[Challenge] Dual Small Generator CV - Complete

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Robot Shark, Dec 4, 2017.

?

Who gets the bragging rights?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2018.
  1. sillyrobot's Tiny Hawk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Razorwire's Cottonmouth

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Fluffy's Dumbo Dome

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. KwC TrixX's BlueBottle

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Kahrek's The Challenger V2.5

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Siege Inc.'s Argos Explorer

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  7. rucky's Challenger One LX

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  8. Zaflis's Mini Crystal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. CatmanDoes's Blockade Runner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. StyleBBQ's A7.5 CV_B20v1 Lvl10 Has: Warp AdvConstrc Medbay. No-GravGen

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

It's a weakness I share, it gets worse when we have a new release that introduces new blocks.

I have updated the blueprint in the save file.

You may want to take a look at the two armored mobile spawn points on pad 4 in the save file to see how I addressed the fragile spotlight. Another suggestion, give "Ramp Bottom A" a look, I find it invaluable when trying to blend in thin wall/truss blocks.
    Just some suggestions.

20171227205307_1.jpg

20171227204009_1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    JDaremo Fireheart and Malekh like this.
  2. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

Okay Take 3!

*Warning: The attached file says V2.5 but the ship is now V2.6, file name does not update even if ship name does*

A short list of changes. Hopefully I have not forgotten anything.
    - Reworked rear landing gears so they no longer just "stick out"
    - Inspired myself from Fluffy's Dumbo Dome and added a second level to my docking bay with a bit of storage
    - Added a switch on bottom of ship and one on docking bay that opens door and lowers ramp. Signal logic XOR
    - Added allot of decor and truss blocks to mid ship section
    - Reworked hallway to bridge
    - Reworked engineering slightly
    - Added a sunroof. Not perfect because bridge door can get in the way but going to work that out for a post challenge release

As always comments, suggestions and scathing critiques are all welcome.

Cheers!

Cheap video.

Shameless workshop promotion
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1224660414

Side 2.jpg Side.jpg Top Perspective.jpg Docking Bay.jpg New Storage.jpg New hallway.jpg Bridge.jpg Night 1.jpg Night 2.jpg

Attached Files:

JDaremo Fireheart and Siege Inc. like this.
  3. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

You managed to shave 2 tonnes off the weight, nice. I hope you updated the workshop item as well.

Side note, you can change the name after it has been uploaded to the workshop, but it's a pain.

1. Edit the description of the workshop item to the desired name.
    2. Go to your Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Saves\Blueprints\<Steam ID> folder and manually change the blueprints folder to match the new name.
    -----IMPORTANT: Make sure you leave the __######### alone, this number is what links it to the workshop item.
    3. Open the folder and manually change the screenshot and blueprints filenames to match.
    -----DO NOT CHANGE THE .*** extension.
    4. Start the game, then update the blueprint to the steam workshop in game.

Kahrek and binhthuy71 like this.
  4. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

Probably will not bother with changing it for this ship but it is very nice to know it can be done.

Cheers!

5. T431

T431 Captain

I've been trying for a while to make something for this, and I think I got it!
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1247935738
    20171228232425_1.jpg
    I present to you: The T4 Apex!

My main priorities was making this ship as complete as can be, and having good looks (in my opinion at least).
    In terms of weight I cut it pretty close, it weighs 999 tons, still it's below one kiloton.
    I even had to "weaken" the hull just to make it, but I didn't want to sacrifice the looks of this ship.

6. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I could not roast myself anywhere in the cabin, cabin has O2, and just barely under the weight limit.
    The generators go to 97% during flight, so it's using too much power for the challenge.
    As for only the landing gear & ramps touching the ground...

20171228190932_1.jpg

Not part of the challenge: Very good texture work, the side shields on the drive section are a nice touch.
    All the thrusters are hidden within the ship. If the devs ever enable thruster burn the ship will blow itself apart.
    Having an upside-down Constructor, O2 station, & Armor locker as the floor just in front of the grow pots is an interesting touch.

I personally try to avoid walkway blocks on the exterior of a ship because of their very low HP value.
    But thats just an observation.

That is a very unique build for the landing pad, while the use of railings for the rear landing gear is a unique concept, that still counts as hull blocks touching the ground.

20171228234542_1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  7. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

The underslung landing pad is a great innovation. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

8. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Got time for one more?

Agni-class courier

In brief, because it's half an hour past O'dark-thirty for me...

3 crew (because we don't have a passenger seat that's also a console o_O),
    857 tons
    Max 81% on Omicron
    Interior and exterior switched for doors
    Lights on sensors or CP group
    Large Constructor in CP group
    Sanitary facilities
    Double bunks
    Armor locker
    O2 station
    Med station
    Food processor
    1 T1 fridges
    2 miniguns
    Warp drive

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1248323209

[​IMG]

9. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

I like this. Going to check it out tomorrow :)

10. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

The ship is under the weight limit, I could not get the generators beyond 81%, and I did not roast anywhere in the cabin.

But there is no O2 in the forward cabin.
    Please note, O2 tanks are not airtight. While the trapdoor & landing gear is a nice effect, you are mounting the forward landing gear directly on a O2 tank. Neither of which are airtight.

Not part of the challenge: Excellent texture work and good use of deco items.
    I almost missed the switches above the rear doors.
    No grow pots, but you have all the other goodies for a mobile base and they are directly accessible by the player.
    The only items that is not directly accessible are the warp tank and fuel tanks.
    All thrusters and spotlights are exposed.

Since the rear entries are protected by ramps you may want to think about replacing the armored doors with forcefield blocks.
    While forcefield blocks take more power, they have less mass, and you would be able to retract the upper ramp and walk right out.

