[Challenge] HV Fortress tank

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by The Tactician[ Λ ], Mar 2, 2018.

1. The Tactician[ Λ ]

The Tactician[ Λ ] Rear Admiral

ok going to give 1 more go at this challenge thread idea;

The challenge is to make a size class 5 or higher mega tank that can 1v1 a Xeno Fortress or/and Drone base!

RULES
    1. must be a HV
    2. must be size class 5 or higher
    3. must be able to go more then 10km/s and turn good enough
    4. vital systems (i.e. cockpit, fuel, RCS) must be protected and withstand a Xeno Fortress or/and Drone base
    5. must use all weapons but only default number for servers
    6. must show screens of your project and the result of how damaged you where after killing all drones and guns
    7. must test against the Xeno drone base and any Xeno fortress
    winner will be community vote

winner will win a pick between 4 steam keys

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

If i had oceans of time ...
    Jenniphur's tank challenge is still running, isn't this a bit soon ?
    No promisses, i'll see what i can do.
    Still playing another game and another i bought the other day hasn't bin touched yet.

The Tactician[ Λ ] likes this.
  3. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

that would have been a good complement to Jennys challenge, to really TEST these vehicles onto the TANK requirement there... ;-)
    Now, when you would think these tanks which got submitted so far are already big (and only class 3 max), you know, you need way bigger then that for class 5.
    but I'll question, for what do you need such big things? More Armor?
    (not that my question matter, it's your challenge, so your rules, please don't get me wrong)
    but WAR-Monger can elimiate any POI - IF the Turret AI is working which is the real problem here.
    (Turret AI Problems: 1) target things BELOW surface OUT of Line-of-Sight and 2) Reload Bug which also hinders shooting)

4. The Tactician[ Λ ]

the idea is having a armored up tank and test it, you only fail if it gets threw your armor and kills a vital system, the point of this challenge is to test a large slow ass tank(if you can buff up the speed and turning you win in my book) and survive 2 of the hardest POIs, ZeroG challenge is just to build a tank, mine is you have to build the tank, and then test it, then show screens on how damage it is after you killed all drones and guns, then there is a community vote on the winner for a steam key of a game i got, i have no due date because of ZeroGs challenge too

5. The Tactician[ Λ ]

OP updated

6. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

you should specify the exact Drone base (there are a few out there, some easy, some a bit harder...)
    even better: best would be to provide a save game (or scenario) where both buildings are spawned and active

(otherwise every potential submitter would have to make an own scenario himself - I would not count on creativ game, then spawning P1 in, then activating AI... it's not the same as the real survival game...)

;-)

7. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

I'll join here after I finished my 'EGS Sephrajin VCA' (project name, only applied if/when i'm satisfied with the result).

Dont know about you guys, but I cant build on multiple construction yards... :(
    Too much in my mind (details, all those details) for that one build i'm working on.

8. The Tactician[ Λ ]

edited OP

no worries there is no due date, just waiting for top 5 contestants to show there work then aftermath of testing then ill start the poll

9. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

I need to adjust the 1 POI i have in my custom scenario (mainly loot wise, its too much).
    However, since the initial suggestion was not of me, my i be so bold and suggest my 'Vertigo Cluster' scenario?

The high gravitiy would make sure that all the tank are 100% maneuverable on ALL vanilla planets under ALL circumstances, at ALL times!
    If you guys like the idea, I 'might be able' (increased priority, as to me its a looooong term project) to add a XenoBase on such a planet, so we'd have the combat AND usablilty (maneuver) tested and verified.
    Also, the screenshots (of a scenario, rather than default game) would proof if the people are on the proper planet/scenario.

Just another bold thought of mine, you guys need a day to build a tank, unless you'd want to build it during fire rain :p
    So, i'd have time until sunday to apply this idea.

10. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

good idea, but you don't need to stress, if I got the Tactican right.
    I won't participate again (too big thing and yep) but want to test my tank against it ;-)

nevertheless, as there are two big bugs still in game, at least one we could remove for this test:
    if we have a scenario, we could make customized P1 and Drone Base variants WITHOUT inner sentries/turrets, that way only LOS und this nasty RELOADING bug are still to combat...

11. The Tactician[ Λ ]

first line i cant read lol, but if your saying Talldor is still buggy it can just be akuas drone base, if thats what you mean?

12. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

Made 3 tanks ever so far in this game and never even used it (or got around using it)
    I wasn't aware this bug was a thing. Guess it's going to be a long wait till 8.0 and hopefully those bugs getting iron'd out. :(
    Reported an other one a while ago (HV driller with gatlings doesn't show ore nodes) and didn't here any respons.

13. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

Tallador?
    This is the planet you want the challenge to take part? (that is that P1 and that Drone Base?)
    You should mention this in your OP then ;-)
    And don't forget to specify the SEED where both spawn correct ;-)

But no, these Bugs I'm talking are Turret AI related.

1) Turrets will attack anything in shortest distance if its above or below ground, if it has LoS (line of sight) or not doesn't matter.
    That means your turrets will trying to kill a Sentry 10 blocks below ground behind 3 layers of combat steel AND NOT this other Turret that is shooting you.
    Even worse as the targeting mechanism won't switch to a new target very fast - you need to move a long way to make this happen!

2) Reloading Bug. This one is REALLY BAD. I am not sure when it does occure, but on nearly every POI attack with my WAR-Monger I always got this after some time. One Turret needs to reload, then ALL OTHER INCLUDING your main guns will reload too, but even that, on all the other turrets this will NOT BE SAVED, that is after two or three rounds fired the next RELOADING CYCLE will begin, again stopping ALL of your weapons to fire. As far as I know/have heard only a reloading of the save can fix that - until the next time this Bug finds you...

This being said, I've already conquered multiple POIs after each other with my war tank, and only this nasty bug could hinder me to move on with the POI slaughtering...
    but when it occurs you can already stop.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  14. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

again my friend, which one? there are FOUR possible ones!!!

check the yaml for Akua, you will find a group name for the drone base, now hit F2 the blueprint library, you will find multiple drone bases with this group name ;-)

Best is, providing a scenario OR at least a fixed Seed number and Starting planet (f.e. Tallador if you want) then anyone will have the same bases to test against.

15. The Tactician[ Λ ]

oh whoops dident know that was a thing, 1sec

i ment this done base idk what its called not on my pc
    [​IMG]

16. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

sadly this bug does exist a long while now.
    and yes, I'm not a hover lover too; but on the Farmland server where I played long time now, ore deposits are not existing anymore of course, so any ore is coming only as meteroites.
    and what do you think where do these meteroites falling down mostly? Yes, Murphys Law. The Bermuda Triangles. Exactly INBETWEEN three military POIs in weapon range from ALL three together!! ALWAYS!

This way the WAR-Monger with 6 Laser-Drills and a Multi-Turret was made. No POI shall hinder me to get that tasty Zarcosium meteroite!!!

(I only build to battle problems I encounter. That is I need better POIs (seeker missiles in 8.x!!!) to get convinced that I need a better / bigger tank than I do have now ;-)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Bigfeet likes this.
  17. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

That's the Xenu Drone Base.

18. Macbrea

Macbrea Commander

So, are we allowed to also make the tank subterranean in approach of this Drone base or are we supposed to approach if from a surface assault?

19. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

o_O ?

that's indeed a complete different thing, a submarine tank, which tunnels through to the POI via laser drills then shoot the core without needing to take damage

vs.

an above ground armoured battle tank, who needs armor and agility/speed to battle the POI turrets.

Sure both ways are possible?

20. The Tactician[ Λ ]

ok ya fair enough