Food System

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. EleonGameStudios

EleonGameStudios Developer Staff Member

• Developer
    What do you think about the current food system?

2. MrSpades

MrSpades Lieutenant

Well right now I am finally growing some crops so I will be able to let you know about the food situation soon. But glad we have some MRE's right now.

3. MrSpades

MrSpades Lieutenant

Ok so I have been eating tons of AlienLemon(something) and I do not see my food going up. So as of right now I do not see how to make food. Not sure but I think we need more templates on the crash ship. Maybe we get more once I start adding more things to my base. Soon will figure this out ;)

4. ObjectZero

ObjectZero Commander

You can eat a bunch of items, that are not good for you to eat.

You need to make a food processor to make food.

5. MrSpades

MrSpades Lieutenant

Yes trying to make that food processor now. But some stuff on the ground should be edible imo like certain roots and plants containing berries. I mean shoot, if we have wild animals roaming the planet, I think that berries and roots wouldn't be too farfetched.

Nymea and Herr Doktor like this.
  6. ObjectZero

ObjectZero Commander

KIll the dino for quick food. but be careful food spoils over time.

7. airlynx99

airlynx99 Ensign

I made the food processor and ate about twenty sausages at once (I was really hungry), but I think it made me fat. For a few minutes afterwards my stamina went down really fast just walking a few steps lol

Boomslang likes this.
  8. Devlah

Devlah Ensign

I've had the starter sprouts planted in growing plots under grow lights for several in-game days now. They are showing no sign of growing.
    View attachment 356
    Am I doing something wrong here? Are the lights too far away maybe?

Eviscerator likes this.
  9. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

Water maybe?

10. Silent_Ninja

Silent_Ninja Commander

My mini farm is about exactly the way yours is and it grows just fine.
    It takes roughly half of a hour IRL time to grow I believe.
    It could likely be a bug too.

11. Devlah

Devlah Ensign

View attachment 357
    I brought the lights down one block, and they began growing! So I made a few adjustments to my garden. I'm saving up resources to do the same setup on the other side of the room (not shown here). It appears that the lights need to be within 2 blocks of the plants. Not sure if it matters if the orientation is vertical or horizontal though.

Herr Doktor likes this.
  12. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

I haven't explored it much (pretty much just been making salami from hunting dinosaurs) but I would like to see an upgraded fridge for bases and capital ships. Perhaps some kind of deep freeze that fully halts the perish time of all items inside. I think this would be very useful, or even near essential, if we get to the stage of dedicated servers where time is always going, so if someone was logged out for a few days their food would be all rotten in the current system.

Eviscerator likes this.
  13. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Or just have other nonperishable options like the MREs/Emergency Rations. There's already canned food in game, but I'm surprised to see that it spoils relatively quickly, about five or six ingame hours.

14. Michael Robison

Michael Robison Ensign

I like how there's different foods you can make from the raw meat...that's a nice touch

15. BlackStar7713

BlackStar7713 Lieutenant

If I'm not mistaken, they spoil after 350 ingame hours, not minutes like it says in the wiki. So outside a fridge they spoil after 14.5 ingame days.

16. Raptorsorus

Raptorsorus Lieutenant

not sure if its a bug or intended but the tomatoes, corn, wheat, pumkins...basically everything but durian fruit and pearthing fruit disapear off the plot and give one item...wich u need to make new seedlings... wich give you 2 seedlings.....so im kinda guessing u make your first harvest into seedling and after that you do a 50 / 50 split for food and seedlings? kinda want the food to drop diff amounts off 1 harvest

Herr Doktor and Eviscerator like this.
  17. BlackStar7713

BlackStar7713 Lieutenant

Yea I noticed that too. Especially since making a new plant requires Nutrient solution which in turn requires spoiled food. So you let one tomato (or whatever) rot and use this and the one you kept fresh to make two more plants and start again.

Eviscerator likes this.
  18. Raptorsorus

Raptorsorus Lieutenant

go hunt meat and let that spoil easyer to get and more abundant ... if u do it that way your just growing them for the sake of growing youd have no surplus to use for food that way lol

pretty much im down to basicaly only farm stuff for the emergency rations.. otherwise i got hunt .. some of those foods dont give enough to make it worth doing all that farming and time invested and you get like 40 more food than ham wich i can make 12 at a time just for killing 1 or 2 triceratops .... food needs rebalanced and worked on but thats what alpha is for =D

19. BlackStar7713

BlackStar7713 Lieutenant

Yeah that's what I meant, farming is not self sustainable. Well it is, but then it's useless.
    Overall I like the different food kinds, but balanicng on them is obviously not yet really polished.

20. Devlah

Devlah Ensign

Well, for the moment I can grow a significant amount of Space Durian that allows me to not only feed myself to full, but also have a surplus each harvest, as the plant remains and does not need to be re-seeded. The surplus I just allow to rot in my food processor so that I can make nutrient solution used to produce other crops for more efficient foodstuffs. Making "Space Fries" allows me to boost the food value with no added ingredients. With this constant supply of Durian, I am now in the process of growing everything I need to make Ratatouille, which requires
    1 Space Durian
    1 Tomato
    1 Pumpkin
    1 Bread
    All of which can now be obtained without hunting. And this has a value of 100 Food, 10 Health, and 10 Stamina. With the constant supply of Durian surplus, I can easily produce the Tomatoes, Wheat and Pumpkins that require re-seeding.

My ultimate goal of course, is to be able to make my own emergency rations, but those require meat. I decided on Ratatouille because it is the one meal that is infinitely renewable and has a relatively high food value, as once I'm in space for an extended period of time, I don't expect to be making too many trips planetside to go hunting for meat.

Nymea likes this.