Container Controller - No weight

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Hawkie, Jul 6, 2021.

?

Do you like this idea?

1. Yes

42.9%
  2. No

57.1%
  1. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

As i see it the container controller should have its usability increased. My suggestion is that it is redefined as a "Dematerialized storage unit" and that objects stored within it has just 1/100 of their weight and volume. Justifictation would be from the fact we can use wireless to transfer which in turn means you can dematerialize the objects and make them a datastream. So why not store them in a dematerialized state? This would add to the usability of the storage controllers as well as the extenders a lot.

Don't Panic likes this.
  2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Those who don't like to use M/V can simply switch it OFF.
    All others live and build with the given devices.
    I stick with M/V and CPU switched ON.

Ivel likes this.
  3. Don't Panic

Don't Panic Commander

Hi, a good approach but I would prefer game/server settings that run via a multiplier. So you could influence the factors CPU and mass/volume, food consumption, damage etc in groups instead of editing each item individually. Conan Exiles is a good example where you can e.g. increase or decrease the damage of NPC or food consumption for the player as well as the durability of items. You can set whether more food is consumed during activity and less during inactivity, etc. Everything is done via multipliers. Currently it is a nightmare to rebalance a Empyrion server, it costs too much work.

4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

A "datastream" is still material, and actually adds mass to any data, strictly speaking, because of hardware required to transport/ convert/ store data "bits". Actual systems add lots of mass to data, on an atomic ratio data/ representation. Just a simple object (eg. 1 gram of iron) would require an insane amount of memory (plus supporting hardware) to keep track of each atom, their positions and states, etc. The discrepancy between the different technological advancement levels between various devices in the game is problematic : very primitive weapons systems and propulsion, yet teleporter and multitool magic.

This is due to feed constant arguing back and forth on what could be realistic and not in this game, because somewhere in time the human scientists were too lazy to apply the teleporter science to all other devices. What does CPU even do in such a highly sophisticated context ?

I would be more inclined to imagin some way to alter gravity (mass) and/ or volume in game rather than this Star Trecky teleporter "dematerialization" gimmick which defies imagination regarding technical abilities.

Germanicus likes this.