[Challenge] Dual Small Generator CV - Complete

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Robot Shark, Dec 4, 2017.

?

Who gets the bragging rights?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2018.
  1. sillyrobot's Tiny Hawk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Razorwire's Cottonmouth

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Fluffy's Dumbo Dome

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. KwC TrixX's BlueBottle

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Kahrek's The Challenger V2.5

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Siege Inc.'s Argos Explorer

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  7. rucky's Challenger One LX

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  8. Zaflis's Mini Crystal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. CatmanDoes's Blockade Runner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. StyleBBQ's A7.5 CV_B20v1 Lvl10 Has: Warp AdvConstrc Medbay. No-GravGen

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

that is one wild bunch :)

[​IMG]

binhthuy71 likes this.
  2. SirKnumskull

SirKnumskull Captain

Crossposting from what did you do today like a true shitposter! ;)

thumbnail.jpg

signal_logic.jpg

rear_with_ramp.jpg stats.jpg upper_deck.jpg lower_deck.jpg port_ramp.jpg rear_quarter.jpg

Workshop link will follow soon™.

883 tons, doesn't redline on Omicron and has a whopping 9 motion sensors and 3 levers. Automate everything!
    Features:
    - thrusters and RCS turn on when you sit down in the pilot seat, auto off if you leave, override in control panel
    - ramps will only extend when noone is in the pilot seat, override in control panel
    - ramps stay extended once you approach them and auto-restract when you get in the cockpit
    - power to constructor and food processor on motion sensors, override levers next to the machine
    - gravity gen only active while there is activity in the ship
    - lockdown lever that prevents ramps from extending and keep the hangar door shut
    - front spotlight turns on and off with engines, override in control panel
    - landing pad flares turn off in flight

Workshop isn't letting me upload (because busy) right now, so you will have to live with manually adding the blueprint.

Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1224449591

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  3. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

Thank you very much for the feedback. Just got home and going to work on that. In regards to your comment about it being the most heavily armed ship to be presented all I have to say is.

Maxim 55. It's only too many weapons if they're pointing in the wrong direction.

I was going to fit 4 rocket launchers to it too then I realized they use fancy shmancy ore now. High explosives should never come at a high cost to you and always at too high a cost for the enemy.

Cheers!

Robot Shark likes this.
  4. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

:D Considering that I use Maxim 37 in my signature...

For the folks wondering what Kahrek and I are talking about:
    The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

I was thinking of my entry as a yacht or science vessel, that's why I did not arm it heavily.
    Perhaps I need to reevaluate that decision, but I am only 5 tonnes away from the weight limit.

rucky likes this.
  5. KwC TrixX

KwC TrixX Lieutenant

I had a similar thought for mine, less for combat, more a scout for mining and atmospheric nosing about. Really need CV to CV docking so you can land something like this on a larger space bound CV. Hell the Revolution One small vessel is almost the same size as the Bluebottle :D

6. Zaflis

Zaflis Commander

Don't have a ship to show yet but i'm looking for inspiration in this thread for sure. OP didn't say it should be mobile base, but a starter CV. The first CV you make with scrapes of resources you get from little mining. Many included list of devices they do have, but here's things i don't want on it:
    - Constructor
    - Food processor
    - Fridge
    - O2 station
    - Weapons
    (Torn on if it should have medic... you're not gonna fight with POI's anyway so why?)
    .. Starter CV is for docking a SV on it, and you can have most of the devices like O2 station and fridge on that instead. They'll be closer to you when you land to planet. The SV will have a ventilated room for drone mining, to keep in mind the size of docking needs for CV. Currently my blueprint is pretty much 7x7 or something platform with a simple sealed but not ventilated glassroom for cockpit, just to keep it warm and cozy. With the CV you can warp, leave it to orbit, gather endgame resources and finally then build the real base CV.

Not trying to force a playstyle to anyone though, you play the way you like. This is however how i understand "Starter CV" and in combination to original post.

7. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

Okay here you have it. My actual final submission to this challenge. I wracked my brain for a good 10 hours today thinking of a paint job to finally settle on something simple that uses lighting more than over texturing to achieve the desired effect. There are still some touch ups to do before I post this ship to my steam workshop but since this weekend is shaping up to be very busy I wanted to get my submission out tonight.

I present to you, The Challenger V2.5

NewGame_2017-12-08_02-00-39.jpg NewGame_2017-12-08_02-00-56.jpg NewGame_2017-12-08_02-01-01.jpg NewGame_2017-12-08_02-01-15.jpg NewGame_2017-12-08_02-01-31.jpg NewGame_2017-12-08_02-01-52.jpg NewGame_2017-12-08_02-02-01.jpg NewGame_2017-12-08_02-02-31.jpg

I went for broke and decided to make a ship that was as close to the limits of this challenge as my skills would allow me to do. Major changes from my WIP version.

1-) Used taller landing gear so bottom blocks could not impact ground when landing.
    2-) Turrets up from 10 to the max of 12 including a second one midship on the bottom (better fire arcs overall)
    3-) Finalized deco
    4-) Took all of Fluffy's suggestion and remade the engineering section.
    5-) Warp tank now with warp core, no direct player access (That irks me but so be it for this ship)
    6-) Hallways should be completely safe now
    7-) Gravity generator acessible but isolated. No O2 tanks in radiated area (Something tells me that would not be cool)

Visit the ship at night, the effect is much better. As always any commentary or suggestions are welcome. Bear in mind that this is my first time playing with lighting and glow textures to create the decor. Mileage may vary :)

Cheers!

