DEV BLOG Empyrion Galactic Survival: Leaving Alpha & Early Access

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Hummel-o-War, Jul 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Perhaps the better part of my post to explain this was the last paragraph, not the one you quoted:

They could have made structures and ships "unsalvageable" for some parts, and not be forced to resort to lame mechanics to avoid eating RAM like popcorn with 2 buildings and 1 small ship.

I know, but can delays change during gameplay (dynamic), or have to be set before and can't change during runtime (static) ?

stanley bourdon likes this.
  2. johnietoth1967

johnietoth1967 Commander

ok forgive me for the question but I have never seen that before (EmpAdminhelperconfig)

is this something I can use for local co-op?

and 2nd question is where do I find this program? (assuming I can use it on a local co-op game server)

thank you in advance

3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

johnietoth1967 and Normal69 like this.
  4. Normal69

Normal69 Lieutenant

You need to click in the "Tools" in the top left corner of your Steam game library.
    Then you can download Empyrion dedicated server.
    The admin helper program will be downloaded with it, inside here
    ....\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empyrion - Dedicated Server\DedicatedServer\EmpyrionAdminHelper\

You can start a home dedicated server, could one gigabyte for the helper+dedicated, one gigabyte per playfield (which is one per location like planet or space sector a player is in).
    There will be also a spare playfield server regardless.

johnietoth1967 likes this.
  5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Why did I write "dynamic vs static" with a pen in my left palm?... Damn, it's not easy getting old...

Bollen and Germanicus like this.
  6. johnietoth1967

johnietoth1967 Commander

7. johnietoth1967

johnietoth1967 Commander

I have 20 gigs ram, so I should be ok

Germanicus likes this.
  8. Normal69

Normal69 Lieutenant

Another bug I should report:

Plants growing strangely maybe have the cause!
    Sometimes when you enter a server, parts of your buildings haven't fully load.
    Nothing which cant be fixed with a quick relog, I've thought.
    But.

My friend just logged in, and our small glass farm wasn't loaded, just the plants floating totally dried out.
    When he relogged, the farm was there, but the plants were still dead.

Sooo, maybe this is what is effecting inside plant growth?
    The game does not load the full building, so they will be preceived as exposed to the elements which stunt their growth or even kills them?

9. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

I have to agree. I'm not a MP game player, I like single player games, and my variable schedule doesn't readily support MP play. I have hundreds of hours in this game, yet feel I'm a complete n00b. The depth of this game is amazing.

But I agree with the dozens of others that feel going 1.0 release is wrong on many levels. I love, love, LOVE Empyrion but it's obviously not ready for full release. Certainly promotion to Beta, but FULL release? Not there yet. When I started playing this I commented to myself that this didn't play like an Alpha, they should have jumped to Beta instead.

I realize at this point my comments are moot since they have done it, but I fear the sentiment (expressed by many) that they'll get eaten alive in the reviews may come true. There are many gamers that have zero tolerance level for a game with major bugs and will write scathing reviews (wrongly) and refund, just for the upvotes they'll get.

I truly hope going public with 1.0 just because it's an anniversary doesn't doom this wonderful game.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and will post MY positive review on Steam, something I rarely do.

Bollen likes this.
  10. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

I'm not an MP player, but I absolutely agree with this.

Having a strong modding community is vital to a universe like this. I was kinda shocked that a game this deep in development didn't have a complete modding system in place.

Blueprints and the like only take you so far, yet look at the amazing content some have created with just that limited ability.

Bollen likes this.
  11. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

Interesting view. If you think of it, it's kinda what MS has done with Win10, and the growth of the current gaming online structure does seem to support this idea.

12. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

Says the guy with 13 messages to the guy with 5K and 9K likes. Who's the troll?

BTW - it's 'YOU'RE' not 'your'. Called a contraction - two words shortened; YOU and ARE.

Sofianinho, Normal69 and Germanicus like this.
  13. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

Mmmm, yes there are lots of bugs, normal for a game of this magnitude. Go check ANY major game and you'll find 200+ bug reports as a not-so-unusual situation.

More players=more bug reports.

I'd love for you to post a major game from an Indy studio that has less than that number of active bugs at 1.0 release, or even months after release. I suspect months after release it goes way up with so many joining the reporting pool.

Note: EGS is NOT a AAA title from a major studio with huge income streams from dozens of other titles, this is the work of a team of less than 10 people. Your post is pretty harsh with that in mind. ;)

Sofianinho and SGP Corp like this.
  14. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

Yeah, have to agree on most, but I think that there's a fair number of people who don't take time to READ the reviews, but simply go by the numbers.

