Do you use Custom Configs?

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jan 24, 2020.

?

Do you use the Custom Config?

1. I am already using the Reforged Galaxy config!

14.8%
  2. Yes (attach or link the config you are using)

42.0%
  3. No, i am playing with default values

35.8%
  4. There is a possibility to customized game values??

7.4%
  1. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

That would catch a subset but instrumenting telemetry in the client and server apps would catch anything they want to monitor. A CRC or hash of selected static data structures after params get loaded with a REST call of the resulting thumbprint would be deterministic at that level and could be indexed by steamid for correlation with issue reporting. Then they would know exactly what variants were running in every client over time, how machines are configured, setup settings, instrumented response times of critical code etc. Results would all be machine readable/reportable without any special effort. As a side-effect they would know exactly how many people were playing the game and could infer the impact of feature/function changes across releases. Add a key handler on ctrl-i to trigger user initiated "issue" reports that send selected playfield and client data along with a one-line input from the user and you cover most types of bug reporting.

2. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

I do not know and have not invested time to figure out how to use custom configs. I imagine this reflects the majority of players. Perhaos if custom configs were workshop enabled or very simple to create this would be valuable.

Custom configs on servers provides one of the key attractions to online multiplayer. Players (probably) are attracted to servers which have crafted a unique gameplay experience, which custom configs are part of.

zaphodikus likes this.
  3. ArcticPrism

ArcticPrism Commander

This is actually very useful information. I was not aware you could only have just what you changed in the file.

Hopefully in the future there will be updates a tool to make editing it easier. The config file right now is just a massive dump of text that has little consistency and lots of code names for things. Like the Plasma Launcher is SciFiCannon (lol).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Kronoss and Ephoie like this.
  4. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

Yup, I really enjoy being able to customize the experience for players on my server, and tailor the challenge with my scenario, as vanilla is too easy out the box, and some devices need a little balancing. I was able to make consoles, and NPC crew CPU point subtractors prior to the extenders (so they actually did stuff, rather than just deco).

Thanks @ravien_ff for that useful tidbit of info.... That'll save some headaches in future.

@ArcticPrism Get notepad++, and use the "ALT + F" find function to search through yamls to find specific items, and speed up the editing process.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Khazul and ravien_ff like this.
  5. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

That should definitely be a thing if I understood you correctly :)

I guess the CPU point of NPC were made -ve? I guess it probably need a limit on how many crew you can have, maybe by class size perhaps.

Otherwise I can just imagine that 10K crew 100 layer armored monster coming to pvp severs...

zztong and Ephoie like this.
  6. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

@Khazul You could add a limit via the config.

Khazul likes this.
  7. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Two things now permanently in my custom config:

1 - Light, medium and heavy (and epic) armor upgraded from medieval to the modern age and now act as if they provide a light power assist (mainly to reduce stamina consumption). My rationale for this is simple - out in the field, I am hardly outside my vehicle except when looting a POI, so the excessive stamina consumption (that seems about on par with a 90 yr old geezer with one foot in the grave) just doesnt bother me. However, back at base, I am continually running out of stamina just from running from side of the base to the other. Hell, even back and forth across the hangar of my CV a couple of time seems to leave you gasping. This got old quickly and seems to serve no gameplay benefit whatsoever and has just become plain irritating. At start of game - understandable, but really - this is supposed to be the future of warp drives etc and were still using medieval armor? Perhaps we should get a free horse and lance to go with them... ;)

2 - Large drills. One large drill on its own is completely impractical and beyond useless. Two of them OTOH allows for bigger and more interesting and varied miners, base tunnellers etc. They need a decent size ship to mount them effectively without looking stupid and potentially being rather unwieldy. With a small ship using a typical cockpit - it is just in the way. So, my config allows 2 of them as the limit instead. This allows some useful digging ship designs that are an actual upgrade from a little 6 drill HV and actually brings them into normal gameplay for me. Any more than two doesn't seem worthwhile due to their odd vertically offset digging setup, but now I have tried two of them, I am happy that it seems the right number.

