an O2 Station, and maybe an Armor stand? Either that or your suggestion to add two walkways to access plots...
    I'm such a power miser I never have BA/CV O2 Stations or Armor lockers; always rely on tiny HVs for those, heh. Good to stretch the brain a bit.
    Just tried adding two plots & O2 Station, liking it. Can't bring myself to add Armor stand or 2nd ventilator for bay. Workshop updated.

upload_2017-12-14_22-31-17.jpeg upload_2017-12-14_22-31-40.jpeg upload_2017-12-14_22-31-51.jpeg

5. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Captain

Mos Eisley, you mean? (Yes, I looked it up) . Most definitely :)

StyleBBQ likes this.
  6. Razorwire

Razorwire Captain

Nice!
    Guess I'll now have to figure out how the Workshop works and upload mine :D

Robot Shark likes this.
  7. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Mos definitely. :D

StyleBBQ likes this.
  8. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

CV10_StyxA_073Egg1 (Public BP) or just "The Egg", prototype 1 with no styling.
    Small and maneuverable CV, 0.73Kt, level 10.
    It have most stuff so can serve as a mobile base, 18 plant plots.
    Not equipped with Repair Station or Medic Station, but space reserved (2x 1x2).
    Warp Engine can be put on the back, just remove the light and shutter ramp, tank already fitted.
    Unprotected, but can slap on a bunch of weapons if needed, just would look a bit odd (no weapons can be mounted on a slope unfortunately).
    Bridge can be destroyed or punctuated, a second pilot seat in the main compartment.
    Landing gear not retractable or able to be rotated in all angles (sideways and upside down), sadly.
    CV10_StyxA_073Egg1_Front.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Robot Shark, Kahrek, StyleBBQ and 2 others like this.
  9. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

I like the egg. A nice concept, curious to see the final product.

*Insert humpty dumpty meme here*

Cheers!

StyxAnnihilator likes this.
  10. Malekh

Malekh Captain

I've been following this thread for a while, and finally decided (got drunk enough) to put forwards a version of my disposable cv which should meet the requirements for the challenge. (steam doesn't like me trying to publish blueprints, so i've included the direct file here) Had to do a bit of upscaling to it to fit the conditions (the original version is pretty barebones, as fits a disposable cv), but i submit for consideration:

the.... something or other!

edit: slight change to the blueprint, added more engines to the 'roll' axis of travel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  11. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Sadly, the ship takes 127% from the generators, so it does not meet the challenge.
    The player does take both heat and radiation from the gravity generator in the grow pot section of the ship.

Not part of the challenge...
    The ship reminds me of one of the old classics, the WARPocket. All thrusters are exposed (behind vents), and the spotlights are not buried.
    However, it does appears unfinished, with many components hanging in the air (including the landing gear).

I could not get the generators past 79% during flight and I could not roast myself in the cabin.
    The ship is also under the weight limit, so it meets the challenge.

Good color and texture work, components are accessible to the player W/O having to use the control panel.
    Thursters and spotlights are exposed, making the craft believable from a role playing standpoint.
    The asymmetrical landing pad on the side with switch-controlled ramps is a very nice touch.

12. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

New screenshot.
    Again, pad 4 are just some things I have been tweaking and are not included in the challenge.

20171216000128_1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  13. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

@Fluffy OK, thx. It was supposed to not be an "Egg", but with even more pointy edges. Sadly no blocks available to make it so, to give it a more alien/differenet look. See if I make a "finished" version or an other one. Are probably thrusters that peeks the power consumption, I rather leave space for expansion. Since the game is still EA, I do not use much time on cosmetics or builds. Function before looks ;-)

BTW: Is Gravity Generator optional, a bonus point to have?

14. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

The gravity generator is bonus points, it's also tricky because it poses a hazard to the player.
    The max I could push the generators was 78%, I did not roast in the cabin, and it's fully oxygenated.
    Nice update.

