Empyrion and HDR Displays

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scoob, Jan 16, 2023.

1. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Hey all,

Sort of a technical question, but thought it worth asking here...

I have an HDR, a relatively new acquisition, monitor and it's working great. Every game I play seems to show HDR as Enabled (monitor menu) when I play them. Dark areas are darker, bright areas are brighter and generally colours are MUCH nicer than my regular monitors. I've been pleased with the purchase.

I'm aware of course that some games tout "HDR Support" while others do not. Many of the games I play do not, yet the monitor still runs in HDR mode, improving the visuals accordingly. The one exception to this is Empyrion.

When I run Empyrion, it looks pretty good, darker darks, lighter lights, good colours etc. However, my monitor always shows "HDR: Emulated", unlike other games which show the selected HDR Mode (Display HDR for example).

While the game looks fine, it doesn't seem to be quite as nice as other titles - when it comes to the improvement I've been seeing after getting this monitor. Now, I don't play that many games currently - been playing X4, some Fallout 4 and a little Kenshi - but those others run "regular" HDR whereas Empyrion doesn't.

Perhaps there's a setting somewhere, or I need to tinker with the NV profile - not that I've had to with other games - but I thought it odd, so wanted to ask here. What are other's experiences with their HDR displays with Empyrion?

To be clear, I'm fine with how things are, game is perfectly playable - bar some slight additional shadowing I get where objects are in high-contrast - dark rocks, snowy background - while I'm moving quickly. I don't get this in other games running non-emulated HDR, so I wondered if there was a link.