Empyrion has been removed from Geforce now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Evil Master, Jun 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. SylenThunder

SylenThunder Captain

I don't recall Empyrion ever showing in GEForce Experience. It's not in their list of supported games, which isn't surprising since it's still in development.

2. mgnacke

mgnacke Ensign

I am not perfectly sure it showed in GeForce Experience, all I know is that i am no longer able to edit my video settings at all and this is / was my only explanation so far. If you have another idea what may cause this, please share ... thanks ...

3. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Than uninstall GForce Experience - simple as that!;)
    And learn how to change settings for your favorite Games Yourself.
    I do and it looks very good!

Myrmidon and SylenThunder like this.
  4. SylenThunder

SylenThunder Captain

If you aren't able to edit the video options from the main menu, that's an indication that something is seriously wrong with your system.

GEForce Experience is just bloatware anyway, and should be removed from most systems.

5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Here is an article explaining a bit more the reasons why some publishers removed their games from the "service" :

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-controversy-over-geforce-now-explained/

The main point seems to be that nVidia did not ask permissions to include games in their catalogs, and that some publishers opted out when the free beta of GeforceNow ended, and was replaced by a subscription service.

There is also a point made about nVidia's service is not a simple "cloud computing rental service", as they make extensive use of game's material for promotion of their services. This may be a problem to some publishers, as the "rules" guiding which games appear where are far from being clear.

When going on the main GeForce Now page, customers are greeted by a page showing this:

geforceNow_frontpage.png

Obviously, these games here have lots more exposure than the ones we can see here, just below the previous image when scrolling down the page in the "The Games you Own" section :

strip-1.png

This section is made of 3 strips slowly scrolling from right to left, comprising the following game's thumbnails :

Strip 1: Paladins: Dragon's Call, World of Tanks, Fortnite, A Plague Tale - Innocence, WAR Thunder, Dead by Daylight, Path of Exile
    Strip 2: Ride 3, Tropico 6, Dauntless, Cuphead Dont Deal with the Devil, Crossout, Secret Laboratory, Warframe
    Strip 3: MX GP 2019, Mordhau, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Wolfeinstein Young Blood, Greed Fall, Splitgate, Saints Row IV

For all the games not shown on these two sections, here is what can be seen :

geforce_searchGame.png

Obviously, not every "product" gets the same exposure, and the rules of the game here can't be found anywhere. Is it a per-publisher deal, where no one has any way to compare with any kind of general pricing or advantage others can expect to benefit ?

nVidia also promotes usage of its platform with sentences like this :

"With over 30 of the biggest free to play games already on GeForce NOW, you won’t need to make a single purchase to start playing today."

Then they send customers to their "membership options" :

geforceNow_pricing.png

The pcgamer.com article to which I gave the link up here also mentions that nVidia's platform has forums, and it is a "curated environment". As such, information about how can each publisher interact with such an environment is far from clear, if not totally inexistent. While on Steam the publishers can still moderate forums if things go wrong, there is no such thing for now on nVidia's forums.

nVidia is using third party products as promotional material, and has a paid service linked to this, so obviously there are things to be cleared up by publishers before allowing nVidia to use their product's names as they derive a profit from this.

There is also the problem that at some point, Empyrion's EULA might clash with nVidia's offer of service, and like we see with this actual thread here on the Empyrion forum, Eleon could inherit additional work related to problems encountered with nVidia's services by users that would require matters to be cleared out between the publisher and nVidia, although Eleon has no obligation to do so.

As for the developers, it's up to them to see if they allow their product's name and content to be used as promotional material by third parties, but let's say that nVidia's way of forcing an "opt out" while they never asked permission in the first place is similar to some insurance industry practices that were decried in recent years, where "potential customers" had a limited time to opt-out on a paid option or else they would be considered to have accepted. This is against most good commercial practice and regulatory authorities in many places have taken action against these practices.

http://empyriongame.com/terms-of-service-eula/

-------------------------------

And I agree with @SylenThunder here : GeForce Experience is just another layer of crap eating RAM on top of the OS, and bloatware. I never got any benefit from it in the past, and it is intrusive. If someone needs to squeeze more juice out of his/ her pc, better ask for advice on forums here or on their respective OS forums, then relying on this crap.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Germanicus likes this.
  6. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Any ideas how to transfer the save games?

7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

8. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Seriously, please pay attention. Your links might be helpful to those who do not know what steam cloud saves mechanic is. But I am referring to Empyrion, so please again, pay close attention : Do you see any steam cloud settings for Empyrion? You did not even bother to check on your computer.

Screenshot from 2020-08-23 19-21-58.png

9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I gave you ideas. If you want something else be more specific.

Here, in the 4th link I gave you :

https://store.steampowered.com/account/remotestorage

If Empyrion is not in there, too bad.

PAY ATTENTION.

lol...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Germanicus likes this.