Attached Files:

8. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

I get what you mean but for me a starter CV means what I can build after clearing (or nearly) the planet I am on and local space. With SVs having a limited jump range you only really need a CV when you are truly ready to start exploring. My philosophy goes something like this "Everything you need, nothing you don't".

That's the great thing with Empyrion. Whatever floats your boat (or lifts your ship) goes. If you are looking for minimilistic builds go take a look at the first challenge fluffy ran. There are some really good and inexpensive builds there. You may find something to inspire you.

Cheers!

rucky likes this.
  9. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

It handles well and 80% is the highest I could get the generators to go. It's under the weight limit, and has nice texture work.

Nice way to make a ramp and glass door airtight. You are using the thin block trick to make things airtight that normally are not.
    Ventilators behind non-airtight walkway blocks, nice. Very nice detailing around the generators. I cannot get close enough to the forward thruster (thanks to the sloped window) to get roasted. There is a LOT of signal work on this one, I think I will be studying that for a while.

You can walk right up the the gravity generator, which puts out a low amount of radiation and heat. Even though the default suit can handle it, removing the window just before the generator and replacing it with a pair of "L" window blocks would keep people away.

10. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Your texture work is very nice, and I'm not growing a 3rd eye unless I open the door to engineering and walk in.
    No roasting as I walk around the ship. Performance and energy usage is very close to the original.

I had to spawn a 3rd base for my testing area, so here is the current lineup.

20171208002912_1.jpg

11. SirKnumskull

SirKnumskull Captain

As Kahrik already said the beauty of Empyrion is that you can fit all the builds to your own needs.

Many builds here do not fit with my philosophy with early game CVs either, for example I see early game CVs as a way to ferry SVs and HVs around and that is the reason why all the early game builds I made offer plenty of space to carry stuff around. Some of the other builds here offer very little in the way of carrying HVs at all. But that is ok, you can play and build as you like.

And challenges like this offer you a way of seeing the building philosophy of others in many cases even with explanations why they did something. So much to learn from that!

Robot Shark and Siege Inc. like this.
  12. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

Yes you're right! I always want at least one SV to go with me, but for small CVs mostly just leave / set up some places outside (roof / bottom) to attach them. I've updated my second post to show the locations for a small SV and a micro-sized SV or HV.

13. KwC TrixX

KwC TrixX Lieutenant

Indeed, personally I tend to like responsive and functional ships and as I seem to get stuck playing solo quite often I tend to build around a solo use ship. I rarely need more than one HV or SV so with mine having the carrying capacity of two HV and one SV already it's more than needed.

Weapon wise I would probably fit a single Minigun turret on or possibly 2 if needed, but it's meant to be a fast scout vessel that can deploy a mining HV to effectively speed up harvesting of minerals required to build larger and more functional CV's/SV's/HV's.

14. Razorwire

Razorwire Captain

Truth.
    I tend to use early CVs as a ferry/forward-HQ for mining runs; a mobile smelter, management for status effects & my avatar bars (hunger, health etc), and a respawn point. Hence my entry here has 3 compact-HV docking clamps, food prep/storage, O2 station, medical deco & the medic pod, and not much else. It's not even armed, and this is the "luxury" enlarged version! I have a proper bare-bones CV that I often use early game, but it didn't fit the challenge parameters (looks like a bunch of flying parts, has too many hot-spots, and redlines in Omicron atmosphere).

Once I hit lvl15-20 I generally ditch the base entirely and use a fully fitted CV as a mobile base instead, though I do carry parts for a tiny 2x3x1 repair-bay BA (core/starterblock, genny, fuel and repair pad, just in case). Not much a BA can do for me that a CV can't at that point.

15. KwC TrixX

KwC TrixX Lieutenant

Indeed, not much of a BA fan, locks you to a single location too much. Most of my larger CV's are geared towards mobile bases now. I only have 2 that I combat prepared.

16. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

I was just trying to come in under the weight limit on this one and keep it functional. I definitely need more practice building smaller vessels. :p

Robot Shark likes this.
  17. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

I've updated the Tiny Hawk with 2 generators http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1221717694

Unlike many of the entries, it should withstand a few drone attacks or other incidental/accidental combats. The front and other more important blocks are hardened steel and windows are kept to a minimum. The 1 kTon limit prevents much more hardening. The ship comes in less than 2 kTons fully hardened.

It has a problem though. Plants won't grow in the farm and I can't find a reason.

It's oxygenated and temperature controlled. The grow light is on and is at the right height. But' I've left the ship running for 45 minutes and the sprouts didn't change. Here's a picture. Anyone have an idea?

farm.jpg

Robot Shark likes this.
  18. Zaflis

Zaflis Commander

Do you have any bad radiation source like generator or warpdrive inside same room? Otherwise it may just need more time for those sprouts to grow. At least they're not dead right?

19. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

My understanding is radiation, like heat, only extends a single square from source.

Radiation levels reports 0 when I'm standing on the farm squares. The farms in my active game take less time to grow.

20. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

You're testing in Survival... do you?

DO YOU?!

(Sprouts won't grow in Creative.)

JDaremo Fireheart likes this.