End of main story... totally unexpected?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spacegal, Jan 9, 2022.

1. spacegal

spacegal Commander

Hello wonderful people of Empyrion and happy new year!

I'm writing this night because finally I've reached the 'supposed' end of mission 10 and as you may see from the attached screenshot... it seems the game is still not quite finished.

I remember that patch 1.6 and 1.7 were intended to fix also the last things about the story quests but here it seems that version 1.7.x of the game is still not the latest version, story quests speaking.

I must admit I didn't expect that: I was sure to have read in the patch notes something like 'now the story is playable' (not exact words :) ) but now I guess it was more some I pretended to read instead of something written for real.

Well now putting considerations and astonishment aside (I didn't see that window coming ;) ), may I ask something more useful for everyone than my personal conclusions? :)

So three quick questions, please, if I may:

1. can you please add some notes in the next patches whether or not the story quests are finished and playable or anyway some sort of progress percentage?

2. When the new story quests will be added to the game, do you think that I'll need to start a new game or maybe I can load a savegame from 1.7.x and continue from that?

3. Is already there a planning on when the story quests will be implemented 100%?

Thank you very much: of course I'm asking because I'm a big fan of this game :)

Kind regards.

Attached Files:

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

That I can answer. Usually updates to missions do require a new save game. There are ways to sometimes manually add it to an existing save but it's a lot easier (and safer) to just start a new save game.

Germanicus likes this.
  3. spacegal

spacegal Commander

Thank you very much: I guess if two forum's pillars such as ravien and germanicus says that, then it must be the truth and as always truth is not so pleasant ;)

Anyway there's something here that doesn't add up. I mean: the game is a sandbox ok but the universe created is perfect for a story and the story was indeed added later, it is good ok nothing the like of Horizon or Subnautica but it is definitely good to play and to follow.

Unfortunately at this point I'm beginning to think that Eleon itself doesn't like it, I mean not the story written in the game but the whole idea of a story added.

After the v1.7 patch there was a survey - to which I participated - but there isn't a single hint connected to 'complete the story implementation'... and if it was there I must have refused to see it because otherwise for sure I would have chosen that radio button :)

In my world well... what's the point in doing a survey of future features when the main story is not yet fully implemented? Shouldn't be that the top-uber-super priority?

It does not seem so in Empyrion, unfortunately for me and plot lovers and what's bugging me more is that it's a very good story treated like the least important thing to be added to a game.

Well what's a good game if not a good story in an unknown world?

Up until some days ago I was tracking things to suggest/evaluate with the community, story related things but I guess it is useless, after all story seems not really important for Empyrion makers or at least facts say so.

It's fine, maybe it is my disappointment talking but well Empyrion remains a great experience and I started four times from the beginning just to see how the story progresses and how sandbox mechanics were well integrated to support an interesting story: that's my illusion, because Empyrion is born as a sandbox which can support or not a story and it seems it wants to remain like that.

Too bad I believed more in the story of the game than the devs itself.

4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

It's already far better than Minecraft on that aspect : Minecraft only has an end boss battle and some text when player "wins". It follows the same "free roaming sandbox open world" concept but no story in-between start and end boss battle.

It's also hard to design a story while not knowing all content available beforehand (blocks, items,and scenario mechanics). At least the "proof of concept" is there : we can complete a story arc even if it's just a "chapter" and then continue play in the sandbox universe.

5. Spoon

Spoon Captain

Not sure when you last played Minecraft but it doesn't have an End Boss as such. At one stage the Ender Dragon wasthe end boss, but now when you kill it, it leads you to different areas.
    Minecraft doesn't really need a story line. You make your own, or just build....... whatever you feel like.

IMO Minecraft is more free roaming than Empyrion. You can take down POI's however you like in Minecraft. You are not forced down the "corridor shooter" route like you are in some POI's in Empyrion. You can build technical things in Minecraft.

6. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    There you might have mis-read something.

What was in the notes is that the NEW chapter 11 'Murky Christmas' is playable WITHOUT having to play through the 10 missions ahead of it - just as a gift (and for everyone to have a look before this mission would become "legit element" of the story).