As far as negative reviews, my personal method of reading negative reviews is to:
    1. Place large block of salt on my desk.
    2. Read the reviews, licking the salt regularly.
    3. Ignore the idiots who posted on the wrong product.
    4. Look for patterns in them. If 40 people out 50 reviews mention something it's probably true ...
    5. Discount the obvious lunatics and those that slam the product obviously just for the karma or to hear themselves talk.
    6. Weigh the known issues against the real world for this type of product (example: find a GOOD toaster oven. Good luck, I've tried them ALL and no one makes one that doesn't die inside 2 years, regardless of price)
    7. Weigh against the good reviews.

LOL

(BTW - for those not getting the "block of salt" reference; it's a saying in many parts of the US to "take something with a grain of salt" as an expression of keeping an open mind or not taking something at it's face value. I just played on the grain elevating it to a block ... ;))

Bollen, Kassonnade and SGP Corp like this.
  15. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

Little tip - when a site doesn't have a good search function you can use Google search instead (or DuckDuckGo or StartPage, or, or ... they all support this):

<what you're looking for > site:whateverthesiteis.com, org, edu, etc. (Don't forget the colon, and no spaces)

Example: CPU and Flight System site:empyriononline.com

DuckDuckGo link: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=CPU+and+Flight+System+site:empyriononline.com&atb=v202-1&ia=web

EDIT: Added tip on formatting

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  16. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

Yeah I get ya, but you are judging them against a AAA studio with virtually unlimited funding streams from other games. It's kind of like comparing a 10 person electric car startup with Tesla and expecting the same standards.

As someone else mentioned (sorry I don't quote, too big a thread to go find it), comparing them to a AAA studio is unrealistic.

AAA studios go through a tightly controlled scripted regime to put out a game with very defined Concept, Basics, Alpha, Beta, Final release stages.

This process is usually managed by a team of different managers for the different game aspects, and in a big studio the MANAGEMENT team alone would exceed the total size of this games' whole team!

So, yes, this Alpha -> Release 1.0 is a bit off the "standard production track" but there are probably compelling reasons like cash flow.

The rest of your comments are my feeling exactly. I wish them well going forward.

For those of you who feel the same, be SURE you leave a good review for them so the game survives this apparent early release, I know I will. If you enjoy the game, take a couple minutes to say so. I'm not one who usually reviews, but I will this time, they need the support.

EDIT: Fixed sentence ... :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Supay, Kassonnade and SGP Corp like this.
  17. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

I sincerely hope they take you up on the offer to help! That's very generous of you.

Now if we could get people to step up and help fix the Wiki.

I'd do a little if I had more play time and a better handle on how stuff works.

I think the lack of a good Wiki and the crappy tutorials will hurt them when they go big release. I found it very hard to figure out the basics (STILL figuring out the basics!). I think they'll find people less forgiving now it's not labeled an Alpha.

They made a lot out of saying they're not stopping development or bug fixes, even new content, but most people won't care. If it's ALPHA people forgive stuff. Released, not so much.

The help structure and Tutorials need a LOT of work. Some people (like me) won't mind and will consider it a challenge, but I suspect the majority will just not play and write a scathing review.

18. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

I wholeheartedly agree with you!

But I would argue that although you don't feel the labels are that important I'm sure there are many that think it DOES matter. Witness the length of this thread ....

Let me digress - I'll bring up as an example from the 3D printing field. To prepare a 3D print it must be processed by "slicer" software to cut the object into layers that are then printed.

One of the most popular free slicers is Cura from Ultimaker, a 3D printing machine maker. They made the software open, which caused many competing companies to include it with their printers rather than writing their own (!! LOL). The problem is the most stable version for a long time was 1.5.7 . So what? Welllll ... someone screwed up and dropped a period. So it was labeled 15.7 !!

When Ultimaker released versions 2.x, 3.x, 4.x etc all the noobs would be confused when experienced people would tell them a problem was fixed or a feature added in 3.1 or 4.2 and they should download that to fix their problem. "Why should I get version 3.1 when I have 15.7 ??!!??" This problem has gone on literally for years. Probably responsible for thousands of confusion posts.

So, not only can a label matter but a bloody PERIOD can too. Here's a few extras for you ..... :p

But I DO agree with your post. But not all the new players getting version 1.0 of EGS will though. IMHO

SGP Corp likes this.
  19. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

LOL! Exactly.

Supay and Germanicus like this.
  20. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.