Creative Mode - Quality of Life requests

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ArcticPrism, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Deadalready

Deadalready Lieutenant

1: Infinite Blocks/Items: blocks/items not running out when in the toolbar, resources are already infinite in creative, so having them run out while building is annoying and disruptive, because we need to search for the block, find the right shape again, put it into our hotbar, choose the correct shape and rotate them all again before we can continue building. It just SHOULDN'T be a thing!
    1b: Remembering the orientation and shape selected of the original stack when you've added more blocks to the pile.

2: Being able to add/remove blocks when the shields are on: look it's just annoying, I don't want to keep turning on/off shields to fix my builds when in creative mode. It adds a few seconds and way more steps to something that really should be instant

3: A proper mirror mode: I've already built half of a ship/base and I'd just like to click 1 button and for the game to just recreate it on the opposite side. Essentially a 1 button press for the game to "paste" in a mirrored portion of my build

4: Saving Load Outs: I'd like to be able to save my "SV building" load out so it has my toolbar full of blocks/thrusters/generators, pentax, fusion cells, 02 in my backpack. Then being able to instantly switch to my "Base Building Loadout" or more within only a few clicks.
    4b: 1 click clear inventory and/or toolbar

5: For the love of god, unify the conventions for ammo! Right now they are all different colours, only marginally distinguished visually and named under different naming conventions. Calling it a 130 msl isn't helpful when there's like 5 other msl and the only difference is a slight band of colour a few pixels across. Let me type in "HV" and all the HV ammo types pop up - HV Rocket, HV Artillery, HV Homing Rocket, HV Plasma, I shouldn't need to type in 3 or more different strings to collect all the ammo I need.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  2. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

1. Add simple cursor key support to the block selector screen. Do not make me click on the left-right arrows in the block menus. Same goes for the paint tool with it's multiple pages, this is do-able, and low impact coding.
    2. For things like the tooltips on the creative build dialog to be written from perspective of someone new to the game. For example the replace/remove/delete/clear buttons are "copy-pasta language", and slow me down a lot.
    3. Block names to be less arbitrary, or at least have some kind of description as to how the suffixes ABCDEFGHIJ came about so we can work more systematically and not need to memorise so many.

3. Pembroke

Pembroke Commander

1. Add a "trash all" button for easy clearing of your inventory.

2. Add a "recalculate structural integrity" button to the "N" menu. (Yes, it getting messed up by doing lots of terrain modification and back-and-forth block replacing, is probably a bug but if that bug is hard to find or fix then why not add a "recalc" button? Would work well enough for Creative design purposes.)

3. Add a description field to blueprints. I'd like to be able to add some info that's associated with that blueprint. Show the description text on the factory page when the player selects a blueprint.

4. Add a new block filter to the "H" page: "block must have unlock level X or lower"

5. Add a new block filter to the "H" page: "block can only require the following ores to be built: <selection list or checkboxes>"

6. Add "fill-inventory-quickly" templates. By this I mean that I could, for example, put blocks into my toolbar and into my inventory that I usually need when I want to build a HV, and then click "save as inventory template" and give the template the name "Hover Vessel Blocks". After that, whenever I wanted to build an HV, I could simply choose this from my available inventory templates and it would fill my toolbar and inventory with those blocks so I wouldn't have to do it manually one-by-one.

zaphodikus likes this.
  4. Pembroke

Pembroke Commander

How could I have forgotten this?? The *one* thing that comes up *every* time I'm building something:

7. When I point the multitool at an existing block, in addition to telling me what type the block is, it should also tell me what *shape* it is.

"Uhm... now, *which* ramp connector did I use?". Yeah... :(

5. Arthmoor

Arthmoor Commander

Not sure if anyone else has suggested it, but a good feature for creation mode debug (or survival building for that matter) would be to add a "Show Gravity" option on the menu to go with airtight and oxygen display so that we can have a nice at a glance look at how far our gravity generators extend and thus be able to plan their placement better.

6. Pembroke

Pembroke Commander

Could you add an info button or other similar function on the blueprint list page that would show basic information about the base or vessel? Simply show at least:
    - Version of the game at the time the blueprint was created
    - List of devices and their number the base/vessel contains
    Can, of course, show more stuff than that but at least these and it would be of big help.

Not sure if this is possible but if it was then also: When you click "publish" put the above info automatically to the Workshop item's description field. That would be an even bigger help. The blueprint author can then edit it, or even remove it, if he so wishes but at least you'd get a "default description" for workshop blueprints that showed actually useful info for those pondering which blueprint to try.

7. JupiterVessel Corp

JupiterVessel Corp Commander

Making stacks of blocks 10000 instead of a 1000

8. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

I would like a "block finder"...i.e. you aim at a block and it tells you which one it is. A few times I have been building and forget which block/block shape I used and would have loved to have just been able to point at one I already put down and see what it is.

Also, a "clear all from Inventory" button. Its an extremely minor thing, but when going from building one type of vessel to the other I have to manually dump everything out of my toolbar/inventory to start putting the appropriate blocks in.

stanley bourdon likes this.