Feedback Required EXP v1.9 - New Game Start: ASHON

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Nov 23, 2022.

1. kingesckay

kingesckay Ensign

Thank you Hummel-o-War, I didn't check that the containers were not part of the CV or not I ASSUMED LOL, I had changed the CV to Private.
    I have restarted and there is now a Charged MT in the ships container, is this now the standard? or was that just a random thing.
    Usually though if you salvage a container it drops the contents box for you to pick up, I have now checked and none of the containers that have been spewed from the CV drop their contents when salvaged.
    I have often used the drone to salvage containers and then pick up the dropped items, is this a thing just for the start to force you to visit the containers in person? Or is this now normal for the rest of the game?

2. kingesckay

kingesckay Ensign

I hav
    e tried that too but I have weights and volume on, and something went wrong with my space bar (bad timing of jetpack) and I went splat into the planet and died. It would make for a very interesting start though I might give that another go.

3. kingesckay

kingesckay Ensign

Turns out the charged MT was a random thing, I did the sky dive to the planet, only broke a leg this time, that is be far the easiest start. Not really much of a challenge so long as you remember not to use the jet pack planet side or you soon die of face slams into the dirt:)

4. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    The containers around the CV are set up in a special way. They are acutally these "Personal Containers" which have their contents placed via the playfield.yaml (otherwise I could not pre-place loot in a place that has no core or only has a player-core).

The charged MT is a random find. Not intentional. Depends on the Loot List. ;)

Germanicus likes this.
  5. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

6. kingesckay

kingesckay Ensign

I did another start and o crashed the scout onto the planet, I have changed it to Private, I didn't waypoint the site and I walked away, problem is that it doesn't show up with the detector. other things do just not the scout.

7. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

The Scout should still show up on the registry.

8. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

I am trying a new game in 1.9 4008 with the Ashon start, i.e. dropping to the lava planet, with fast food and oxygen usage and high temperature impact.

Thought I would jot down what strikes me.

1. the food plants on Ashon are rare and I have seen they disappear if you use the tent just now and previously. I picked two plants, set up camp nearby having just landed and having fought off N'Tys, there were divots in the ground but I made sure not close to the plants, yet when I used the tent the two picked plants disappeared instead of refreshing. I have seen exactly the same before, found a group of 6 plants, picked them, used the tent and suddenly there were only 4. Dont know if this is Ashon or engine specific but its pretty hard to cope with that plus everything else.

2. The number of rockets you start with is not nearly enough to deal with the density of N'Tys. Simple enough. I have had to kill a dozen of them at least just to stay alive in one place and there are only 8 rockets, so you end up doing a Benny Hill with the survival tool aiming at their groin, as that seems to be the most effective location. If the point of the rockets is to enable survival without having to do this then there are not enough, if the aim is to give you a breathing space then OK its workable but its a lot of grind with the ST FYI.

EDIT
    3. In the end it was possible to land on the lava planet and build an SV from scratch with one M thruster and RCS and get back into space using the emergency rations. That is without visiting the engine compartment, which is hard to hit with a suit landing due to timing. Then of course it was possible to get to the space station and trade up for a better equipped ship. The advantage of this route is you level up quicker taking down all the N'Tys which converge on you so your first stab at an SV has RCS + M thrusters instead of no RCS and 2xS thrusters and you have enough research points to get wireless, fridge, cargo etc. Swings and roundabouts but its one way to go.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    Foofaspoon likes this.
  9. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

I have just observed disappearing food plants on Ashon again. This time around the engineering compartment and without using the tent.

The harvest on arrival was 35 and after working on the compartment the plants sprouted again and over half of them were missing with a total production of 16.

Stop nicking my plants!

My observation would be... if you land by the engineering compartment there is an excess of plants and this is not a problem but if you land anywhere else on Ashon II half your food plants are taken after the first refresh and if you only have two to begin with apparently you can lose them all. This is inconsistent with the rest of the playfields.

10. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Thanks for the description and testing @boolybooly This pretty much sounds like a bug (I have never heard of .. till now). Will check as soon as I find the time. :)

boolybooly likes this.