faulty playfield - not a reasonable error message

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by LoOni3r, May 15, 2021.

1. LoOni3r

LoOni3r Lieutenant

Why don't the developers manage to incorporate reasonable error messages? "Internal error" can be anything. Even from the log I cannot see which playfield is faulty.

in the solar system [G] class there is probably something wrong with a template with me. How the fuck am I supposed to find out which one it is !?

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      8.8 KB
      Views:
    Kassonnade likes this.
  2. LoOni3r

LoOni3r Lieutenant

he actually created the folder locally. No folder was created on the server. I've been troubleshooting for 4 hours. It is ridiculous that important error messages are not displayed

Kassonnade likes this.
  3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Errors are usually easier to find when starting to look from the end of the log file, since usually at that point the game crashes and tries to unload everything, and stops writing the log.

Near the end I see this :

Exception: Playfield Rimmeg has unknown playfield type Undefined

So here is your pointer, easy to check at the start of the playfield_static.yaml in your Playfields\Rimmeg folder.

4. LoOni3r

LoOni3r Lieutenant

you cannot find an error if the error is not displayed on the server. I haven't seen a game that has such a bad error output. Empyrion developer takes you an example at Bohemia (Arma 3)!

Kassonnade likes this.
  5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Most of the time they are written in red in the game's console. Some of these have no consequences, but obviously some crash the game before we can access the console.

6. LoOni3r

LoOni3r Lieutenant

In the console [Ö] (German Keyboard) there was no indication of which template it could be

Kassonnade likes this.
  7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

There are still a few error messages that unfortunately don't show the file or playfield name.

If you posted some more information such as is this during local testing or in a live game, etc, maybe we can find the problem. What kind of scenario is it? When does the error occur? New game or an existing save?
    I'll look at the log when I get a chance.

I have a lot of experience tracking down errors (Eleon please add the playfield or file name whenever possible!)

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

From the log:

Survival\Client/../Saves/Games/NeuesSpiel/Templates/Rimmeg/playfield.yaml: the game will not start correctly.
    Exception: Playfield Rimmeg has unknown playfield type Undefined

So it's likely (but not sure) the problem is this playfield. It also tells you the exact line and column in the log where the problem may be.