Current Device Limits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robot Shark, Jan 16, 2019.

1. NimrodX

NimrodX Commander

Having two cockpits is worthwhile if for no other reason than redundancy if one gets destroyed.

If one cockpit gets blown up then the ship is stuck in one place until you come back with another cockpit. With two cockpits you can save the ship by jumping in the other cockpit.

geostar1024 likes this.
  2. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

On the subject of device limits... can we get the device limit for solar panels bumped up just 1?

16 would make so much more sense than 15.

zztong, Sephrajin and ravien_ff like this.
  3. Softwalker001

Softwalker001 Commander

15 Pannels =15x15 Square if laid in a 3xlong by 5xshort aray.

4. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

We picked 15 due to performance reasons.

Keep in mind some limits are hardcoded and cant be changed even if u change it in the config.
    Like the RepairBay, Core

Robot Shark likes this.
  5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I wish we could place more than 1 core on POIs though. Would make for some interesting designs. :D

6. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

However, copy and paste (as well as placement using a symmetry plane) currently will let you place extra copies of any device even if nominally it's limited to one per ship. This includes warp drives and cores (last I checked, though, doing this tends to color the blueprint orange in the blueprint list, but I don't believe that stops you from spawning it in survival so long as block count limits are disabled).

7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Copy and paste can do all kinds of cool things. :D

Sadly, multiple cores on POIs don't function as expected. Once the player destroys the first core, the POI turns into public faction, turrets and non-static spawners shut off, and the player can then access the control panel and switch the POI to private faction.

8. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

That has been reported and fixed like 100 times :D seems it keeps comeing back

9. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Looks like this happens for normal player-spawned structures too. However, the structure itself keeps on functioning just fine until the last core is removed.

I've never seen any evidence of it ever even remotely being fixed, though. Copy-paste has always ignored any and all block limits, and still allows CV/BA blocks to be placed onto SV/HV (and vice versa), and HV turrets/drills/hover engines to be placed onto SVs.

10. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

It's has been a long time issue.

If u know first hand exactly what devices have issues send me a PM. I dont use those tools to build so i really dont know what does and what doesn't work.

But then I make a new ticked to get it fixed for A10

11. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

It's literally every single block and device. Doesn't matter what it is, you can copy it from any structure to any structure right now.

12. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Oke ill make a new note about it to get the attention for it :)

13. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Yep, the math here is solid.

And 15 <> 16

14. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Is there that much of a performance hit at 16?

Can this be optimized to reduce the hit?

Spent the last few nights building a lovely space station, only to wind up 1 solar panel short, due to the limit being an odd number, and without 45 degree rotation, lacking symmetry.

Of course, a rotor block could also solve this conundrum.... ;-)

Sephrajin and zztong like this.
  15. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I really hope we don't lose the functionality of copying blocks from one structure type to another. It has multiple applications for custom POIs.

16. Ravis

Ravis Captain

I believe it's supposed to remove any device that already exists when you paste, at least it has in the past. If that's not happening then it's probably the bug that's being referred to, just guessing though.

17. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

That I could see getting fixed.
    I have some custom POIs that for example have CV parts on a floating base for thrusters or boarding ramps. Or SV fixed weapons on a weapons depot base. Also all that wonderful deco that can't be added to bases yet.

I also have derelict mining SVs that have HV drills and ore controllers on them as a rare find.

Random stuff like that creates a more unique experience and I hope we retain the ability in creative mode.

18. pachangas

pachangas Lieutenant

I can understand why with that, but it's a bit annoying. It would be much nicer if it was one active repair bay. That way you could switch between repairing an HV and an SV in different bays.

19. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

With A10 and CPU many maxblockcount devices will be rebalanced

20. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Personally Ive edit the config to have 30 solar. Alone this wouldnt matter if 100 people do it in MP on a planet then yes i can see a crash comeing