DEV BLOG Empyrion Galactic Survival: Leaving Alpha & Early Access

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Hummel-o-War, Jul 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Normal69

Normal69 Lieutenant

Okay.
    You've asked. We'll bring the noise. :D

Bollen likes this.
  2. Normal69

Normal69 Lieutenant

By the way plants aren't growing or growing backwards.
    Happy to be of assistance, keep up the good development!

3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I don't watch videos, I play the game.

While it may be fun for players to watch videos, I don't expect the developers to put aside their work and watch a video complaining about a feature they said was "working as intended". Taelyn even gave us a way to tweak the timer, and this is the kind of information that could be pushed forward to "new players", to let them know that despites many things are unbalanced, " don't worry, it's easy to fix, and we can even fix ourselves".

That is a big selling point of Empyrion. And I can write it here, and other players don't have to waste 59 minutes of their life to learn that.

If the video wants to help someone, better aim the explanations at players and help them understand why the devs don't want useless blocks in playfields. Might as well also explain again why servers get wiped on a periodic basis, while being at it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Germanicus likes this.
  4. johnietoth1967

johnietoth1967 Commander

how can we change the timer?

5. Bollen

Bollen Captain

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm totally for self-destruct, it also makes sense and as it has been pointed out, adds variety! But:

1.- There used to be a warning "self-destruct in blah, blah". Could be a bug.
    2.- There should be something we can do about it, it shouldn't be hardcoded i.e. so first time we bring one down we learn that they self-destruct, but if we are, I don't know, able to find the "master" explosive device we should be able to disable it. Thus adding a challenge.
    3.- Once you put your own core it should be yours or alternatively don't allow the private core.

6. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

For as long as I can remember, and as was discussed in another thread, they never wanted us to get these ships from the start. "Why" is not so much the point for me : if they want things this way, make it so, but with a big explosion or proper visual reward. But here the issue seems mixed up with players not wanting it this way at all, which is different.

Bollen likes this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Captain

If the feature of despawning a POI is purely the amount of 'useless blocks' then what is the purpose of the POI, if you get nothing from it? Most will just keep away from them, therefore there is not much point in having them.
    My suggestion is to give us a timer, so that we can decide ourselves if all there 'useless blocks' affect the performance of the game.
    This performance issues of games will affect servers differently. Some personal servers will just have a few players, so less performance issues. Single players will have less performance issues. Give people the option of what is best for them. e.g. a timer that can be set by the user, in the Settings of the game. That is the logical thing to do, not just make the POI despawn as soon as you put a core in.

stanley bourdon and Kassonnade like this.
  8. Bollen

Bollen Captain

Agreed! Either a big explosion or a mechanic/strategy to prevent it, otherwise it just feels and looks like a bug. I also understand why the Devs wouldn't want us to be able to loot them at the beginning... Personally I would prefer that they just make them harder to capture in that case...

9. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

as I see it the biggest reason the issues are "mixed up" there is no clear statement of intent from Eleon.
    We do not know what the expected behavior is so we have no way of telling if things are working as intended.
    If we read between the lines and assume some ships are to despawn and some are not we are still left with no clear way to identify which is which in-game. When a ship despawns that you had no expectation that would (nothing about it said it was different) and the next POI that you take over does the same thing how many people will assume that that is the mechanic in space and just give up on space? This is just a recipe for frustration and giving up on the game.

10. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Captain

Station Defense Ships (SDS) are not meant for looting, so will explode immediately. Will not change. (Personally, I'd preffer a bigger boom here). Fine.

Orbital Patrol Vessels (OPV) are meant to be looted but are despawning as per SDSs. Bug, and not acceptable.

From Taelyn in another thread.

I'm still waiting for an explanation about why the coreless base went boom.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  11. johnietoth1967

johnietoth1967 Commander

how about the make the damn waypoints for used up resources and destroyed POI's despawn? That would be something we need.

Bollen and stanley bourdon like this.
  12. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

While I was reading other posts appeared, so here is my very personal view on this subject.

I think dismantling a POI, for me, is even more boring than mining. Those are the 2 things that I just can't stand : watching a tiny % of the game universe listening to the "tok-tok-tok-plop" of the multitool while looking at a bland texture.

