Help needed Fixed Playfields

Discussion in 'Custom Playfields & Systems' started by Escarli, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

Simple query really, I'm aiming to have a fixed playfield as a starter planet but having issues making it work. I'm using the solarsystemconfig.yaml for the sector file.

First question....is can you have a fixed playfield starter using that solarsystemconfig.yaml file?

Second question, am I correct in thinking the best way to get a fixed version of your playfield is to start a game and grab the playfield.yaml file and use that instead of the dymanic/static yaml files?

If the answer to both of those is yes, I think I must be missing something because I can't get it to work. Doesn't even get to the loading screen, as soon as you click on the scenario it chucks an error. So I'm guessing what I've done is not the right thing to do....which makes me think what's the best/easier method to get it done?

I'm not aiming to do a full blown scenario with this planet, literally just one or two planets in the starting system and that's it.

Do I need to do a fixed sector file to make it work? If that's the case...drat....took a good look at the 'Invader vs Defender - Conflict of Cygnus' to try and figure it out and couldn't get that method to work either.

Determined to crack it....but I don't mind admitting I could do with a bit of help ;)

2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I think you have to setup your starter system/sector in the GalaxyConfig.ecf.

There are instructions how to do it at the top of the file.

3. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

I have some existing scenario's I've done and used the solarsystemconfig.yaml which works fine. However, it's when I try to use a fixed playfield with that I'm having issues. Hence my first question on whether you can have a fixed starter with that particular type of sector file.

Since I made that post I was able to take the playfield.yaml file and dump it into a custom creative I'd done without modifying it....and it worked first time. So in theory (with my limited thinking I must point out! ;)) I should be able to replace the playfield_dynamic.yaml and playfield_static.yaml files with the Playfield.yaml file...but it's not working.

The GalaxyConfig.ecf file is about the sectors not the playfield, so as I'm using the solarsystemconfig.yaml then it should be fine? I have two other custom start planets in the same scenario both randomly generated and they appear fine, the random gen version of the one I have issues with is also fine....it's purely this this fixed version I'm having issues with.

Kassonnade likes this.
  4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Take a look at Project Eden if you want an example. It uses a large number of fixed sectors and a random galaxy.

If you are using any fixed sectors in your scenario, you will need to set up your starting solar system using the sectors.yaml file. The galaxy will not automatically generate a random starting solar system if you have any fixed sectors.

stanley bourdon and Kassonnade like this.
  5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Okay I have confirmed the "seed" entry only works for a playfield.yaml file.

stanley bourdon and Kassonnade like this.
  6. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

That's what i was afraid of, and am I correct insofar as we can't use a fixed playfield as a starter planet?

The seed for the static/dynamic yaml's definitely worked in A11 I know that much so must have been changed for A12, unless it's a bug?

7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

How can we answer that ?

The only place I see the "solarsystemconfig.yaml" is in the Default Multiplayer scenario\RandomPresets, and if you have a look at the "playfields" in the "TemperateStarter" folder you can see terrain.ecf, playfield_biomes.yaml, playfield_debug.yaml, playfield_dynamic.yaml, playfield_dynamicV2.yaml and playfield_static.yaml.

There's no other place we can find the "solarsystemconfig".

For all the rest the scenario probably gets the "game defaults" for prefabs and other templates.

How should we know what these are all about and how the game uses them ? Why not all of these are in each of the other playfields ?

Why why why how where ? :confused:

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Well there's one way to find out. Give it a shot. :D

Kassonnade likes this.
  9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I "succeeded" in starting the game with a "fixed playfield (space)" yesterday but my starter base did not show up, and the game loaded a skybox I did not ask for. On the following trials the game just stuck on "loading" and I had to alt-f4 out. But i'm not giving up yet...

10. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

That was the point of the thread in the first place ;) I've tried and couldn't do it, so was wondering if it was possible and I just haven't been doing it right or I was trying to do something that would never work.

11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'll try to test it if I have time today.

Escarli likes this.
  12. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

So... did you have time to check this ?

13. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Do you have news on this ? Any progress ?

Just for your info : I'm using "fixed" playfields now in a mini scenario, and one is my "starterplanet" and always generates identical. I don't use the solarsystemconfig because that is only a general config for planet types, it does not affect "sectors" that we define ourselves.

In my "sectors" file I simply enable " galaxy mode : on" and the game takes care of the rest. If you only want a starter planet to be a "fixed" playfield then just do a custom scenario with a very simple sector (you need at least 1 system!) and the "galaxy mode" will simply place it and generate all other systems randomly.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Commander

The "Escape from Purgatory" Scenario (by OTG gaming in the steam workshop) uses fixed starter playfields. (I think) Since changing seeds don't work on them. The start planets are always the same, regardless.

15. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

Aye I think that hole starter system is a fixed playfield isn't it? I did try that but couldn't get it to work.

Be good to know though if the seed not working in the static yaml files is as intended or a bug.

16. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Take a playfield from the "Invader vs Defender - Conflict of Cygnus" (in the game's content folder\scenarios) scenario and strip it from its content, then load it in the Empyrion Playfield Editor and fill it with your own content. These use a "fixed seed" that works - don't ask me why.

I took one planet of each type (temperate, lava, desert, etc) from that scenario, stripped them and made my "bare templates" out of them. I use them in my scenario as a "starting point" for a random game, and these planets spawn exactly the same each time.

How old is that "Escape from Purgatory" scenario ?

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Commander

I'm playing the version that uses Reforged Galaxy configs as well. It's currently updated to release V 1x of the base game, and v1.53 of Reforged Galaxy. Last updated on 8/27/2020

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Kassonnade likes this.
  18. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

If you start several new games and check the maps in the savegame's cache\NewGameXX\Playfields\WhateverPlanet\map.png , can you tell me if you see differences between any of them ?

Maybe 3 or 4 new starts can do the job. I did the same here with a custom scenario a while ago, and although I used "fixed" method with seeds the stamps/ terrain would change, slightly at first, then a lot after a few starts.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Commander

Interesting. Ok. I will try it. I have restarted a couple of these maps multiple times. (as I have been helping to test this scenario in a private branch) but sadly I have been deleting them, (to not get confused with changes) but I will look into it. Also, Empyrion Playfield Designer *IS* reporting them as fixed (they do use playfield.yaml and not dynamic/static.yaml) I'm just now (seriously) dabbling in this Emperion scenario/playfield design stuff so forgive my noob mentality. We all have to start somewhere. ;-)

Edit. I launched the current playfield I was working on as new games 6 times just now. (for 7 map.png's total), and I can see zero difference between the original, and last. But here they are to show you. (original from 8-31 and test 6 from just now)...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Kassonnade likes this.
  20. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Cool and thanks for checking!

So how did you "build" that playfield in the first place ? What template did you use ?