Food processors have high idle power consumption

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Kishmond, Jun 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Kishmond

Kishmond Ensign

Food processor: 300 PU, 30 idle
    Small constructor: 250 PU, 5 idle
    Fridge: 5 PU
    This all applies to base-type equipment.

Food processors still use 10% of their power when not doing anything, compared to 2% for a small constructor. When idle they take up the same amount of power as 6 fridges! This is so much higher than other equipment of a similar tier that it seems like a bug.

Otherwise I'm enjoying the updates in 1.5. I haven't played in years and it's nice to see some of the things that have changed.

KRanKO5, Pach and Germanicus like this.
  2. It might be a legacy thing that never was changed.
    Back when the food processor still had an internal inventory (before the logistics update) it acted like a fridge so the items in it didn't perish.

At the time they intentionally set the idle power use much higher than a normal fridge to still give players a reason to actually use fridges as well.

KRanKO5 and Pach like this.
  3. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

I do the same for the food processor that I do for the constructors....I group them together and set a custom switch to turn them off. Then only turn one on if I need to use it, making sure to turn it off when it's done. I NEVER leave them running if I'm out and about.

KRanKO5 likes this.