Empyrion too much like Space Engineers?

Discussion in 'Site / Forum Help & Feedback' started by Axios, May 11, 2015.

1. mega_newblar

mega_newblar Ensign

This, along with the rest of this post, is 100% true. Space Engineers has been struggling with the same issues for months and months... gamebreaking issues. I used to LOVE Keen, but honestly I've lost all faith in their ability to produce a solid game. There are just too many fundamental errors that will not scale well when the game is done... multiplayer in Space Engineers, for example, will likely always be subpar.

This game here is a fresh chance on a new engine with new devs.

@OP,

About the thrusters... there are only so many 'true' ways to manuever in space. I think it is enevitable that two space based games will have a few VERY similar systems, but the execution and playstyle should be different enough to keep us entertained.*

*Having never played the game... I can only hope :)

2. JayCo

JayCo Commander

You do know Empyrion is a planet !!!!!!!!!!

3. Alex

Alex Lieutenant

Perhaps he just wants to be prepared in case you need to offer a beautiful ship to enter its atmosphere ; )

4. VoicesDark

VoicesDark Commander

PURE speculation

5. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Rear Admiral

trekie4747 likes this.
  6. ObjectZero

ObjectZero Commander

Yup that's just about what they're doing. They're using the modders to fix the game. A 100,000 reward to fix their engine. They'll make way more then that from a working engine and you can bet they'll re lock down rights after it's fixed.

trekie4747 likes this.
  7. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

I highly doubt he will release the source code, you would see sneaky hacks overnight, and there would probably be a heap of clones of the game out within a few months. They would just have to be crazy.

I agree however that KEEN have got some pretty serious problems with Havok, especially when it comes to objects moving faster than 100m/s.
    Whether they can fix this, is yet to be seen, I suspect when they get the code sorted to run on multi core CPU's that some of the issues will get sorted, but not the fundament ones.
    SE has serious limitations to how big you build your ships, this is one of there biggest problems, it also has massive issues with how many objects are in the world.
    There is also the problem of how many machines are being used at once in a server, like mining rigs.
    Havok is just crippled if you build a ship larger than 100m long with all the bells and whistles.
    V-Rage there GPU engine also has a few niggling issues, like it doesn't address all GPU's in a system, it totally ignores dual GPU cards all together, doesn't seem to care for crossfire/SLI, yet the game is really video card intensive, just seems like they missed the mark there in this day and age and considering how much load SE puts on video card I think it was a bit rushed to not build V-Rage properly to handle more recourses.
    KEEN seem more focused on there AI module system than SE to me.
    If it wasn't for Empyrion coming along I don't think we would be seeing planets in SE and the AI announcement would likely have been far later in this year.
    So now KEEN are forced to look at there bigger problems, and I notice they have stopped talking about ''rotors rails and pistons'' and are talking about core code changes and fixes, like the multiplayer re-write of base code.
    Yay about time.
    SE needs Havok fixed to handle 1000m/s travel and collision.
    V-rage needs to be opened up to all video card recourses.
    Havok being owned by Intel means they will probably write a 'wrapper for Havok to handle hi speed collisions etc, well its one way anyway, but they cant really change Havok itself.

Anyway its sad to see such a great game have such fundamental problems for so long, Im sure we all wish it were better, sadly it might be SE 2 that really shines, when and if they ever get around to completely writing there own code for everything, in 15 years from now !

8. VoicesDark

VoicesDark Commander

*UNOFFICIAL POST: PERSONAL OPINION ONLY*

They've drained what money they could from the Steam PC gamers, atleast in my area the retail version was pulled from the shelves and website for walmart, so that last avenue they have for getting more money is the xbox one version for those console only types. I have no doubt the ME dev team is doing all the "heavy lifting" on the planets since they need it for ME anyways and the SE devs are focused on the Xbox version. Wouldn't in the least bit surprise me if development continued to wind down on SE and then 6 months from now of what not they announced another new game so they can start the money grab all over again. They've done it before with Miner Wars.

Knsgf likes this.
  9. Xentor

Xentor Captain

They have yet a new game to grab Money.
    Medival Engeniers.

10. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Wow they released there souse code !