Mining has changed many times, but it still remains boring to me. That's not what I like Empyrion for, not at all. I get that some players enjoy these things, but not me. Now if the game is trying to save RAM or to railroad players by some kind of "scarcity" of materials to keep them on the move, POIs and big ships are a problem, since they provide lots of materials, but for me - and I originally was hardly against this - making materials scarce was just a lazy way to achieve "keep players moving and exploring".

And to make things worse, I know like everyone that we can only have limited content in each playfield because of these voxel lumps of data requiring maintenance, and so the whole landscape feels empty, we have grid limits, and not much "procedural content" to populate the whole galaxy.

In the past, there was a suggestion to merge blocks to some extent, and I thought it was a brilliant idea. Unfortunately, many players disagreed and did not see the wider scope of the problem that would arise at some point : low performance, and no possibility to have cities and moderately large space stations. But hey, we can salvage blocks on this 40 x 40 squarish building for 45 minutes...

Well that's just too bad. They could have made structures and ships "unsalvageable" for some parts, and not be forced to resort to lame mechanics to avoid eating RAM like popcorn with 2 buildings and 1 small ship.

Sofianinho, Germanicus and Bollen like this.
  13. Bollen

Bollen Captain

I stopped following that conversation a while ago, I hadn't realised that was the outcome... What a shame, I always hoped it would get implemented! :(

Kassonnade likes this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Captain

15. Normal69

Normal69 Lieutenant

We have a bunch of options what POIs to autoclean (at least in Emp Admin Helper).

As we will get an 1.0 it isn't seem to be such a big work to give some more evaluation settings to that routine: BAM! all the "shot down husks" will despawn.
    Like depowered+untouched for X time or untouched+not base+unmoved for Z time.

You Kassonade may play this building/scrapping/mining game as a space fighter experience like Elite and such.
    But don't argue why the main concept and style of the game is boring for you, and shouldn't be played like a building/scrapping/mining game usually goes, because we, others enjoy it that way.

I see that it's your opinion and feeling, but please you can't base logic on these, and can't say it logic.

johnietoth1967 likes this.
  16. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Interesting hypothesis, but not what I wrote. I don't like grinding.

If I find any aspect of the game to be boring I can say it and I don't need your permission to like/ dislike something. Want to talk about objective subject ? No problem. But that is personal, and I wrote it clearly in the beginning of my post.

Speak for yourself like I did, I will believe you. But don't pretend that "the main concept and style of the game" is "a building/scrapping/mining game" because that's not true : it is advertised also as a survival, fighting and exploration game, made to appeal to a larger crowd than what you describe. But nice try by making an implied conclusion by inserting something I didn't say in the 1rst part of your sentence. I had no choice but to split it in 2.

And strictly speaking, since you don't "own" the game more than anyone else here, any player has all rights to plead for better performance and suggest that the developers do whatever they deem necessary to make the game work properly. You may have seen what Taelyn showed in another thread to explain why this "despawning" was needed.

https://empyriononline.com/threads/...-some-clarifications.94900/page-7#post-411436

17. Normal69

Normal69 Lieutenant

FALSE :D

Why don't we simply use the mechanics which are already in for despawning?
    Not as like any structure not having a player beside it 1-2 kms away would consume any resources.
    We left ours when gone to explore other solar systems - when I've returned, nothing was consumed/grown/changed. :p

And yes, you and I can have opinions, we can voice them - but you are basing your justifications on your personal opinions.
    Please forgive me, I just wanted to break that.

Peace!

18. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

No : the mechanic is required but may be bugged. That's not my opinion: it's the developer's.

My opinion about it is : I don't care (and I justify why), and players act like the developers make funky decisions (while it's a bug).

On topic : they could have a timer that can be modified dynamically by the number of structures and players present in a playfield.

Normal69 likes this.
  19. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

If I may, then how do you get materials to build with?
    Perhaps I am missing something but I have found that the only 2 ways to get materials to build with are mining and looting/dismantling.

Normal69 likes this.
  20. Normal69

Normal69 Lieutenant

The structure autodeletion is already in:
    [​IMG]

Unloaded playfields doesn't consume game resources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.