Feedback for a game I love.

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Damion Rayne, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Don2k7

Don2k7 Captain

When I said about jump gate I was referring to a player built ba like ARC one submitted for example not the existing portal model already in game.
    I mention this because if possible that could open up more/different poi builds as one example
    traps would be another convo lol.

2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Oh. I would need a link to have a look at this, I thought you were simply talking about the teleporter objects...

"Traps" is just an idea. Let's say lazy galactic blue collars forgot to change the roadsigns on some teleports... ^^

3. Don2k7

Don2k7 Captain

https://empyriononline.com/threads/warlords-arc-poi-pt3-and-opv.98486/

lol yea traps sounds like a good idea

4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Ok I checked the link. Nice work!

You can make a custom teleport block (ex. small base and huge circular twirl of colors) as big as you want but like mentioned previously I have no clue if it can teleport ships. I did look a bit for the post I mentioned talking about this but I didn't find it. Needs testing.

You can also simply use a large transparent and non-colliding decal with a circular design that can fit the interior of the jump gate, just for visuals. Decals being square (or rectangles) the corners will be outside of the "gate" edges, but if transparent and non-colliding then these corners will just be invisible. We can also put an animation on decals, for a cool "active portal" effect.

5. Don2k7

Don2k7 Captain

thank you i spent weeks thinking about how to get those 'prongs' right so it didn't just look like a large ring lol.
    ok ill admit what you said is a little beyond me i feel, with regards to making custom teleport block etc.
    It sounds very interesting and very cool visually with the animated decals even if nothing else to give the 'active effect'.
    if tested and worked for even a small cv or sv however that would be even cooler i think and would open up more possible poi builds

Kassonnade likes this.
  6. Don2k7

Don2k7 Captain

7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

No. This one I have on my harddrive (the whole page) with many, many other similarly "informative" topics, like most of the How-To threads for building, scenarios, terrains, etc.

It was maybe someone giving a link for his work on the Workshop, but really twice yesterday I checked all sections apart the ones where only Eleon appears as thread author (all updates, News/ announcements sections) and I did not find it. Maybe it was a API mod of some sort, using the command mentioned in this topic here, but I can swear I saw a "gate POI" snapshot (like yours) and some explanations how it worked :

https://empyriononline.com/threads/teleporting-entities-doesnt-work.97314/

8. Don2k7

Don2k7 Captain

9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Don2k7 likes this.
  10. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yes that mod was added for the Ancient Warp Gate in Project Eden.
    I use a combination of video and asset decals for the animations and sound effects on the gate. It certainly looks like it could fit a small ship in it, and larger gates are of course possible as well.

Kassonnade and imlarry425 like this.
  11. Don2k7

Don2k7 Captain

i went and had a look at the ancient warp gate, very cool design. when you say it looks like it could fit a small ship in it are you referring to your warpgate or the 'jumpgate' i submitted on here?
    on the one i submitted you can fly a sv /small cv through it.

As Kassonnade mentioned above would be good if 'an animation on decals, for a cool "active portal" effect.' could be added as would improve the visual look at least.

12. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

My warp gate does have animations, but you have to flip the switch on it (use gm iv to open the control panel and find the switch so you can turn it on).

13. Don2k7

Don2k7 Captain

I was in creative mode, i got to see the animations very cool effects. i also liked the way the lights pulse down the gate, reminded me abit of the warp core from startrek.

ravien_ff likes this.
  14. Don2k7

Don2k7 Captain

ok so this does seem beyond my current knowledge of the game but i would like to learn and maybe make this something cool and unique for the game
    so as mentioned in earlier post;
    1. how do you 'make' a custom teleport block?
    2. "large transparent and non-colliding decal with a circular design that can fit the interior of the jump gate, just for visuals." are these custom made or need to be made?
    3. "animation on decals, for a cool "active portal" effect." i'm guessing this is custom as well?

15. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The best way to get animations like this is to use particle effects in Unity. Lowest performance and looks the best. But you'll have to learn how to use Unity.
    The other way is to use video files, but that has a heavy performance impact and won't look nearly as good. Plus it will take up a lot of file space.

See here:
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/modding-models-for-blocks.96541/

Don2k7 likes this.
  16. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

This all depends on the specifics of each. Particle effects can have a significant impact on performance, and videos can be made small and have less impact, yet still have good visual quality. Video doesn't have to be hundreds of frames, it's a loop. Particles mean lots of additional geometry for one effect vs 1 plane for decal. So it really is a case of testing and tweaking, whatever the chosen solution.

@Don2k7 you can also looke here for more infos :

https://empyriononline.com/threads/...cks-items-decals-terrains-with-blender.96924/

If you get stuck or need more, just send me a private message.

Don2k7 likes this.
  17. Don2k7

Don2k7 Captain

ok thanks Kassonnade

18. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I do strongly recommend using particle effects over video decals. Much much better looking effects at basically no performance impact and a vastly decreased file size with way more customization options. Video decals have a pretty big performance hit in comparison.
    They're also way easier to work with even if you're doing them from scratch once you learn the system if you're not good at animating.
    The Unity particle system is extremely optimized and versatile.

I still use some videos in my scenario but I will be replacing almost all of them with particle effects as soon as I get a chance (when I had set them up it wasn't possible to use Unity assets yet).
    Video decals should only be used when you specifically need an actual video to play.