Do you plan to to have a similar business model to the Unreal Engine or the Unity engine and make it possible to everyone to use your engine for a fair price?
    [–]KeenSWH[S] 12 points13 points14 points an hour ago (0 children)
    Yeah, definitely. That's one of the reasons why we opened the source code today. Except that we haven't thought much about the business model part of this initiative :)

There doing a live q and a right now on rededit.

11. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

[–]KeenSWH[S] 8 points9 points10 points 46 minutes ago (2 children)
    Planetary generator will have some random seed distribution, it will be configurable, so people with less-performance computer will be able to play too. DX11 should come in a couple of weeks.
    [–]KeenSWH[S] 14 points15 points16 points an hour ago (5 children)
    DX11 will come in a couple of weeks. Netcode in a couple of months...

[–]LLJKSiLk 2 points3 points4 points an hour ago (2 children)
    Do we have any hope of having client sync with landing gears, etc. on MP servers so that attaching a landing gear doesn't cause things to spontaneously explode?

[–]OndrejPetrzilka 3 points4 points5 points 27 minutes ago (0 children)
    Yes, we will 'merge' both objects into one rigid body, this will fix the issue. We plan to do it, but it's not a simple change, because it can influence large amount of other things.

What is your plan on food and hunger system?
    [–]KeenSWH[S] 18 points19 points20 points an hour ago (1 child)
    We want to work on this a little... one of our next dev directions is to add more survival elements, focus more on the "body"
    load more comments (1 reply)
    [–]
    KeenSWH[S] 11 points12 points13 points an hour ago (15 children)
    We want to work on this a little... one of our next dev directions is to add more survival elements, focus more on the "body"
    load more comments (15 replies)
    [–]
    NativeInterface 16 points17 points18 points an hour ago (7 children)
    Planets. Will they rotate?
    [–]KeenSWH[S] 24 points25 points26 points an hour ago (2 children)
    Unfortunately no. We need to keep them as static geometry (but deformable). Otherwise the performance would just die.

rededit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/35yv9f/we_are_keen_software_house_developers_of_space/

12. Xentor

Xentor Captain

So let simple say they wanna make a cheap copy of what here is planned.

13. ObjectZero

ObjectZero Commander

@VoicesDark Agreed, I though the same thing when I saw the last update for XBox control. They're jumping from game to game. When one stops making money they move on to the next, problem is the other games never get out of alpha. But they found they can make money this way so they keep going.

14. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

sadly it's sorry to see that keen doesn't seem to be attempting to fix things or even trying to animate a simple planetary rotation. As has been stated by a few others in this thread the engine they built SE on isn't very well optimized. Sure I'm playing SE now but I'll def be switching over to Empyrion once it goes to alpha. I mean seriously Keen would probably be doing better IF they worked on the engine they created to be better optimized and less buggy.

15. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Rear Admiral

It's not even a question of optimization at this juncture, the basic backend design is broken, and much of what makes SE run is actually cobbled together from 2 different software projects. It barely holds together in the first place, and this is obviously a measure intended to offload fixing it on the cheap.

16. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

basically it's the whole "lets throw the workload of fixing our screwups to the modders since we're too lazy to fix it ourselves." Deal again.

17. JayCo

JayCo Commander

They are writing a new netcode as we speak, It is intended to fix alot of the issues.

18. Xentor

Xentor Captain

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    *played beeing impressed*

19. JayCo

JayCo Commander

I am switching to EGS when it gets released anyways, SE has a long way to go before it is back to being fun for me again, too many issues now.

20. Syncaidius

Syncaidius Ensign

Friendly competition is good between similar games.

Empyrion probably wouldn't look the way it does if Space Engineers didn't exist.

Space Engineers probably wouldn't have oxygen or be getting planets/AI if Empyrion wasn't seen by Marek at KSH.

In all honesty, SE has a lot planned that Empyrion already had as WIP for a while. Oxygen, planets, re-entry damage, etc.

Empyrion still has a better thruster system and aerodynamics, and as of recently, food. Popping a thruster off a ship in Empyrion will do more than slow it down. It'll unbalance it, making it harder to maintain control over it.

I've got to admit though, the WIP planets Marek showed off in his latest blog post do look very impressive.
    http://blog.marekrosa.org/2015/05/space-engineers-full-source-code-access_40.html