Help with a playfield

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by gk258, Sep 12, 2022.

1. gk258

gk258 Ensign

am just creating my own scenario. I made a new solar system with only one planet. I copied temeratestarter from stock playfields folder and named it temperatestartergk (I put that folder in my scenario playfields) my only planet I set to temperatestartergk. I load up my scenario. Escape pod down to planet but the grass and rocks are like 40 meters above me and the terrain is changing like it's being updated in real time as I walk on the planet. I seem to be walking towards mountains and poof starts becoming water lol. I thought just starting with a safe playfield as my own copy would be easy and then I'd go into it and customize to my own colors and such but haven't even gotten that far. Are we not allowed to copy a stock playfield? Or am I just doing this wrong :)

2. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

I ran into this issue a few times, but it has nothing to do directly with copying the playfield.

Have you cleared your cache already. I think it has to do with some old seed data and the game not clearing the cache correctly.

Also I read somewhere that it can happen if you switched in your savegame from creative to survival mode or vice versa. Did you do that at any time?

Also try to verify your game files in steam.

Also delete any .yaml.bin files in your playfield folder.

Start a fresh game after all that.

In general: You can of course copy and use stock playfields in your own scenario. I'm doing that all the time, and as long as you haven't changed anything in the playfield yet, there's no reason that it should work any other than the original playfield, you copied your template from.

/jmc

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  3. gk258

gk258 Ensign

I've started a new creative server with a new save folder and still same issue

4. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Ah, ok that's a creative server. That's a different topic then. As far as I know that's a game bug.

I think it has to do with createive seed always being 0 and random playfields like TemperateStarter rely on the internal SSG to create a new random world, because it's a random playfield.

I don't know if there's a solution to this, but you can try to force the playfield to Seed 0.

Try to add 'Seed: 0' somehere at the top of the playfield_static.yaml.

Then the playfield won't get any other seed than 0, and that might fix the problem. But if that doesn't work, I have no clue.

But don't use that playfield or server then also for survival games, because Seed: 0 is used for creative only, and any other seed is for playing.

Maybe you can only use 'old' templates then, that only consist of a playfield.yaml only, or creative MP is bugged in general. Haven't played around with that.

/jmc

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  5. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

Ah, sounds like you are trying to use a fixed custom playfield on a creative dedicated server?

I'm pretty sure fixed playfields are broken currently in creative on a dedicated server.
    Only randomly generated playfields are working for creative mode on a dedicated server currently last I heard.

gk258 likes this.
  6. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Hmm, I had thought so, but he said he used TemperateStarter which is a random playfield, not a fixed one. Thus my assumption that instead random playfields were broken because of their dynamic nature, not the fixed ones.

But can't say for sure, just guessing here.

/jmc

7. gk258

gk258 Ensign

Yup I used the temperatestarter. Should I try a different playfield? Or maybe set my server seed to 0 since it's creative?

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

This is an issue with creative games on servers that use custom playfields. I haven't played around with it enough to know of a fix and i haven't had a chance to report it as a bug yet.