Experience Points, Player Level Progression and Tech Trees

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Oct 31, 2015.

1. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Yep, that works too, if enough time is invested into making it balanced. Reminds me of a paper & dice mech game we used to play called Robot Warriors where you built a mech out of components whose cost was based on their ability/effectiveness instead of using prefabricated objects. So you could pick whatever numbers you wanted for their specs and imagine up the effect you wanted instead of everyone having the same exact lasers and rockets.

Either way it is the type of tech progression that would add a great deal of replayability in the game and allow the player to set and chase their own goals. (As long as the progression is tied to something that makes sense.)

2. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Buhbye.

3. cle

cle Lieutenant

aha...that is your argument??

you have only empty phrases like "Buhbye" but you are not able to argue or discuss these theme like full-grown do....sorry >>> YOU are disqualified <<<

maybe you must lift more pizzas to gone full-grown....then you are "maybe" able to discuss with us.....

....i played games (very more hard games), when you was not born....so where are your "real" argument?

regards
    cle

----------------------------------

EDITED >>>>>> this game is going down with this tech-tree-system....sorry for that, but it is so......

----------------------------------

EDITED #2 >>>>> oh you was born before me....so, much more shame on your arguments.........

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  4. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Alrighty then.

We have different opinions about what amount of variety and progression will make the game the most fun. You seem to think "logic" or a "real argument" is going to change this situation. Good luck with that.

Eviscerator likes this.
  5. cle

cle Lieutenant

yes we have different opinions...

...no, i think human logic is going to change the situation...but maybe i am sadly false.

i had real hopes in this game but now i must say, thas SE is more worthy for a real survival game, because the devs won't make it right to every one who says "this is too hard for me...."

....the hope dies at least....and i still hope this game get the corner from casual to "real survival" without an unlogical tech-tree.

greets
    cle

6. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

You aren't going to argue me into wanting instant gratification in this game. Sorry but some of us like earning progress. Maybe you'll understand when you're older.

If you want to ragequit and go play SE then go ahead, nobody is stopping you. But don't expect people to try to argue with you after you've announced your departure.

Eviscerator likes this.
  7. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

I think this debate is around Sandbox VS Survival
    I agree in a sandbox a tech tree is superfluous.
    However in survival I truly believe if done right a tech tree can increase the difficulty of the game,
    promote individualized play styles, and increase the replay-ability of the game.
    As a stated before the current rendition of the tech tree fails on all of these factors.
    I still feel it can be fixed instead of removed.

But for those who think survival is too hard we might as well give options for all tech, Infinite Resources, no Starvation, Breath without Oxygen.

Oh Wait that is Sandbox. Mode

Eviscerator likes this.
  8. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

There's plenty of room for several difficulty levels between those two extremes.:)

Eviscerator likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Commander

Thinking levels and xp don't work for this style of game doesn't even come close to demanding instant gratification.

It's about immersion.

Without levels and xp, progression and achievement are all about what's in the game. Stuff which takes and effort to build but at the end you're sitting on a great honking space ship. It's not about a completely unecessary abstract numeric representation of "experience" and the pointless grind associated with that.

So that's a huge lie on your part.

It's also offensive to accuse those who don't like this addition as not wanting to earn progress or not being old enough. You're a very rude individual. Yay for ignore.

cle and ldog like this.
  10. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

The problem is that experience and the techtree need reworking. In their current form, they're rather immersion-breaking.

Why does picking plants allow me to build a new rifle? What does mining have to do with accessing a new cockpit design? Currently, experience is too broad, but it's been stated that the current forms are just placeholders. People have been giving their feedback, and we have to wait and see what EGS does with it.

I'd prefer tech-gating like Don't Starve, or more focused levelling/specializing like Skyrim, but that's just me.

11. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

LOL, I'm sure you also put the person I responded to on ignore, since he was making exactly the same statements about me, which was why I gave him the same type of response. Maybe you just don't appreciate parody.

And thanks for calling me a liar. That was not rude or offensive at all.

12. Alo

Alo Captain

You can find the quotes above in this thread: http://empyriononline.com/threads/pre-alpha-4-0-dedicated-servers.3377/

1. Please read the above statement by JayCo and take into account what he's asked when providing feedback.
    2. Please keep in mind the current techtree is a basic introduction. Your feedback will influence what the tech tree eventually will look like.