11. T431

T431 Captain

Thanks for the feedback, I'll make some modifications so it meets the requirements.

Landing gear should be easy, though it won't look as good.
    Thrust is going to be the main issue here I guess, while I'm at it I'll try to make all thrusters external.

12. T431

T431 Captain

Ok, I have made some changes to my ship, the landing gear now meets the requirements, and I lowered the amount of thrusters so it doesn't redline. I wasn't able to have all thrusters exposed in a way that would look good, we really need diagonal small thrusters.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1247935738
    20171229114853_1.jpg
    Let's just hope the devs won't make thrusters burn blocks.

monktk and Robot Shark like this.
  13. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Argh... that fwd landing gear was a last-minute change. I'll figure out a fix and update later. Probably just swap that tank for a cargo box :oops:

The door/hatch/ramp combo is an aesthetic choice, but always willing to hear feedback

*Edit* Aaand updated. Good excuse for another cup of coffee before heading to the store

Robot Shark likes this.
  14. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

The generators now max out at 81%, you also managed to get the weight down to 960 tonnes, so now you have some more room to play with.
    Since the hull blocks and power usage were the only issues, the ship meets the challange and has been added to the collection.

Not part of the challenge: From a playability standpoint, an LCD screen advising novice players about the location of the Constructor, Armor locker, & O2 station. The only reason I initially found them was because I was moving through the ship in god mode.
    From a new player / roleplaying standpoint if you could extend the lower cabin and make them visible to the player...
    Again, not part of the challenge, the game allows it, but I'm also thinking about novice players.

Window blocks are much thinner than hull blocks for mounting the growlight, but that is purely aesthetic.

Since you now have more weight to play around with, I would recommend replacing the 30 20 Kg / 25 HP walkway blocks (0.6 tonnes) with either 120 kg / 250 hp (3.6 tonnes) thin truss blocks or 500 kg / 250 HP (15 tonnes) thin steel plate. Again, just a suggestion.

A suggestion from an amusement standpoint, player turrets mounted on the overhang above the cabin.
    It's not much firepower to compensate for the turret you had to remove, but they weigh only 150 kg and you get the amusement of watching them fire from within the cabin.

20171229073755_1.jpg

The depressurized cabin was the only glitch on the original design, and you solved that quite nicely.
    The ship meets the challenge now and has been added to the collection.

Side notes: I was looking at the small cargo boxes you were using in the cabin and thinking of what would happen if you replaced two of them with a large one, then I did the math. The two combine for total of 70 storage slots for the same weight as a single large container.
    ... which only has 63 cargo slots. Because you made me realize this, I replaced the two large containers on my ship with 4 small containers.
    (I guess I need to start going over my old blueprints and begin replacing large storage containers with small ones.)

Was coloring only one side of this intentional?

20171229074528_1.jpg

15. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Heh... nope. That falls under the "half past O'dark-thirty" comment ;) Think I'll chalk it up to poor maintenance for now and paint it later.

Re: the cargo boxes... it was my son that pointed that out to me, but the large containers are still best if you have to access them from the small end. Last couple plays, I've been using these cargo pallets I made for storage anyway. They're 4x4x8 small, so exactly the size of a large box... but hold 54x63 stacks each. The O2 and fuel versions aren't as efficient at storage, but they're aesthetic. They each still hold more than a T2 tank, but also don't feed into the ship systems.

[​IMG]

16. T431

T431 Captain

I never thought of placing turrets there, that's a good idea!
    On the floor mounted constructor, I considered the player to be curious as to why that part of the floor is different, and find out it's the constructor that way, but LED's are a good idea. It'll be hard to find a good place to put them though, but I'll give it a shot.

You surely spend a lot of time looking at ways to improve the submissions, good job with that.

EDIT: I've updated the ship, the sentry turret seems to have a higher DPS than the minigun or cannon turret. It fires at 300RMP with 60 damage per shot, instead of 600RMP that deal 8 damage, but the range is a lot worse. Just an observation.

I haven't changed the walkway blocks since I think they look good there, and enemy fire will most likely not be focused on the landing pad anyway.

Robot Shark likes this.
  17. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I will be opening the poll tomorrow so everyone can vote for their favorite.

Please note, if we have more qualified submissions than the forum software can handle I will post as many as I can, give it two days, then remove the bottom submissions and add the remainder of the entries to the poll. So if you do not see your favorite ship the first time around do not worry and wait for me to update the poll.

Everyone whose ship did not meet the challenge, now is the time to see if you can correct the items that made it unsafe/etc.

< glares at @SirKnumskull >
    Especially when you have posted a very nice ship that meets the majority of the requirements and only needs to replace one long window with 2 "L" windows to keep players away from the gravity generator.

There is one other ship that has a very easy fix I would love to include in the final poll.
    @TheDeadlyShoe Zulu-3, the only thing disqualifying it is the glass hull blocks touching the ground.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  18. T431

T431 Captain

Stupid question, but how do I actually import the world for viewing? I just can't figure it out..

19. SirKnumskull

SirKnumskull Captain

Go to your Empyrion folder:
    - right click on the game in your library
    - go to the local files tab
    - click browse local files
    - navigate to saves and then games
    - drop the folder from the zip file here

Now you have added the save, now you just need to add your player file. You can simply take that from any other save of yours. It is the file that is a long number as a file name with the .ply extension. Simply copy that over into the player folder of the imported save game (or rename the existing file).

Now you can load the save game like one of your own.

20. T431

T431 Captain

Ah, I didn't know about the player file thing. Thanks.