[HINT] "Copyright" of Workshop Blueprints

Discussion in 'Knowledge & Info' started by Dead8Eye, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuleica

Zuleica Rear Admiral

I'd look to the Second Life model for creation where ther are creator options for no copy and no mod. The idea could work here with some slight modification and new repair stations that replace block to an existing BP.

If the BP is no mod or no copy then the core, instead of being destroyed and removed in battle becomes unable to function but still retains the creator info and restrictions. If it's no copy then if a core exists the BP cannot be used to create but only repair. If it's 'no mod' then a new BP cannot be saved so any changes to it are local and temporary and repair will restore it to original by removing any temporary mods.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel here as SL has addressed these very issues now for a decade. Use what they learned and refined.

Waywarden and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  2. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

This is partially a heads-up and partially a request for help, but user "Settlement Defense Front" has been stealing blueprints from all over the workshop and re-uploading them for a week or two now. I've reported the ones I can identify, but maybe an extra pair of eyes or two can help put an end to it.

Hell, they even tried to upload the "Pilgrim" SV (by Mr.IceCat) and that's on the front fluffin' page of the Workshop. How brazen can you get?

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. Zuleica

Zuleica Rear Admiral

What is even the payback for doing that? I don't understand what they have to gain at all.

4. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I caught him re-posting the Planetary Dock as the "Serenian-Ferry-Terminal"

Tyrax Lightning and Kieve like this.
  5. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

Thanks Fluffy. I knew that one had to be stolen, but I couldn't find the original to save my life - spent almost an hour the other day looking.

6. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

It's my favorite base to use when I'm building in Creative mode.

Planetary Dock

7. Ambedrake

Ambedrake Commander

This is why I am placing hidden signatures in our birds at the moment, without a locking mechanism Im already reluctant to post them though Im planning on posting a couple of our primary birds, custom POIs, and the outlaw from our community steam account here soon after the XGP is done.

8. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Ego, powered by Self-Delusion. :/

Oh hey, that looks familiar... Oh yeah! Former Boss WarMachine used that or a ancestor of that Base for GMT HQ in a past Red vs Blue Server Incarnation. He had a real liking for it.

9. Zuleica

Zuleica Rear Admiral

I plopped one of these down in creative mode then went about removing the 'excess' turrets. At about the 4th half the structure collapsed in on itself. Never thought REMOVING weight would do that...

10. Tyrax Lightning

Ya know that long side of that Base opposite the side with the Building? I remember screwing around with SI back then & noticed that ENTIRE Side of that Base was a big fat field of Red. Former Boss WarMachine used cheater Game Master Powers to disable its SI so the Base could be used & function... i'm sure of it. Not that I had any complaints about it, he WAS a Game Master & my Faction's Boss at the time.

11. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Held together with duct tape and bailing wire, eh?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  12. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

You have to make sure you completely sink the base, otherwise it can collapse quite easily.

13. Tyrax Lightning

Or alternatively Hand Craft all Planetary Bases, like I do. :p

For the Topic: I maintain the position that dishonest people should be mercilessly Pitied in the hope that the Pity will be Toxic to their self-deluded egos. Seriously, i'm a freaking Asperger & I can make stuff that peeps can like. *Glares at the Dishonest People* Put some effort into doing your own building Peoples! o_O

carlos.deleon1 likes this.
  14. vicomt

vicomt Captain

we're doing a similar thing, hiding a known coloured, textured and symboled block within the structure of all vessels somewhere. I do hope that Eleon give us some way to protect our creations. I was trying to explain to someone the other day how I and Ooj see our ships as art, digital, virtual art, but artistic creations nonetheless. strangely enough, they didn't get it :/

Pyston, Desus and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  15. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

I've had someone modify one of my creations and upload it. They gave me credit for the original build which is all I ask for; recognition of the work I've done. I admit I had a different reaction at first. In the end they weren't claiming the work as their own and they'd created a piece of satire which I could see the humor in. It made me rethink things about the nature of creative ownership and sharing. In the end I've continued to make more blueprints because I enjoy it and I'd like for others to enjoy my work. I'd be curious to see what modifications other people make to my designs. They might come up with a better idea for something that I can incorporate into my work.

I download and modify blueprints now and then for my own purposes....creative differences, adapting the design to fulfill a different role, updating an abandoned or broken design, etc. I've only uploaded a modified design to my workshop exactly once. It was a mostly abandoned and unfinished work and I gave credit to the original designer and linked back to them. There's another blueprint I've done some work on but I haven't uploaded it and probably won't unless I get permission from the author first. I'm thinking that's probably how I'll handle uploading mods to other people's designs in the future if I even do so.

oojimaflip and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  16. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with uploading modified content, if credit is given / linked back to the original. I had someone recently make a "More guns" version of the Seraphim, and was mostly amused by the result (and moreso the description that went with it). In a similar vein, one of my early uploads was a rework / re-imagining of a Zero-G design my GF liked. The end result bore only a vague resemblance to the original, but I figured credit should be given since I used the Sidewinder as a base.

The real problem is people who think just because they change a paint-job or upgrade the block-type, it's somehow a whole new BP and don't bother mentioning where it came from.

17. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

They tried to steal Angelspire this time.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=791938581
    I'm getting real sick of this crap. @Hummel-o-War , is it possible to ban this person from workshop uploads? They just refuse to learn.

EDIT: I guess if I should be nudging anyone, it should be @Arturius1967
    Regardless, my point stands. This user is continually and repeatedly uploading uncredited / stolen BPs. It just... boggles me that they'd do one from the front page and think no one is gonna notice.
    [​IMG]
    *facepaw*

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  18. Gray

Gray Commander

prefabinfo shows the creator saved in the blueprint, no idea tho if that gets overwritten when you create a new BP (no idea if that guy actually re-saves the BP or just renames them to upload them again).

19. Tyrax Lightning

*Nabs that epic Tiger Pic*

For the Topic: The same lack of brain power that can't figure out how to make even a basic creation also tends to be too low in brain power to be able to initiate a Rogue Plan with even an ounce of brain power... aka being a "Rouge". :p

It's disappointing that they can't even settle for using Pre-Fabs, which exist for the very purpose of providing for the uncreative. :rolleyes:

20. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

I downloaded it briefly to have a look. They didn't so much as paint a single new block, that's a straight rename/copy from my last update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.