Experience Points, Player Level Progression and Tech Trees

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Oct 31, 2015.

1. H4R81N63R

H4R81N63R Ensign

Hey, thanks for the advice kiddo. I'll be sure to exclude you whenever I have another opinion to share. ;)

2. Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo Ensign

Now you've issued a personal challenge, and while I find it distasteful to even acknowledge that behavior... I find it more distasteful still to leave a smug declaration of ignorance as the last word. Feel free to get the last word, if you feel that need... but please do not make it a smug declaration of ignorance if or when you do.

You've suggested so far that you require a rigid and extremely long grind in order to feel a sense of accomplishment, you've suggested that freedom and choice work against the enjoyable parts of the gaming experience for you, and you have suggested that you need to be provided with a reason to continue playing by the game itself or you will not have any desire to continue playing once you have exhausted the grind.

Based on these suggestions, I would ask if you have ever played ArcheAge, GuildWars2, Legacy2, Runescape, or World of Warcraft... and if you have played any of those what did you find most enjoyable about them?

Kassonnade and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  3. Diamaht

Diamaht Lieutenant

I would definitely support a research based system. Build an item then using resources and perhaps time (like with blueprints) you create upgrades for the that item. The upgrades change the model and so on. If you lose a constructor or want to build a new one, you have to build the base constructor then any upgrades you've already researched, then add those upgrades to the device.

An upgrade system could also let us personalize gear; extend a rifles range, add a night vision scope and so on..

4. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

*Imagines Personalizing my Gear by taking my actual damn time Crafting my Minigun & actually doing it RIGHT so it actually is durable, trustworthy, & reliable... instead of falling apart after 3 - 4 POIs if not Repaired...*

5. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  6. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

7. LinearBurn

LinearBurn Lieutenant

IMO the current tech tree and LV system is kinda a waste its one of the anoying things you just hurry up and get through to get to a end IMO sooner you get the new progression system and skill tree in the game the beter 7d2d did it right and this game would fill more fufilling when the current system is replaced (the current system is fast and anoying it dont feel fufilling. )

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  8. Helmke

Helmke Ensign

I'm posting this here because it didn't really fit in any of the other threads, and it does fall under 'player progression'. Players should receive credit toward solo missions that they aren't actively tracking. It is rather frustrating to find a rare creature or resource, only to discover you weren't tracking the correct objective when you killed/collected it, and didn't receive credit.

zztong and Kassonnade like this.
  9. SyraphX

SyraphX Lieutenant

- What do you think about the current system?
    - What could be improved?
    - Is level progress too fast / slow?
    - Tech tree and unlock points?

I'm not a fan of levelling system when it come to survival games, but I guess it's easier to balance or something since most survival I ever played use it (7d2d, Conan). And some even gave it a fail try (Rust).

The way progression works in empyrion right now is all about research and discovering new tech. That could be done a many ways instead of character levels.
    Here is a couple idea to unlock tech:
    -Have a research lab/computer. Study components and ressources you find and unlock stuff you can craft using it. It could be some kind of personal computer (PiP-boy-like) or inside you base / ship.
    -It could be a system where your computer got damaged when you crash landed. Data got corrupted and it need time to fix it (time-based progression similar to EVE), where you learn new stuff in real time.
    -Another system could be more random. You find Tech schematic in POI, random loot on some alien, buy them from trade center.
    -Ressources progression, you got what it need to craft it? You can craft it.

Right now, ammo = XP.
    Slaughtering every alien life-form you see with your ship gatling guns shouldn't make you unlock new tech for sure. Unless they didn't want to trade or sell their knowledge, and you were forced to take it by force... then allright... I guess.

Regarding the tech tree, alot of stuff is useless to unlock if you are using the factory. I always end up with ton of unused point.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  10. dichebach

dichebach Captain

I am of a very different mind than most others it seems. I play with player progress on slow and still find it too fast.

If you do make changes to make leveling even faster, PLEASE include more options in the settings so that continuing to play with at slow as the slowest setting currently affords remain an option.

I agree that, at present the system seems fairly artificial and incomplete, but honestly, if we all started out at level 25 (which is what Creative effectively does) the game would be boring. Leveling is part of the reason to survive and also the only real long-term goal in the game.

Dietrich likes this.
  11. M49

M49 Ensign

I have and idea to change the level system.
    Instead of unlocking each item one at a time. The different categories are divided up into tiers.
    Inside each tear is 2 points where the player can select one bonus from a list. The first bonus is in the middle of the tier. The second is at the end.
    This would be a end cap for completing that portion of the skill tree.
    The bonus could be used for people to make different classes in multi player specializing people into different roles. Maybe one guy is a pilot and another is a solider while the third is the miner. Or in single player a person can try multiple playthroughs trying different upgrade options to fit their play style.
    I think this would also help with people just scrolling through a category making sure to just buy everything. That i find myself doing after a certain point in the game and it is kind of tedious at that point.
    You could also put a level cap on different tiers so that a level 7 player will not be able to unlock all the hand weapons.

I think this will streamline the process of unlocking your tech tree while still having the player make choices about what they need at the moment.
    and adding the single select bonus inside the tiers will allow the players to focus on their preferred game style or replay the game to try different paths.

Also i feel the system is not a steep enough curve while lower levels feel right the upper levels are to easy to get.

12. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Captain

I level my characters by standing on a rock and shooting every raptor and alien in site. Killing the hordes of neutral aliens just for XP. They are neutral. We shouldn't have to kill them, but we do because the XP is there along with the loot. Maybe add faction rep so the aliens will always attack you after you kill so many.

zztong likes this.