Fixed Explosion kills devices behind walls [6023]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Philipp, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Philipp

Philipp Captain

Mode: Survival
    Mode: Singleplayer

SERVER NAME: -
    SEED-ID: 526437

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: Just some quests i created myself and smaller planets.

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Major?

Type: Explosions

Summary: Explosion kills devices behind walls

Description: I had a food processor, a munition storage a armor locker and a clone chamber in my base. Then there was a attack by drones and one of the drones hit the wall (outside) of my base with a rocket (it was a base attack drone).
    The walls were not destroyed, but recieved damage.
    But in my base, the food processor, the armor locker, the clone chamber and the munition storage were destroyed because of that explosion, which happend outside my base.
    My base is airtight and there is no way that the explosion should be able to come in the base.
    Is this the lagshot-problem again? Or is this intended?

Steps to Reproduce:
    Build a base.
    Put some devices inside that base.
    Let drones (base attack drones, rocket drones) attack your base.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:
    I just have a screenshot, after those devices got destroyed:
    bug.png
    But it was definetly the explosion that killed them, cause i was inside my base just the moment before the attack came.

2. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

... I think it's a problem with AOE damage.

The target of the rocket is probably the outside wall (or perhaps you inside, and impact happens at the outside wall). The explosion happens "at" the wall. But the "aoe" is calculated in a circle around where the rocket hit, and includes the items inside the wall (probably stuff right against the exterior wall, right?).

Despite the fact there is a wall (probably concrete or steel!) between the item and the explosion, the item takes full damage, as if it were outside, with the explosion.

The interior items have far lower "health", so are destroyed, while the wall stays in tact.

Either way, it needs fixed. :)

It wouldn't be so bad if interior items took a reduced damage hit from aoe... meaning, they still take damage, but say, only 10% of what the exterior took (just from being so close).

If this is already being done, then the health of interior items needs tweaked, to have a tad more survivability.

EstebanLB01, Philipp and Germanicus like this.
  3. Javarox87

Javarox87 Captain

This is AOE (area of effect damage). Their is a radius of damage that occurs around the initial point of impact. Steel & concrete blocks have a higher amount of hitpoints than most devices. The block may survive, but devices within radius of the rocket impact may not. It is not a bug, but a mechanic.

The term "lag shot" is also a thing, but not in this scenario. If you want to protect against rocket drones you can double up on blocks in certain areas of your base or design where important devices are in inner rooms of your base and also not directly next to each other. Keep in mind also that oxygen tanks and fuel tanks when destroyed will also do damage to devices and blocks around them. Some players call this a "cascade" effect of damage.

4. The Tactician[ Λ ]

The Tactician[ Λ ] Rear Admiral

ya its called lagshot, its a huge pain but the bug *cough* i mean feature been around since 5.0

5. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

I disagree: this is a bug.

If the rocket is coming from outside and hits the wall, if the wall is not yet destroyed, anything on the other side of the wall shouldn't take full damage.

Once the wall block is gone (there's a hole in it), anything on the other side is fair game for full damage.

6. NimrodX

NimrodX Commander

I noticed that but didn't think it was a bug. The shockwave from an explosion will penetrate walls in real life, so some things can still be damaged. Also, things like HESH (high explosive squash head) rounds are designed to do this. They are actually designed to blast chunks off of the inside of a tank without piercing the armor, then the chunks go bouncing around destroying things and injuring/killing crew.

Anyway, things can be damaged by explosions outside a wall that don't actually make a hole in the wall.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  7. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

What I said (emphasis added), from both my first post, and my reply to your post (which basically said what I said):

I believe right now, they take the exact same damage as if the wall isn't there. And that... is a bug. :)

Shockwave damage on the other side of the wall shouldn't be exactly the same as if you were out there with the full explosion and shrapnel and such.

There should be SOME protection for being behind a wall. Right now, it doesn't look like there is ANY.

EstebanLB01 likes this.
  8. NimrodX

NimrodX Commander

Well it could be considered a bug or it could be considered a design with a lack of realism. But yea it seems to me that it would make sense to have walls reduce damage some at least.

