enums and lookups for db foreign keys

Discussion in 'Empyrion API' started by imlarry425, Jun 4, 2021.

1. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

Quick question for devs or modders that may have already answered this.

I'm playing around with a helper app (outside the modality of the running game) that gets info from the db ... something for getting access to bookmarks, routes through systems, where stuff owned by your faction is, etc.

That's been pretty easy but one thing I am noticing is that there don't seem to be any of the domain tables that would help make sense of what a row in any arbitrary table is telling you- for example the Entities table has fkey columns like etype, facgroup, facid that would normally point to the pkey of an EntityTypes, FactionGroups, Factions, etc. table so you would be able to know that an entity of type=2 was a BA and type=5 was a CV etc through the magic of database normalization.

Is there a place you go (callable API, file on disk, wiki, etc.) to find that stuff or have you had to reverse engineer it all?

2. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

Following up- asking @Taelyn or other dev for confirmation. Wondering if you have plans to encrypt the game global.db at some point.

There was a post today by @zaphodikus over in Hanger Bay where he made a comment ("fully understand that Eleon don't want Intellectual Property to be leaked via the log files, nor for that matter private data either") that made me realize that info in global.db could be exploited in an MP game to give faction/player advantage- knowing the x/y/z of every Entity for example or the distribution of remaining resources etc.

I'd been planning on filtering information to what a player could reasonably be expected to already know (where stars they had visited were, where entities owned by their faction were, similar) but it would be a waste of effort to build code around the db if you guys considered it IP or game balance private data and have plans to obfuscate it further than the fortress model of having an MP db only exist on the distribution server.

3. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

No there no plans, only a ServerOwner has access to the DB anyway

Lyceq likes this.
  4. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

Thanks much!

Taelyn likes this.