Fixed Complex shaped symmetrical Cargo systems doesn't load evenly [6096]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Dramegno, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Dramegno

Dramegno Commander

Mode: Survival
    Mode: SinglePlayer (presumed all)

SEED-ID:Not Seed Specific since it is a vehicle problem.

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: NO
    Reproducibility: 98% (takes a lot of work to get a valid shape that is complex and works, but what works can and has changed after an update)
    Severity: Major but can be considered an edge case

Type: Cargo extensions

Summary: Complex shaped symmetrical Cargo systems doesn't load evenly

Description: Complex shaped cargo systems has the chance to throw the center of mass formula off kilter and have it shift the center of mass off of the center line of the cargo system. Another way to put it is that the center of mass formula gets confused when someone tries to use cargo extensions in place of basic building blocks like steel or wood. Also this happens regardless of the type of container controller used.

Steps to Reproduce: build an hv/sv with using as few standard building blocks as possible and still have the vessel look finished. Load it up with weight and volume on. Enable the show center of mass view in the n debug menu and see that it is off the line of symmetry.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:
    Here is a zip file containing three similar but different complex cargo systems that has this issue. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wqHaEQAvw6RKZ1AGn-THhENM-2jfJCg_

2. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Thanks for the blueprints there is 1 known issue for this previously that this could be apart of I'll check & get back to you.
    Have you found this to be new for A10.5 experimental or already in A10.4 B2554 on the public branch ?

3. Dramegno

Dramegno Commander

I haven't tried in A10.4 but I noticed it about a week ago (build 2633) and after a few hours of tweaking I had a shape that worked (FBS-MG) but I noticed today that it no longer works. I will go back down to A10.4 and see if the problem is still there. I will update you when I have done that.

[EDIT] I just tried the FBS-MG blueprint in A10.4 and saw the same issue. Before testing said blueprint I spawned it into creative and saved a copy, which in turn removed the red coloring in the blueprint name.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  4. Dramegno

Dramegno Commander

[update] After tweaking one of my blueprints that I linked earlier, I found a configuration that doesn't confuse the formula/algorithm. The only difference is that I replaced one carbon block on each side and in the words of Todd Howard "It just works. . ."
    In the Pictures and blueprint below I left the new extension blocks unpainted to highlight their location.
    Location of new extension block port side ToyBox-190904-1019_2019-09-17_20-40-03.png
    Same but on the Starboard Side ToyBox-190904-1019_2019-09-17_20-40-08.png
    Link to fixed blueprint https://drive.google.com/open?id=15sI4aMPKlm7qNFNa-xZD93qhPuvj0PVk

5. Atom

Atom Lieutenant

V: A10.6.0 2689
    Mode: Survival.
    Mode: Singleplayer.
    SERVER NAME: no.
    SEED-ID: global seed 342699, playfield seed 622214.
    If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: Yes (only modify config for solar panels count).
    Reproducibility: Yes.
    Severity: Medium.

Summary: center of mass weird with container extension

So i try to build a basic hauler, but i ran into something a bit annoying with container extension and center of mass. As i suppose, now the items are beeing splitted between the container controller and the container extensions, which is fine, but the split is not even, i mean i run into a situation like this:

NewGame-191101-0728_2019-11-01_17-31-19.png NewGame-191101-0728_2019-11-01_17-31-24.png NewGame-191101-0728_2019-11-01_17-31-39.png

So basically i would have understood that the center of mass goes back within the blue axis, but not really the right on the red axis, the volume is not supposed to be fair between the extensions ? so the mass is actually not going into one specific container for heaviest item ? Otherwise the only idea i could have to carry heavy stuff will be to create a container controller with a tower of extension, which limit a lot the designs.

6. Atom

Atom Lieutenant

Removing the more far away container extensions produced something more expected:
    NewGame-191101-0728_2019-11-01_17-55-24.png

7. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Fixed in A12.
    No ETA for the exact date of A12 release to EXP as of posting this.

Germanicus likes this.