Two things to say: A story in an openworld-sandbox game is extremely hard to do. All the ways a player can and will break the story progress due to the fact he is not funneled into a certain direction.

Then: the story has undergone a few changes here and there, but that's part of the process. New techniques arrive - we do something with it. Either new missions or making old missions better. So every time I add a new mission, I also often partly rework old ones (technically - nothing you would notice when not looking in the pda.yamls - at least if I do it right :D )

That being said, the MAIN story will be concluded with one of the major updates in the second half of the year (I do not know exactly, because for the next update there is not time for working on it I am afraid).

glen670618, Foofaspoon and Kassonnade like this.
  7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I play regularly with my kid but we don't go "end game" we just start a fresh game and push a few hours in before we switch games. My kid loves the "Nether" but I don't. The first time I reached "end game" was many years ago, when there was only the dragon and a wall of text following it. After seeing that, I didn't need to go again, and I would probably cheat my way there just to see what they have done but frankly it's too cheaply done to attract me now.

IMO Minecraft is more free roaming than Empyrion. You can take down POI's however you like in Minecraft. You are not forced down the "corridor shooter" route like you are in some POI's in Empyrion. You can build technical things in Minecraft.[/QUOTE]

We have logic/ circuits in Empyrion. As for POIs, if players can break every POI they encounter then they will break quests. How does Minecraft prevent this problem ? ... ^^

8. Spoon

Spoon Captain

The beginning of the game can be quite good. That's why people like to start over. After killing the dragon you can then search "The End" finding end cities and other things.

Not sure what you mean by "cheaply done" . Yes the graphics are not spectacular, but then they are not designed to be. If you want better graphics on it then some modders do this. Another good thing about Minecraft is that you can fully mod it. The graphics on Empyrion are definitely need looking into, just look at the NPC's and their animations.

Minecraft has 'red stone'. People have made 16 bit CPU's in Minecraft, while Empyrion struggle with signals working constantly for hangar doors.
    Minecraft has pistons, hoppers, observers, repeaters, comparators..... You can automate a lot of stuff in Minecraft. It even has NPC's that can farm for you.

As for Minecraft dealing with quests breaking. As it doesn't have any storyline quests there are no quest to break.

Don't get me wrong, Empyrion is a good game that has soooooo much potential. If I wasn't interested in the game I wouldn't be on the forum, keeping an eye on it so see how it's progressing. I wish all the best for the game and hope it goes far. Just at this moment I'd rather play Minecraft than Empyrion. I love the technical stuff in Minecraft (as well as just going round killing the baddies).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Kassonnade and ravien_ff like this.
  9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I'm sure you read lots of my posts, so I'm a bit surprised you mention this to me... but anyways : yes, sure.

This was my point, since it's the topic and not a general comparison between MC and EGS.

And I'm doing a part time re-run of Skyrim, checking all details and glitches I missed in my previous plays. I crash every hour or so, for random reasons, but what really impresses me is the loading speed of the game and the ability to sustain serious player stupidity without messing quests and savegames.

Amethyst613 and Spoon like this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Captain

I do read lots of posts on here and lots of yours as well. I was just wondering what you meant by "cheaply done", then went off on a bit of a tangent.

I agree, this is impressive. A sign that someone has looked closely into the structure of the quests and made sure that stupid actions will not break them.

11. tahaan

tahaan Lieutenant

While we're at it, sometimes I just want to sit on one of those rocks and watch the butterflies.

Don2k7 likes this.
  12. spacegal

spacegal Commander

I remember that, as I remember choosing not to do that: I don't like one time special event not in EGS but everywhere :)

I was not referring to that. But there is one thing I'd like to say: I didn't even doubted one second that making a story in a sandbox and in any game is a difficult thing, not even a millisecond. That was not close to the point of my message and in my opinion not related (i.e.: I guess writing Horizon Zero Dawn 2 story is not easy but one thing is release a game with the full story, another thing to release a game with a to be continued. My point is the latter, not the former). If it's mainly a matter of it's difficult to implement it's fine but then to me the best policy is Satisfactory's: we'll do every gizmos for years then in the 2048 we'll add the story (and of course I'm waiting the 2048 to play ;) ).

