Did NMS just copy Empyrion?

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by burnout1620, Nov 30, 2016.

1. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

IT would not surprise me if NMS copied Empyrion or Space Engineers or even minecraft. NMS better do something because they have a lot of unhappy customers. lol But the devs from Space Engineers added a farming feature to their other survival game called medieval engineers that looks at exactly like Empyrion plant grow plot . It's really no difference. I was kind of surprised by that one. Some of these games use the "alpha" status to copy other games ideas in my opinion. After Dual Universe talked about it's 1000 players server, Space Engineers jumped on fixing multiplayer and even has one group that is working on a type of multiplayer system that sounds like a smaller version of what DU is doing with putting a 1000 people on one system. So this happens a lot but I think it's great for gamers but games like NMS are annoying to me. They use gimmicks to sell their game and then when players realize the game isn't what they were told it was suppose to be then the devs claim it's the players that misunderstood the "concept" of the game. lol

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

It's the kinda thing that's why Competition can be good & Monopoly can be bad... Competitors can take turns kicking each other in the ass & prevent Game Development Lethargy. :p

banksman45 likes this.
  3. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

True. I love competition as long as each dev team is trying to take one feature and do it better instead of 100% copying the other game and pretending its something new. I happen to take a look at Planet Nomad and in my opinion it's pretty much Empyrion without NPCs. They changed minor parts like they have wheel vehicles but that is about it.

4. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    /moved to off topic area as this is a topic related to, but not a "general discussion" about Empyrion

5. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Led Zeppelin was nuthin' but a "rip off" of Muddy Waters . . .

Led Zeppelin "Plagiarism" List

I put plagiarism in quotes, because I don't think this is an example of it. Plagiarism is not "doing something similar and obviously influenced by something else." It is: "using someone else's work verbatim but passing it off as your own, i.e., not quoting it."

Sampling is in a grey area, but that only occurs in music not in gaming so that is not what we are talking about.

6. DS_Marine

DS_Marine Commander

Well, the idea of the post was to say that after all this time is very hard to do something that can't be related to other product released in present time or in the past (same for Hollywood movies). I think we won't ever know if they did it based on empyrion or another of the zillion games out there.

7. dichebach

dichebach Captain

After at least 50,000 years of human creativity (probably quite a lot longer than that even), there literally is NOTHING new under the sun. It is IMPOSSIBLE to be completely, fully, purely original. Every creation is influenced to some degree by some other and this degree ranges from "quite low" to "very high" and then there is the threshold where one crosses over into "plagiarism," i.e., using the work of others and passing it off as one's own, and or profiting from it without paying royalties (for those IPs or products where such would justly be due).

I doubt seriously that anything NMS does at this point could count as being 'across' that threshold, and it should come as a complement to everyone involved with EGS that NMS might "copy" elements of their game. Beyond that, let the lawyers sort it out.

8. Tyrax Lightning

& if anyone ever did come up with anything purely new people would freak out because they could not wrap their heads around it because there'd be no 'common ground' with something existing to help them comprehend with. :/

Look at how many people can't stand the thought of us possibly not being alone in the Universe... a Universe we have seen less then ONE PERCENT of... *Facepalm*

DS_Marine and dichebach like this.
  9. dichebach

dichebach Captain

I can totally "stand the thought" of extra-terrestrial life. But that doesn't mean I think it is likely.

I know a lot about evolution and cosmology and I'd say it is at least as unlikely as it is likely. In fact, it is probably more unlikely than likely, otherwise the Fermi Paradox is no paradox at all . . .

10. Tyrax Lightning

I'm talking about the peeps who say it's completely impossible because they can't stand the thought of even trying to think about it at all.

With that said, I didn't mean to get Off-Topic so...

For the Topic: If NMS is sticking stuff into its game that looks like it came from Empyrion, it just simply means it's scared to bits of Empyrion's awesomesauce... as it should be! Empyrion is Metaphorically running ahead of the Pack, turning around & running backwards faster then they can run forwards, giving them a friendly wave & a cheesy grin, then turning around & sprinting ahead & scaring the other Runners to bits to suddenly pick up their own pace lest they suddenly start looking like they run like fat kids. :p

dichebach likes this.
  11. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

I still cant get used to the feel of that game.
    It will never be an Empyrion, and I will never build a 2klm long station in NMS, but I will in Empyrion, because I can.

Also Empyrion now has a pretty good online player base, theres always a server you can jump into 24/7 and find lots of players, good luck with that in NMS.

Empyrion is a socially friendly game and so are Empyrions forums and so are its developers.

NMS is a lonely dismal existence with nasty fibbing developers and forums full of abuse because of the nasty overpricing of the game and what people see as basic theft by stealth.

The developers of that game should have just run for PM or President, they promised just as much and delivered just as little !

Anyway now Im going back to play Empyrion, 6000 hours and its still more entertaining than 10 hours of NMS.....lol.....