8. Softwalker001

Softwalker001 Commander

My config contains 2 changes:

1) All items stack to 10k (this includes weap/arm/mod, I just am careful to not hang myself)
    2) HV/SV O2 is raised to 525 ( it will take 2 large or 7 small)

That's it. it contains only those lines.

Attached Files:

9. TK85

TK85 Captain

Yes.
    I make adjustments to some values of CPUs, operation of some weapons (although they are now standard), adjustments to templets and adjustments to tools.

Attached Files:

10. idx64

idx64 Lieutenant

It just seems like a childish way to get resources and improvements for free or at a lower cost. The game completely loses its grace, having infinite gold just around the base. I don't see any sense modifying the settings. And unfortunately it is what is done on most servers. That's why I prefer to play Offline and with the default settings in maximum difficulty. There you can see the errors such as: 100 damage shotgun kills a 1 shot bug. While a damage sniper rifle 220 kills 1 alien bug with 5 shots at the same distance.

11. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

I'm sorry that I somehow missed this a month ago.

What you say seems true, though I wonder if people would find it intrusive for the client to be doing all that. It might be a safe play to include an option to turn that on and consciously share it with the Devs. By comparison, I was stopping at a point where I hoped the Devs could use (hopefully) existing Steam features and only Steam-server information.

12. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

13. Liang

Liang Captain

Yes I use them and would not play the game without them. I literally customize as much as I can to remove limitations being placed on the game that are not actually game breaking.

So far the only file in the Configuration folder I have not touched for ALL my games is the TraderNPCConfig file but I have done it in the past and will once the game is released (especially if I start working on my custom scenario again). Yes, I even edit the EGroupsConfig file...as I want more actual life on planets.

I edit Playfields for every new game to make the starter world larger and give a slight increase to the amount of each ore type, even possibly the weather if I want a harsher starter planet. Solarsystemconfig, sectortypedefaults also gets edited for new games. If there was a config file for plant loot quantities I would edit it.

All of these things are important for a game like this and in fact, needs more ways for a player to be able to customize the game to their liking as so many in this genre has. Removal of being able to do this is a sure fire way to ensure the game has vastly limited replayability.

14. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

Will defo have to learn how to edit the ores amounts, in the playfield files. I always find them woefully inadequate for the prolific building works that I love to create.

Fractalite likes this.
  15. Liang

Liang Captain

I can send you a PM with how to do it.

16. silentius

silentius Ensign

Hey there,
    indeed I am using some modifications as well. The reasons are as following:
    Boosted Dolar Panels (not game breaking but enough to make sense)
    Survival and Multitool boosts because it just makes more fun.

Recently added the teleporters because the power consumption is insane and unlike other devices they don't go to power safe mode when not in use.

See my small config attached...

Maybe to mention, I am using the inheritance system which is pretty cool to be able to use :)

Attached Files:

17. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

I never did, but I will be now to buff solar and reduce teleporter power consumption

Love Is Flash likes this.
  18. MokahTGS

MokahTGS Lieutenant

We run a small private server and I'm very happy that the configs have been opened up for the community to fiddle with. Customization in a game is always a huge strength. Now that I know you can do this, I will be using it all the time for our server.

The question I have is this: Is there a guide somewhere of how to access the files for a dedicated server and what different settings do? I've read through this thread and seen some examples of changes, but would really like more information to be able to customize our server.

19. silentius

silentius Ensign

Configs are not really hidden steamapps\common\Empyrion - Dedicated Server\Content\Configuration
    You can already do alot by just creating a Config.ecf in that folder and take what you need from Config_Examples.ecf
    People here added a lot of nice configs so just download one of them, copy it into the folder and restart your server.
    Most of the stuff in the Config_Examples.ecf is self explaining as well.

20. Oddyseous

Oddyseous Ensign

Yes I use custom configs please don't take this feature away. I use it to add realism, upgrades and balance.
    Which is exactly what he's talking about....