Config.ecf

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amberyl, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Everything whats in there needs to stay

You should not remove any block from there

2. Preston

Preston Commander

That means beneath the second file I have to note down every single change in a third file to keep the overview of the changes.
    And I have to check every single line noted in the third file at every update?
    Interesting step backwards after implementing the config.ecf mechanics.

Alhira_K likes this.
  3. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Yes, You have to update them on a GameUpdate

4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'm still putting in my personal thought that config.ecf should be fixed and usable. It's a huge quality of life feature for server owners, single players, and anyone looking to make small changes to tweak game play without having to maintain an entire set of configuration files.

Like has been mentioned it does still work for most things, and you can even add your own custom blocks (and I assume templates, etc) to it as well, so the file can have a lot of use.

But they seem pretty set on retiring the file which is sad but I can understand it's a lot of work to maintain it.

5. Preston

Preston Commander

I'm not explicitly talking about bringing back the config.ecf file itself.
    It sounds logical to me to split the different configuration in theme grouped files.

But the mechanic of the possibility to add a custom file for each group/basefile witch only holds the changes to a item/block/class/whatever is
    worth mentioning powerful. It is easily maintainable and it has a much higher legacy usage change then just messing around with a overloaded file-copy.

Inappropriate and ravien_ff like this.
  6. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

Keeping the config_example file at least all the comments about modding should be taken out if it doesn't work anymore; and be put in the other moddable ecf files so the player at least has a good guideline. Threads in Steam are a lot now because players don't realize the config.ecf file will hang their game on loading. That could be avoided by inserting a comment like 'don't change this file' in the config_example.

drog007 likes this.