What I was saying is that EGS story IS good and it was perfectly placed onto the game world: if you're involved in that I'd like to thank you too for your work and I can confirm it was precious.

To better describe my status now: I've just seen the survey result... I just got enraged and uninstalled the game... I guess I'm not healed after days :)

I'm not even here to judge a decision or another: from my point of view EGS could also be rollbacked and be a 100% sandbox game it's fine. But if when you choose to add a story and announce that and fix that with several patches the v1.5 almost entirely dedicated to the story and then leave the story there to do other gizmos... to me is inexplicable. Furthermore making a survey asking what do you think we should do... it's too much for me to accept. Really I'm sorry.

From my point of view it's like buying a not electric car and then making a survey asking do you think we need oil for that?

I'm not saying I'm on the right side: I'm just describing what I felt and of course I may be on the wrong side. Before judging me I kindly ask you to consider what it could happen if on February Horizon 2 will be released saying: oh by the way the story ends at the 50% 60% 70% but we have a survey asking you if you prefer a brand new longbow or a new dinosaur :) that's what I felt with EGS :)

But I guess it's only my flaw so no issue at all :) sooner or later the story will be added so it's fine :) let's look ahead and thank you for EGS :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    glen670618 and tahaan like this.
  13. DareBGD

DareBGD Ensign

What are you talking about? The game has a wonderful intro and the story leaves so much untold. I want to see it all, I want to learn more about stuff in-game, not just aimlessly fly in my crazy buffed ship because of the abundance of everything. The game is just an unfinished test polygon in this stage, IMHO. Make it a game while we - the old players - still have the willingness to play. Honestly, there are not so many similar games, you have a chance to make something here. Why destroy the possibilities. Do you need storytellers?

14. ZipSnipe

ZipSnipe Commander

First I want to say I love Empyrion single player now, you guys have improved it sooo much, I am really enjoying it. About the story line and sandbox open world, please leave it as a choice. I cannot stand a story driven game that forces you down a path or two. This is the reason I don't like Reforged Eden (single player). I hate that it freezes up to tell me a story dialogue and even speaks for me. What I do like about Reforged Eden is what they have done with the A.I. of the NPC's, its awesome. Also love the extra gadgets ,warp engines and such that they have added. And I really love the RE poi's , some very good work done there. But I love the way vanilla Empyrion single player is played, I like that I can follow the story some and then veer off into my own little world. Keep up the great work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DareBGD likes this.
  15. glen670618

glen670618 Ensign

You are 1000% correct! We bought the game and it had a story. We liked it and we play the game being told the story would be done. THE STORY SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE BEFORE RELEASE!
    Then putting out a survey asking what to do is LAME! How do we know that the survey was done correctly and not that it was used "LIE" to NOT DO THE WORK! They need to finish the game Story and leave it in a way that you continue in the Sandbox.
    It is bad enough that you can not kneel or go prone! NO WXCUSE FOR THAT WHATSOEVER! Especially when the Enemy can!
    Lets keep it simple. You started the game with a Story...FINISH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Another thing the players did Reforged Eden and the story line is much more complicated but done faster than the ORIGINAL! They are not even being paid! WOW!

16. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

You do know you can kneel down, right? By default it's the "C" key, or a quick double-tap of "C" to lock yourself into a kneeling position.
    Only time I've ever seen an enemy go prone is when dead.

I guess you didn't know this, or you'd not have made this post.

I'll also point out that Empyrion is not a release-candidate game yet also. While they did drop the "early access" tag some time ago, it is still very much a game-in-development.

17. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

It's not like we didn't warn the devs that dropping the early access tag would lead to all kinds of confusion.....
    They brought it on themselves.

Steam lists a release date. Steam says the game was released August 5th 2020.
    There is also no big warning at the top of the page that the game is still in development......

So, regardless of what the devs say here on these forums, they are pretending like it's fully released on Steam.

They can't blame Steams interface either, because they knew ahead of time how it would look.
    They could also change the description to say it's still in development, and they haven't.

We know different because of these forums. Someone finding the game on Steam will think it's gold release already though back in 2020.