Creative Mode - Quality of Life requests

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ArcticPrism, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

I assume it's a mis-spelling since you agree with me, or my english skills (undertanding) droped.
    But I do want to keep GM mode in creative!

Kassonnade likes this.
  2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I ask him (not you) why he absolutely wants to use god mode in creative if he prefers using the jetpack.

Apart from being able to go noclip through geometry, of course...

3. Bansheedragon

Bansheedragon Commander

I do use the jetpack, but it's not always enough and not it's not like saying "Remove the player char I just want to build with the drone".
    This is the kind of comment I have come to expect from people who are resistant to change or have not understood the situation, so let me explain it.

Sometimes I need to get to the interior of the ship, especially with SV's and do some modifications and more often than not I cant do that without dissembling half the ship.
    With god mode you also have no clip which allows me to do these modifications without needing to disassemble a ship first, this is especially useful with older BP's from before the CPU system was implemented.

So I don't need to completely dissemble a ship to get to the interior.

Alternately they could add a simple no clip mode or allow the use of the jetpack with godemode the way you can without.

Kassonnade likes this.
  4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Yes, I guessed it, just a bit slow with only 12 coffees this morning...

But working with the jetpack, for me and surely others, is like working with the drunk drone. At least god mode keeps us straight.

But yes, a "noclip" command could do.

5. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ Captain

well i usedgodmode in creative orbit exessivly tomodify ships and bases. The going through blocks is important for modifying. Otherwise i would not just need to move long ways around parts of my structure but also wouldneed to remove some blocks to even reach those blocks iwant to modify.
    What i miss in godmode is the ability to alternate orientation and that the accelaration that we have with 'shift' and 'ctrl' isnot working for up- and downward moving.

6. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

You're right, I didnt understand you. But that doesnt mean I'm resistent to change - as such, but I still may dislike the suggested change - based on how I understood you.

Now I got you, I guess...
    You are refering to what 'we' consider a bug, allthough it is a feature that was recently introduced.
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/...-with-playfield-on-creative-orbit-7439.94497/

Have a nice weekend! :)

7. Bansheedragon

Bansheedragon Commander

I did say it could be either one or the other, not necessarily both ;).
    I apologise if I came across as a bit harsh, I just had some bad experiences with people on forums and have become rather defensive as a result.

The issue you are referring to I didn't know about.
    My issue is that I cannot reorient myself when in god mode, I don't see why it would be an issue to be able to do so as it would make modifying the interior of a ship much easier.

Alternately as I said they could add a noclip mode that allows for the use of the jetpack.

8. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

At least if 'gm' is enabled AND the jetpack as well, like it would only enable us to turn. and not FIX our camera - that is sooo.... annoying...
    Yeah, this Idea I like! :p

Well, there is always that thing of:
    * Go further away of the planet (the ships orient themself only within a range of 3.3 km, allthough they claim it would be 6.25km.
    * Orient the ship manualy to 'match' the GM-plane if closer than 3.3km.

And I think it'll 'end up' like this, rather than beeing fixed.

9. Bansheedragon

Bansheedragon Commander

I just spent a few hours upgrading and refitting an old ship from about 4 years ago.
    Not used it in a long time so was extensive work required to get it up to current standards.

Normally I would use "W" and "S" to move forward and backward with "SPACE" and "C" for up and down.
    But with gm on the directions got completely messed up with "C" being forward and "W" being down, because I had to turn the camera around to work, but my actual position was locked to a specific angle.
    This resulted in a rather confusing and frustrating work method making things take longer than they needed to as a result and I could probably have done it in half the time had it not been for that.

In short something needs to be done, it could be letting us use the jetpack with gm to move around properly or add a noclip mode that can be used with the jetpack so that controls at least make sense.

zaphodikus likes this.
  10. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Why not simply re-spawn the ship with proper alignment to be at least able to use godmode on a normal axis ?

Ravis likes this.
  11. Bansheedragon

Bansheedragon Commander

That would only work if you work on the same angle all the time, otherwise I would need to BP the ship and respawn it every time i need to change angle and direction and I would need to spawn it relative to the angle and direction I need to work in.

When I'm working on something I only use GM for as long as I need to work inside the structure the rest of the time I use the jetpack as it allows me to turn and orient myself relative to the work I need to do.

12. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Or align it maunaly to the GM plane...
    As i stated in that other thread... 'O'rientation became useless when used too close too a planet...

Kassonnade likes this.
  13. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Anyone who has built is familiar with the camera movement. In either case, godmode or jetpacking, players have to move the camera sideways and up and down. I second what @Sephrajin proposed if you want to continue working on your stuff in the present state of things, but you can wait to see if what you ask for will become a thing some day.

If working on an usual "aligned with horizon and godmode axis" was such a hassle as you describe, there would not be many people using it. As I wrote earlier, the camera movement when jetpacking is very similar to the drone's cam movement, having this weird inertia, so I hardly see how you can describe godmode's cam movement as more trouble than the jetpack's drunken motion. If it's going up and down that gives you problem, how do you go up and down when fighting in a ship ?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    zaphodikus likes this.
  14. Lord Ganjanoof

Lord Ganjanoof Commander

Give the information of the block shape (eg Corner C) when pointing to it, please please please.
    Allow movement while 'N' build menu is on.
    Godmode allows to travel faster but not to move very slowly. When trying to catch a block face behind another object to paint/texture it, especially on small blocks (SV/HV), the player's speed is excessive. I would like to be able to reduce it (shift is +, ctrl is ++, find something that would be -).

Cheers !

15. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Don't hold shift or control. You'll move normal walking speed

16. Lord Ganjanoof

Lord Ganjanoof Commander

Thanks, I noticed there is a normal walking speed ;)
    What I would like is to add a slow-motion speed. To be precise while spooking through small blocks.

Pear78 and nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ like this.
  17. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ Captain

Actually the idea is not that bad. :cool:

18. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

You can also do this with the Copy to List function, kind of. It's weird, in that it marks an area with the label you give it, but you can use this to enable the Selection for that marked area, then copy and paste it normally. For example, if you build a nice landing pad, Copy to List, call it "Landing Pad", when you select that from the list it will select that "Landing Pad" area automatically, which you can then Copy to Selection, then Paste. I make use of this regularly when building, especially ships, to create hallway segments that I can then Copy and Paste.

There's a really good video about this out there - I know I shared it in another thread. If I have a chance, I'll repost it here as well.

ravien_ff likes this.
  19. Pear78

Pear78 Captain

yes! specially while not all the hitboxes are on par yet.. ghosting through a thin deco roster to paint the block behind it.. very hard to get in a right spot

20. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Just one request right now (as nothing else in this thread seems likely to make it in) - Fix the null reference exceptions when you use the destroy command. Really annoying.