7.5 is out, so it's tweaking time with the new forcefield blocks (among other things)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    monktk and StyleBBQ like this.
  15. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

CV07_StyxA_075Dia2 or "The Diamond", version 2. Kept it to level 7 so could get it relatively soon.
    Have most base functions.
    No weapons at the moment, but can easily be fitted and already 4 ammo boxes.
    Space for adding Repair Station, Medic Station, Warp Tank, more of other tanks.
    Warp Drive can be slapped on, no reserved space.
    Thrusters can be added or changed, now as few as get under the power consumption % requirements.
    Bunch of storage, where containers are used to make the bridge a separate O2 zone.
    Else extra Large Constructor and Food Processor, so can always remove those and put in whatever.
    27 grow plots and 6 fridges (T1).
    Hangar that can take 1-2 small SV/HV. Repair Bay could also be put in.

Shutter Windows covering thrusters and a second Pilot Seat in main compartment planned added in version 3, due to some combat experience that revealed some weaknesses in those areas ...
    C73Acv1_2017-12-17_07-06-40.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  16. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

The max I could get the generators to was 82%, no roasted pilot, and under the weight limit.
    So it meets the challenge.

Spotlights and thrusters are exposed, with the exception of fuel and O2 most internal devices are accessible so the player does not need to use the control panel.
    There are numerous places where the player can fall down (like between the refrigerators, and on the bridge) and have to jetpack out.
    It looks like the entire ship was made using almost nothing but cube blocks. The only diagonal lines I found were ramps and a few blocks over the bridge. Interesting aesthetic.
    The rear ramps do not reach the ground, requiring the player to jetpack into the hangar.

Side note, 3 RCS units is overpowered for a ship this size/weight. I would recommend only one, maybe two.

monktk likes this.
  17. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

@Fluffy Thanks for your feedback (and from others on any of my builds).

:DBackstory: A crashed and very damaged vessel were found in a secret location. Made supposedly from some ancient aliens that appreciated functionality, geometrical shapes and simplicity. Only fractions of the database could be decoded. This "Diamond" shaped vessel was an attempt to recreate it with the limitations of the building materials we have today, the challenge added even more obstacles. :eek:

Normally this vessel would have armored blocks, more thrusters, weapons, upgraded fridges and so on. Then most of your side notes would have been "corrected", but then not inside the borders of the challenge. :cool: Could have moved the Pilot seat one block back, then a transparent shutter slope down to the door. Put in an elevator and then the door below. Now it is more of an emergency hatch. Many other ways to do stuff, but this were the result for now. :rolleyes:

binhthuy71 likes this.
  18. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Just updated ship to add a second descent thruster. So now 10 total thrusters. Updated Workshop but honestly starting to feel bad for all the time @Fluffy , so 100% okay by me if you ignore this. Heck she's at best an 'also ran' in -this- field anyway so no hard feelings! :D

I did do something that might be of interest; posted a new item (-not- for this challenge!) where I stripped out all the goodies, so basically just a chassis. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1235051317

No Neo or Sath, only 5 Cobalt. For a build as you go game. I know I tear down the crashed CV to get enough bits for first CV, thought, "why not just have a chassis for the Factory, and add as I can?" So no generator, thrusters, guns, warp, O2/fuel tanks, etc. Downgraded everything so no Sathium. Already thinking of possibly going further; remove all the cube blocks, use just enough trusses to hold it together. Then build out the shell with salvaged Steel/Hardened/Combat as you can. Now if only there was a way to include full blueprints...

binhthuy71 likes this.
  19. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

If you are talking about the ship below, I destroyed and re-spawned it.
    I cannot get the generators past 79%, so it still qualifies.
    A7.5 CV_B20v1 Lvl10 Has: Warp AdvConstrc Medbay. No-GravGen
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1230999507

StyleBBQ likes this.
  20. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Great idea! Thank you. I'm ready to stop testing and play a game through. This would add a nice challenge. It will be fun to see what I can come up with and how far the idea takes me.

StyleBBQ likes this.