PS: this post isn't an invitation to start any off-topic discussion about quality of feedback or whatever. Eleon Studios wants more/accurate feedback on the techtree; let's stick to just that in this thread from now on and let's remind each other when we do seem to go off-topic/overly negative. Perhaps that'll help some.

13. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

14. cle

cle Lieutenant

ok you are right. at the starting (bevore the tech-tree) it was a very genious survial game...but now it is an FPS with minimal survival with an absolutely unlogical tech-tree (grab some plants to be able to research high-tech)....to build in such an simple tech-tree is simple, but to build in a considered tech-tree is more difficult....but i think the devs were thinking "ok we made an simple tech-tree and the users are buying it, so we leave it this way".

i don't want a "survival-game" that takes me by my hand and lead me/restricting me through the game....it will end up in a simple FPS....not my style.

surely it's a point of view....but as a gaming-veteran i dislike the casual-FPS-game methode.....this game will end up in a boring/casual game.

AND YES....i bought today SpaceEngineers and i'm much more comfortable with it....real survival in a real world/universe....i say it sorrowful, because i had great hopes in Empyrion....i had........till the time the tech-tree was implemented......this idea don't need fine-tuning, it needs REMOVAL .... it is my shame to said to all my friends "by Empyrion before SpaceEngineers...." ... now i'm sorry for that......and shame over my head....

----------------------------------------------------------------

@LiftPizzas >>>> if you are comfortable with this game-style, OK, it is your opinion....no negative to say about that. but you are negate other opinions/arguments with other useless arguments....that is your god-damned right.....but not my point of view....all legit.....so all cool....but from games (real games) you have no conception of/no expert knowledge of........

if you mind you need 10 diverse variety of one weapon...i can't follow you....for what you need it?? ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

this is no rage-quit from me, this is a V.E.R.Y. sorrowful quit.......this game has gone too casual/easy/boring.....no pearl any more, a game for the mainstream with age 0+ .......

------------------------------------------------------------------

the hope dies at least.....so please remove this useless tech-tree and get your own way.....Back2Roots!!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

(maybe) nothing more to say..............................

regards
    cle

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  15. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

You started out fine, and then devolved into the same nonsense again. You keep falling into this mentality that if tastes/preferences differ, somebody has to be wrong.

"What's this, your favorite color is different than mine? You have no concept of colors!"

Alrighty then.

16. cle

cle Lieutenant

....again empty phrases?? you are disappointing me....please answer at first my question >>>>

"if you mind you need 10 diverse variety of one weapon...i can't follow you....for what you need it?? ..."

...all other/further posts from you is beneath my niveau, sorry for that.....and by the way, my spectrum of colors is this >>>

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektromagnetisches_Spektrum

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  17. Nick

Nick Commander

I'm perfectly happy to accept that some people will like this feature, whether it be in its current form or some future one. Tastes differ.

But I'm equally certain that many players will never, ever, ever like it.

Look at the two of the other most successful titles in this genre - Minecraft and Space Engineers. Neither has an abstract numeric progression system (i.e. xp and levels). Progression is all about what you gather and build. It's all there in the world with you. That's a huge part of their charm and a strength of this kind of sandbox. Minecraft has "xp" but it seems (I've never played it myself) more like a currency like gold?

Like I've said before, I'm not worried about this. I'm confident this can be modded away with incredible ease. But I think it would be smarter for the devs to just include a config option to turn it off.

18. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Ad hominem, appeal to (imagined) authority, argument from lack of imagination, taking an analogy literally. These things are not logic, they are the opposite of logic. It is not my job to repeat prior posts in the hope you might read them this time around, convince you of anything, or be your imagination.

"You are inferior until you prove yourself to me because my argument is the default because you are inferior."

Congratulations, you've managed to roll personal attacks, circular reasoning, and hubris into one small package and think you've won something.

Eviscerator likes this.
  19. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Wait. Wut?

Minecraft totally has exp and levels. It's how you enchant your gear. And Space Engineers isn't a completed game. It's still in Early Access. There's still not telling what KSH is going to add.

20. Silent_Ninja

Silent_Ninja Commander

>It is not tech tree, it remains an item tree
    >no point re-balancing it, it need a complete overhaul
    >locking item by player level don't make any sense, researching/finding items/techs to unlock them make more sense
    >leveling up player does not make sense either, increase proficiency in various skill while doing them make sense. (player levels can be debatable)