Elite Dangerous

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by Slate, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Slate

Slate Ensign

Just curious who here plays Elite, and what you guys think of it. I have a little over 100 hours into that game, and have owned for a couple weeks..lol Great game overall, cannot wait for the big planetary exploration update.

2. AgentOrange232

AgentOrange232 Commander

Im really considering buying that game but it is $60 on steam and I'm wondering if it would be worth the money.

(P.S. I plan on using my Saitek X52, what would the gameplay be like)

3. fastwings

fastwings Ensign

dog figths can be boring and its most lonly mmo i ever so its lack content in so many ways and most time its just not fun

4. Xentor

Xentor Captain

Elite is sorry to say. A very nice looking Grindinggame.
    You do mainly nothing else than fly form A to B to C to B to A to C......
    to earn a few bucks to get to the next ship, and keep the "insureance" payed.
    sure you can go mining and fighting too, but mainly you do this money grinding.

5. fastwings

fastwings Ensign

i was one or there paided beta 50$ i pay.
    all i can say not really fun play that lack of content and what to do but like Xentor go a then b somtimes fight a.5 that u can run a way fast

6. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Rear Admiral

Elite was revolutionary in the 1980's, and serves as the template of the entire genre. However, it is just that these days: a template. I could see an Elite MMO these days, but EvE Online has that market sewn up pretty tight at this point. Not to mention Empyrion could compete in that arena if the netcode is good enough to support a large number of players per server, and we get the promised inter-server connections.

Rafe Andedare and RobDog like this.
  7. David Hollis

David Hollis Commander

I've played ED since beta and, suffice to say... grindfest aside, there is just too little content for me ATM, not to mention a lack of ships. IMHO they simply released WAY to early. Add to this that the whole 'planetary landing' was integral to Frontier and FFE and THIS time we have to pay AGAIN for the add on... overall, not impressed.

I am an AVID Elite fan with more than 20 years of playing Elite, Frontier and FFE so I know a little bit about this, trust me...

...in fact, this is why Empyrion was such a draw for me. I love Space Engineers, Mix that with FPS and Planetary landings, missions, quests and so on and...well, no contest. Pre-ordered... 3 weeks and counting he he.

RobDog likes this.
  8. Brokenshakles

Right, and with the larger star map and inter-server connections, we could have a combo Lego/Elite mini-MMO. A true successor to the ancient text-based MUDs, where players could create their own content and settings. Plus Elite.

RobDog likes this.
  9. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

I was looking at buying this game this afternoon, now Im glad I checked this forum before doing so, because it is an expensive game for an alpha, thanks guys, saved me some cash.

10. trekie4747

trekie4747 Lieutenant

Yeah Elite Dangerous is a bit over my budget

11. Brokenshakles

Empyrion will outdo Elite: Dangerous

piddlefoot, RobDog and locksmith614 like this.
  12. David Hollis

David Hollis Commander

Every game released has its appeal to different people. ED is primarily focussed on combat thus far however, I imagine in time, more elements will be introduced. For me though, it sits on my HD unplayed for the last few months and will remain so until FD add more content, missions and hopefully, player owned/built stations...

I am the creative sort and thus the ability to do just this within Empyrion is incredibly appealing [Although I've no idea if one can build a static space station].

RobDog likes this.
  13. chrisb

chrisb Lieutenant

Haven't played since release in December. I got in at premium beta stage. I had watched progress (having played the original in 84) during KS. But I wasn't sure, so left it for quite a while. When I did get it, I went through the ships and many millions of credits (beta stage) and that was it.

Its an empty game really, from 84, that should have stayed in 84 really. I hope they add things, but knowing Braben, its finished already in his eye's.
    Sad, but probably true.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone really.

RobDog likes this.
  14. locksmith614

locksmith614 Ensign

Yep, I bought Elite Dangerous, and maybe it _will_ be cool, but for now it is a bit of a "grind" and does not have the exploration feel to it, at least not at my low level(?) although that may be just because I have not found it yet. The price did not really bother me, although, had I found Empyrion first, I would have bought it first as it seems like it will have the seamless planet / space transition and crafting elements that are SO satisfying.

15. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

ED Is an amazing game if you love a Space Flight Simulator and enjoy just exploring and sitting back. Right now I feel for my personally there is just not enough. They did pretty good so I expect they will go further overtime with planets etc. When you can walk / drive on a planet to explore do more range of things like Empyrion then it might be worth for me checking back. I did order it via Kickstarter I'm a big supporter of these ideas this was way before Empyrion days.

16. chrisb

chrisb Lieutenant

No, ED is not a sim.
    If you want a space sim I would look out Rouge System. That's a space sim.. ;)

BlackStar7713 and locksmith614 like this.
  17. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

Sorry I did not mean quite like Space Sim as controls flight etc that is quite mild but has a idea of it. I meant more a sweet looking universe to explore that is supposedly ever expanding AI builds new stations etc. Never actually seen them do it yet. But yeah not the way I guess most of us would interpret space sim.

18. locksmith614

locksmith614 Ensign

To me, ED is kinda like "all the rest" - it has a fine (i'm sure) combat system, but as for the exploration element - well... not so much. at least for me. I could never get very far before some little 12 year old blew me up and I had to start over. I admit I am not much into PVP but geesh.. that kind of took the fun out of it for me. What I am looking for is something with _SOMEWHAT_ realistic space physics, but maybe not quite that much? 100s of keybinds to remember; eh, I'm to old for that. But, I don't want simple WASD arcade point n' shoot either. Empyrion, from the looks of it, seems to be right in the sweet spot of realism, and simplicity.

19. locksmith614

locksmith614 Ensign

Wow - that video on Rogue System is really good! That looks like a cool game if you're the pilot type lol.

20. chrisb

chrisb Lieutenant

I'm hoping Empyrion here will give us all the fun that SE does. The rest of these space games are o.k., but at least with this and SE, you know what your getting. 'Blocks', lovely blocks.. Can't wait for the key. ;)