Fixed DLSS causes some texture to be reflective

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Ente, Dec 6, 2023.

1. Ente

Ente Commander

Build:1.10.5 4255
    Mode:creative
    Mode:singleplayer

SERVER NAME:-
    SEED-ID:-

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS:-

Reproducibility:always
    Severity:minor

Type:Graphics

Summary: DLSS causes some texture to be reflective

Description:See attached screenshots (and please ignore the resolution, don't have 2k monitor and am just messing around with the setting). Activating dlss seems to cause reflections on textures that usually aren't that reflective

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) load something in with the standard steel texture
    2)change time to morning or evening for more pronounced reflections
    3)activate/deactive dlss

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:
    without DLSS:
    [​IMG]

With DLSS (Balanced):
    [​IMG]

2. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I think "Sky Reflections" messes up with "Screen Space Reflections" specially on planets. try disabling "Sky Reflections" and the effect is gone. It is not DLSS issue. It was there long time ago. Try standing in front of the modern shower model i.e. with both above mentioned video settings to max. The reflections are there. DLSS just "emphasizes" it more on other texture surfaces too.

3. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    This report is related to DLSS it was fixed for FSR2 already we just need a little more time to get rid of it for when DLSS is enabled with the sky reflections also enabled.

What I presume you're describing with these reflections in particular (f.ex shower showing outside planet view) is afaik an engine level "issue" & I don't think it is fixable or easily fixable in our game (voxel building game). If we can ever approach it we will but we have many other topics to work on for the foreseeable future.

Ente likes this.
  4. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

How about get rid of the prefab and replace it with something else instead? New contributors' prefabs are already there, why not new modern shower? :p

5. Pantera

• Developer
    Myrmidon likes this.
  6. Ente

Ente Commander

Did you ever consider supporting raytracing? That should, in theory, be able to solve that issue. I would be really curious how that would work and look with a block building game.

7. Pantera

• Developer
    Afaik raytracing will not work with empyrion due to the render pipe line it is using not supporting it.

We already have the issue in the OP solved with FSR we now just need the dev assigned to this to be able to get to it for DLSS amongst other tasks he is working on at the moment.

8. Ente

Ente Commander

Thanks for the answer!

Also, just to sure, is it supposed to be that blurry? I lack the experience with DLSS to tell wether that is to be expected or an issue....

9. Pantera

• Developer
    What resolution are you playing at ? anything under 2k will be blurry.
    What GPU do you have ?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/nvidia-dlss-your-questions-answered/

Ente likes this.
  10. Ente

Ente Commander

I see, yeah that makes sense.
    Am only at 1920x1080 with a RTX3060. Now I am starting to wonder whether I would have more frames with dlss on a monitor that supports higher resolutions ;)

11. Pantera

• Developer
    You can experiment with dldsr or dsr in the nvidia control panel like I wrote in the patch notes:

https://empyriononline.com/threads/v1-10-5-experimental-iii.102099/

On my 3070ti I use DLSS Quality mode or balanced at 3413 x 1920 via DLDSR on a native 1440p monitor with FPS locked to 65 or 75.

If you experiment with this keep an eye on your GPU temps & only use settings you are comfortable with.

12. Ente

Ente Commander

Would love to try that, but cant get the new resolution to show up in the game. It does show all sorts of unsupported resolutions (mind native for my monitor is 1920x1080), but not the one the DSR Factor mentioned (2880x1620):

[​IMG]

Ill keep trying as I am intrigued. But at the moment a bit at a loss how to get it to run.

13. Pantera

• Developer
    Did you try setting the screen mode to "Exclusive Fullscreen" ?

14. Ente

Ente Commander

Yep thats set.

Edit: Ok there seems to be something off with the graphics card recognising my dual monitor setups. On my main monitor it for some reason adds the upscaled resolution as a much inflated res. No idea why, but clearly not an Empyrion issue. Will see whether I can fix that somehow...

Edit2: Uuugh figured it out. Ok so in case anyone is curious: I do have my main monitor connected via HDMI (don't ask). That causes the Nvidia control panel to also offer HDTV resolutions, which go up until 4k. Now DSR Factors takes that instead of the native resolution of the monitor for determining the Dynamic Super Resolution. And of course selecting that in the game does not work, not that trying to run DSR at 5760x3240 would be a good idea to start with. I didn't realise that at first, since the DSR - Factor value does not show that value, but instead the value from the second monitor which has the same native resolution, but is connected via DVI cable.
    I hate it if a piece of software thinks it is clever.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023