Not a bug heater not working on ice planets

Discussion in 'Archive (Read Only)' started by Magmakey, May 22, 2023.

1. Magmakey

Magmakey Ensign

I love Empyrion, having spent hundreds of hours on it but I am having a problem
    I have been trying starting on Ice planets but I notice that at certain low temps the heater just doesn't warm you up enough to stay alive, remember when you first start the game you don't have any of the extras for your suit to keep you warm, I have even tried using 2 heaters at a time but still ends up freezing to death, also I have tried going inside my SV ( having died many times along the way from freezing before I could collect enough material to make an SV) and many times I still end up freezing to death even though I am in my SV.

Build:
    Mode:
    Mode:

SERVER NAME:
    SEED-ID:

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS:

Reproducibility:
    Severity:

Type:

Summary:

Description:

Steps to Reproduce:
    1)start game on ice planet
    2)test heaters to see if they warm you up enough to stay alive
    3)

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

2. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

The portable heater/cooler effects don't stack. Using 1 is the same as using 10.
    It is only able to raise or lower your temperature a max of 30 degrees.
    So if the outside temp is further than 30 degrees from your safe temp then it won't help.

This can be edited in the BlocksConfig.ecf file though.
    It is called a mobileaircon in the file.

3. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

Likewise, the SV or any vehicle you can enter drops/starts at ambient temperature when powered off and that only starts climbing once you power it up. The temperature rises at a fixed rate, so (especially in space) it can take a while before you get to a temperature that doesn't lead to hypothermia. You may need to start your SV and then hang out in your BA/CV until it gets warm enough to protect you.

Survival on an ice planet requires finding the warmest places (lower altitudes) as quickly as possible and collecting the raw materials to make drinks and foods that increase your body temperature; grilled steak, dino stew, hot beverage (the gold standard at +8) are a few of those. You can even stand next to thrusters or generators (watch the rads) to warm up. Ice starters are hard and temperature management is a big reason why.

Germanicus and -AKEVA-BANSHEE- like this.
  4. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

And also EVA booster with a couple of speed boosters are excellent to have installed on an armor.

5. Longcut

Longcut Lieutenant

Pretty sure that's the point. You have to be quick about finding one of the warm zones or some form of shelter very quickly on the ice planet start. Harvest those buds, too, to make Hot Beverages (can be constructed in your suit constructor) to consume and combat the cold. Find a body of water, those typically have slightly warmer temps.

The game does 'avoid' super cold temps during the day during the first few days. You can sleep thru the nights with a tent.

These are just a few of the things I've done to survive that start:

- found a crashed shuttle or engine compartment to quickly build some wood blocks and door and seal if up for a quick base.
    - found a trader facility to stay in thru the night.
    - build a cheap hover of small vessel with a closed cockpit, though this requires some luck and quick resource gathering.

Germanicus likes this.
  6. A.F.T

A.F.T Grand Admiral

Heater have a info: Max temp change : 30 ... Any more quections?