Food System

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

That would be cool, at the moment I've noticed that some fruits and plants that naturally occur on the planet don't regrow once picked which sort of sucks. Once you pick those plants and fruits they are gone for good in game on that planet which means you can run out an item that is suppose to be self sufficient.

2. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

When you use the food processor to make a new sprout/seedling, it uses one of the crop and gives two new plants. You do need nutrient solution to do this, which requires a spoiled food (any item that reaches 0 perish time), which does eat into your crop. But you could use the re-pickable cropes like Durian, or get meat from wild animals, or pick some wild plants to get those.

3. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

think you misunderstood what I said in my post. Some of the wild plants are not regenerating currently. It could be a bug or it could be a function that is a part of the game. But being able to get seeds of these plants would be great as a way to self-sustain them. Quite a bit of said plant items are needed to craft certain health improving consumables.

4. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

I have to disagree, simply on the assumption that when you sweat or pee, it just goes into the suit and is recycled. I feel like water should be kept as it is, adding extra to your system to rehydrate faster instead of waiting on your suit's processor to catch up, and as an ingredient in crafting recipes.

Herr Doktor and ObjectZero like this.
  5. Full Metal Panda

Full Metal Panda Lieutenant

I find having to deal with bottles of water annoying. I mean we're in the future already, what? did we forget plumbing technology? If the base is in or on water and the water purifier is in the base, couldn't it just supply the base with water? Instead of having to carry water bottles from purifier to food prep.

6. grognon

grognon Lieutenant

The space durian picture is a yellow sweet pepper ! Dev have ever seen a durian ? :confused:

Herr Doktor likes this.
  7. MrHoax82

MrHoax82 Lieutenant

Just a thought... Today we went to a bbq with pork, just one whole pig on a stick.... there were 50 people present and we all had about 4 peaces of meat and it doesn't make me feel hungry even now :). I think you can guess where this post will go :-D.

How many pigs fit in these great dino's on the startplanet? ... ... Exactly :)

We should be able to fill up a whole fridge with one dino, just make them harder to kill...

As i said, just a thought :).

Nymea likes this.
  8. ObjectZero

ObjectZero Commander

I'd like food to stack. While I understand this can't totally happen due to the spoil timer. I think being able to stack food items that share a spoil timer near one another should be able to stack. A couple seconds plus of minus really wouldn't matter to most.

For example; the food processor is set to make a 6 hams. These 6 hams would form a stack in the inventory when done since they're made so near to each other. Where if I can back 10 minutes later and loaded up a new pile of raw meat they would in turn become another different stack. Since the spoil timer would be further apart.

The sweet spot for the timer for stack and not stacking I've not figured out.

9. BlackStar7713

BlackStar7713 Lieutenant

I personally would recommend something like in Sims4. If you have multiple of the same food (like fish or stuff) in your inventory it just shows one and when you click it, I t opens and shows all that are there. So like a folder in which they are stored, everything still with it's own timer.

Eviscerator likes this.
  10. Xakthos

Xakthos Ensign

Honestly painful to work with. Farm plots should give some indication if they are affected by glow lights (light up the edge or something). A form of notification system when plant can be harvested would be nice. I think the making of the growing blocks that the plants go into is a tad costly for a single block, probably should make several from each.

11. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

grow lights affect blocks 1 away from them and can be used at a height of 2

12. Kaltonse

Kaltonse Commander

I too have experienced this and I believe your explanation of grow lights to be 100% accurate

13. BlackStar7713

BlackStar7713 Lieutenant

Does it have a diagonal effect too? So is it 5 blocks or 9 blocks that can be affected?

14. Cronos988

Cronos988 Lieutenant

Looks like it's 9 blocks (also check the pictures on the dev blog, they have 1 light for 9 crop plots).

On the topic of the food system: Like in many other games, steaks seem the best solution for simple sustenance until you have a very big farm. More processed foods should give significantly more food, e.g. a bread which takes significantly more effort to make should not give 50 food while a steak gives 70.

15. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

Eggplants you gather from Omicron I think should be regrowable, they are an important key item in creating a certain food item. From what I can tell... eggplants, and those egg nests thingy's don't respawn. the ones I've picked don't seem to come back if I leave an area alone for a while.

16. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Don't know if it has already been mentioned, but CORN gets you 40 Food Points, while Popcorn (Processed corn) only provides 30? :D

Maybe the following is true only becaus this is Alpha and some stats are not final for now, but imho higher tier food (even if only processed once), should provide at least more Food Points than its base item.

In addition: Food recipes with more ingredients should provide more Food Points based on the base items.

For example:

Canned Vegetables = 100 Food Points
    Ratatouille = 100 Food Points

Base Ingredients summarized:
    CV: 1x Tomatoe (+25 FP), 1x Space Durian (+40 FP) = 60 FP
    RaT: 1x Tomatoe (+25), 1x Space Durian (+40), 1x Pumpkin (+0), 1x Bread (+30) = 90 FP

Finally
    *Why do Pumpkins provide zero Food Points Pumpkin should at least get 25 or 30 like Tomatoes or other vegetables that can be eaten au naturel ^^ (Maybe that's only me, but here in GER, raw pumpkin is much more common to be eaten than raw corn ^^)

Nymea likes this.
  17. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Yes, it has been stated that values for damage, nutrition, weight, etc are only placeholders. They're gonna change.

18. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Merci :D

19. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

eating raw pumpkin... never had it like that... what's it taste like raw?

20. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

Like turnip/swede I believe.