From messing around shooting at my own ships with rockets to see what gets damaged the splash/AoE damage seems kind of low already, but I was trying to specifically try to destroy thrusters by shooting at the block next to them. They didn't usually get destroyed until after the block next to them was destroyed.

Pach likes this.
  9. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

I like your research. :)

I think different rocket types do different levels of damage, so if that was a hand-held, it won't do as much as your HV/SV (and who knows which tier a drone has?)

Thrusters have a fair bit of health, too, but they are massive mechanical devices, so that makes sense.

It may be that some of the "internal" structures need their health tweaked, so one rocket hit doesn't take them out. I've always been amazed at what gets destroyed easily, and what can take a ton of hits to destroy...

And I believe certain weapons may do more damage against certain things? It may be that some internal items are just weak to rockets?

10. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Blocks and devices have a material type that is linked to damage modifiers that weapons can have (if you browse the config file a bit, you'll see the damage_multiplier keywords all over the place in weapon stat blocks).

As far as I can tell, there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to the HP and material type that a block/device has. Many haven't been modified since their initial introduction, and everything is overdue for a self-consistent balance pass (for mass, volume, HP, material, power consumption, and CPU usage at the very least (and thrust/torque where applicable)) based on their recipes.

Pach likes this.
  11. downwood0

downwood0 Commander

Each internal device has a material type, which determines how easily it takes damage. Most internal devices also have an explosion radius, and damage amount that they do when they're destroyed. It's very common, and very easy, for damage to penetrate through a wall and take out one of the lighter devices, which will then explode and cause a chain reaction of further damage and explosions. For instance, a decorative console. Extremely useless right now, but is considered Metal Light for material type, has basically no HP, but when it's destroyed, has a blast radius of 2 and does 80 damage. While a layer of blocks would be enough to stop that, if you had two of them flanking, say, a fuel tank, you might be in trouble. That small fuel tank only has 25 hp, but has a blast radius of 5 and does 500 points of damage. Doesn't take much. A standard rocket drone has a blast radius of 3 and 500 damage.

12. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    There is no AOE that is going "behind" a full wall. Any explostion is reflected on a vertical wall in front of you.

Just tested with BA Prefab T1 > shot with the epic rocket launcher at the back of the wall > all devices in the inside are still alive (tried this with all the devices named in the report as well, of course)

20190206210957_1.jpg

13. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Does this only ever happen with Base Attack (Rocket) drones?

14. downwood0

downwood0 Commander

I just tested with HV artillery for blast radius 4 and I couldn't replicate. will try more later. Will build something and have some drones attack it tonight.

15. Philipp

Philipp Captain

for me it happend only with base attack drones yet, but i didn't made any further tests. I don't have much time till weekend, but if it happens again and/or with other drones/weapons etc. i will tell you.

16. downwood0

downwood0 Commander

Okay, even with base attack drones I cannot replicate damage through walls. What I have see is damage through unfilled corners. And, if any wall segment goes down, you lose your splash protection. So, with that, I give you the picture below. The tank on the left is covered and protected. I spawned rocket and base attack drones both, and the walls took significant damage, but the tank was unharmed. The tank on the right was replaced for this picture after being repeatedly blown up despite the walls, as the damage will go through the unprotected corners.

Edit: just caught on video a drone managing to shoot through armored glass to take out a tank right behind it. I was doing an experiment to see if super thin plates such as windows would allow for 'contact' explosions rather than AOE explosions to damage through them. Appears that it does. I can say that for the most part, the windows protect the units behind them, and I have that on the same video, but it clearly shows a fuel tank being taken out through a window while the window remains intact. I'll post it shortly

Very consistently, if the window is 'yellow' health, then a direct shot to a window, if it's directly up against a device behind it, will not shield that device from damage. A window oriented to be 'away' from the device will protect a device behind it even if red.

(Roof was removed to take the screenshot)

NewGame_2019-02-07_09-30-02.png

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Javarox87 likes this.
  17. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    can you add the video please! Thx!

downwood0 likes this.
  18. downwood0

downwood0 Commander