Experimental 1.0

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agal59

agal59 Lieutenant

For several years I have been pushing to have the crosshair visibility improved. IMHO Player control over intensity and color would be ideal.

stanley bourdon and Spoon like this.
  2. Don't Panic

Don't Panic Commander

It's best you take a piece of tesafilm in the middle of the screen and paint a crosshair yourself, this ist quicker than the Devs this programming.:rolleyes:

stanley bourdon and Germanicus like this.
  3. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Are we talking the modern, sweet cheesecake, or the more classic savoury - actually cheesy - one? :)

One has extensive experience of cake.. Black Forrest Gateaux is a good choice.

Scoob.

4. HardcoreEwok

HardcoreEwok Ensign

Started Experimental 1.0 - 3044 today, can't warp between systems. Lock Target button generates some incredibly large LY distance ( > 100) no matter what system I select. I can locally warp within the solar system still.
    I noticed this first on my 12.3 save, where warping to any system gave me a 199 LY distance for every system in the galaxy map. Created a 1.0 - 3044 new survival game, spawned in a CV and same issue albeit with only a 183 LY distance. Again, can still locally warp in the solar system.
    If you're on the galaxy map, and instead create a waypoint to any system, what seems to be the actual LY distance is displayed. Once setting this waypoint, I can locate it by twisting my ship around in space, and it's in a completely different location than the "Locked Target" waypoint. My amateur guess is either the game is hard-locking onto some point far away in the galaxy map every time (which is why the distance shifts slightly between new games), or the LY calculation is busted and returning some pseudo-random LY distance.

Edit: thread here: https://empyriononline.com/threads/...n-shows-the-drone-distance.95246/#post-412998

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    byo13 likes this.
  5. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

Yeah been playing with V1.0 in experimental. They are a long ways from having anything close to a release version, that a new player is going to recognize as a real, finished game.

6. Ambaire

Ambaire Captain

Going directly from Alpha to 'release' with so many bugs and glitches and whatnot still existing... at this point, I'm expecting the game to be abandonware within a month.

xerxes86 likes this.
  7. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

Well tbh I love this game, and have stuck with it for quite a while now, running several public servers, with all challenges that involves in regards to updates and bugs. I think it can be seen as a positive to have the game move towards whats seen as a release version, but there is a few things i think havent been getting enough focus from the devs in this process.

1. In going to release, it is nescessary with a real roadmap of features, and a lot more focus on stabilizing the game.

2. Going to a release, there need to be a beta program, and not a experimental program, and one that actually works. Right now the participation on the experimental is so low that it functions more as a bug fixing branch for problems that should have been caught earlier, and not a testing branch.

3. I have for the last 2 years been working on creating custom scenarios, and expanding the joy of the game for my visitors. But way to often I have had to start all work from scratch, since features have totally changed, and the customization files have changed so much without proper documentation, that I could just do an "upgrade". Also the documentation lacks so much, that it is a battle in itself to figure out minor details.

4. There are some old problems when it comes to stability, that have been around for so long, that we lose a lot of players over time. I have seen a userbase of 200 shrink to 4-5 and then rise again to 100 and then drop to 4-5 again, and lately a rise again to 60-70 dropping fast again. And asking the users, it is always the same thing they refer to as the reason to leave, endless bugs and resets. With a more stable game we could run some servers long term, and allow users to expand the worlds to something magnificent, but then stability and bugs comes into play.

Well final thought is that I hope this goes well, but i havent seen devs focus on the required things to get a successful transition.

8. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Why not sticking to 1 version and build your scenarios and customisation on it, safely away from updates ?

9. byo13

byo13 Captain

I don't know if it has to do with build 3044 but after testing teleporter switches thoroughly the previous build, everything was fine. Now, after loading the save tonight one of my planetary bases had the teleporter turned on and was at 0% energy (I had the tank filled and solar battery was at 38% before). All of my bases have sensors and even that one base was working fine.

Hmm, will investigate further and as of now I have no ways of reproducing it.
    I'll keep an eye if it happens again but it seems as the teleporter on/off state was reversed during save load.

10. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

I firmly believe the teleporter issues will take at least a year to get fixed. That has been the way it has worked in the past. People think I just have a bad attitude, it's just the way it's has been. Just because you don't want it to be that way, doesn't make it so. Hope dies hard, I am more realistic, I go with what has happened before as a guideline. I have never even thought about using teleporters. I could see issues a mile away.

Don't Panic and stanley bourdon like this.
  11. byo13

byo13 Captain

Same here.
    The nearest solar system is 185 LY now.
    My bases in other solar systems are now only reachable by teleport.
    Hope they figure out what went wrong. Just saw it's marked as fixed for the next update.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Ephoie likes this.
  12. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

Maybe, because its pointless to develop for a version abandoned?

13. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

It's not pointless if it prevents your scenarios and customisations from breaking following updates and your players from leaving out of frustration of losing all progression.

14. byo13

byo13 Captain

Yup. It just happened again with another planetary base. All fuel drained, and the teleporter has a sensor installed as all my bases. It seems the bug is back.

Is there a way to reopen the topic below so we can discuss?
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/...ent-and-sensors-logic-7326.94808/#post-408217

It was thoroughly tested in build 3042 by me several times and everything was just fine.
    With builds 3044/3046, now it just happens every game I play. It seems related to loading a saved game and visiting a base that has a sensor and has a very low energy consumption like all of my bases. Suddenly that base is unlit at 0% energy and the only suspect is the teleporter as it was self maintaining itself with 100% battery, 1.8 KPU solar production and 63 PU consumption.

My fridge is a garbage can now.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    xerxes86 likes this.
  15. Cleff

Cleff Captain

Maybe I am speaking out of line as I haven't really messed with teleporters but, wouldn't it be a decent idea to make them burn pentaxid as fuel? It serves a similar function as warp drives (in function) and would disconnect them from the rest of the fuel supply and problems related to it.

Add pentaxid tank block for bases; teleporter uses pentaxid upon travel. Sounds nice in theory.

tony hug, cmguardia, byo13 and 2 others like this.
  16. byo13

byo13 Captain

Pentaxid would make sense.
    But pentaxid in tanks are only used when you're actually warping.
    If a teleporter uses pentaxid whenever it's on, we'll have the same problem of emptying pentaxid tanks.
    It doesn't matter which type of fuel is used. When you leave your base with an active teleporter it's gonna eat all of your fuel in a matter of minutes.

Solutions already presented in this forum include:
    1) Make the teleporter have an idle energy consumption like the rest of the devices;
    2) Lower its energy requirements considerably;
    3) Implement sensor behaviour directly in the teleporter;
    4) Fix that sneaky bug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.