Filed / Tracking FPS drop on POIs that cut into the ground [01414]

Discussion in 'Tracking / Filed' started by Dadrick, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Dadrick

Dadrick Ensign

Build: 1.11.5 4470

Mode: Creative/Survival

Mode: Single Player/Multi Player

Reproducibility: Always

Severity: Minor

Type: FPS Drop

Summary: Custom POIs that cut the terrain cause excessive FPS loss when the POI lights are turned on.

Description:

Any custom POI that cuts into the terrain will cause excessive amounts of FPS loss relative to the depth and the number of lights in the POI.

The FPS drop gets worse the further underground the POI goes. Forcing the POI to regenerate fixes this issue. Turning the lights off also fixes the issue. Obviously, neither option is a solution for play on multiplayer servers.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Set a playfield to spawn a POI that cuts into the ground by 20-30 meters or more. Ensure the POI has 30+ lights in it.

2. Travel to the very bottom of the POI.

Screenshots:
    Shows a new drone base in RE2 that has this issue, we've had this crop up on our own server with other POIs though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I show my FPS at the bottom of the POI before and after I forced a regen.

Vollinger and Myrmidon like this.
  2. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    • Administrator
    Hello thanks for your report.

We didn't find any issue with the terrain or depth of a POI but the amounts of lights enabled at the same time in this scene is excessive We always recommend for such POI's to setup so a large amount of lights to be toggled on & off via motion sensors which the author of the POI/BP would need to take care of

Myrmidon likes this.
  3. Dadrick

Dadrick Ensign

I know this is a scenario, but if I start a game of Reforged Eden 2 I can get this issue to happen every time I visit the new 'R2BA_XenuDroneBase'
    POI. You can find it by starting a survival game in RE2 and going to one of the 'Alpha' desert planets. We've had this issue happen with other custom POIs on our server as well. I'm running an Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti as my graphics card. So it's not as though my PC can't handle this game. I can spawn the POI in creative with no FPS loss despite all lights being turned on. For the FPS issue to happen the POI has to be generated by the game on entering a playfield.

4. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    • Administrator
    We noticed something else and this is logged to be looked at

ravien_ff likes this.
  5. Dadrick

Dadrick Ensign

Perfect, thank you!