How to use FILLER BLOCKS

Discussion in 'Knowledge & Info' started by Hummel-o-War, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

That is not a complete answer, and not answering my question. The quote from Fractalite says that unless the red alien core of a POI is destroyed, it does not take SI into account. What you write here is misleading, as players can make POIs that will not crumble down until the core is removed (which makes sense) but it still allows them to build POIs without the limits of "unsupported blocks" restraining designs.

And that info is given in some thread, but not here by you. Is it on purpose that you are being so cryptic when answereing questions ?

--------------------------------------------
    Shown in "example_planet" playfield_dynamic.yaml, an example of Structural Integrity turned off :

- GroupName: ArtifactsFloating
    CountMinMax: [ 1, 2 ]
    PlaceAt: OnWater
    DroneProb: 0
    DronesMinMax: [ 1, 1 ]
    ReserveCount: 1
    TroopTransport: False
    SpawnPOIAvoid: [START]
    SpawnPOIAvoidDistance: 4000
    Properties:

- Key: SI # Disable SI for floating POIs
    Value: Off
    --------------------------------------------

Now since this "feature" can only be used in the yaml file, that does not help players who just want to check their builds without having to edit files. The "solution" is to use another core, the blue one (for admin type, with specific "rules" outside scenarios) and the red cores, which don't care about SI until core is removed.

Is this accurate, @ravien_ff ?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

No, it is not.
    Core type has no effect on SI for POIs.

POIs calculate their structural integrity as if the lowest block level was touching the ground (and nothing else). So basically keep the bottom of your POI flat (keep the bottom of the floor or the bottom of support pillars at the same height as each other, with nothing lower than them).

This is true even for buried POIs, only the bottom layer of blocks will be considered as being supporting blocks for SI even if it's completely buried in the ground.

I also do not have a lot of time to make lengthy forum posts when I am at work, so short answers are what you get until I get home. :D

3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Well here's a quick test I just made.

This is an Alien POI with a red core. The long horizontal arm is around 30 blocks long :

NewGame_11_2020-08-26_03-00-38.png

And viewed in god mode, clipping in the blocks :

NewGame_11_2020-08-26_03-01-31.png

This is a simple POI, no SI disabled here. Did I miss something ?

Edit : here, just to be double sure, I modified it a bit :

NewGame_14_2020-08-26_03-17-08.png

If that's not defying SI then what is this phenomenon ?

That is a survival scenario setup, gravity is 1g, Medium difficulty, no SI disabling in the yaml.

If I "cut" the main pillar, the structure collapses - so SI is indeed "active" but not regarding the normal block's stability_glue that limits design to max 12 "unsupported" blocks.

NewGame_14_2020-08-26_03-29-18.png

From the MaterialsConfig.ecf :

# SI: current max length of a horizontal beam = 12 blocks
    # stability_glue / mass = max number of blocks in a row that will not break apart due to SI.

ConcreteArmoredFull has mass of 4000 and stability_glue of 6000. That structure could never hold itself together if the red core did not allow it. Do you still maintain that the core type has no effect on SI ?

jmcburn likes this.
  4. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Just out of curiousity. Did you try and enable SI debug view for that POI and see, if it is all green or starting to turn red at the end of the beam?

That should show, if SI is enabled or how close you are to a collapse.

I personally have no idea, if certain cores have an effect on SI or not. Possible, but haven't checked.

/jmc

Kassonnade likes this.
  5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

The thing holds itself by "magic" :

NewGame_23_2020-08-26_04-14-08.png

But the fun part is that I destroyed the red core and it still held up.

NewGame_23_2020-08-26_04-17-57.png

I placed in a green core and nothing changed :

NewGame_23_2020-08-26_04-19-37.png

And still shows the "magic" :

NewGame_23_2020-08-26_04-19-42.png

Maybe the "core" was contaminated ! :D

But to be coherent with the present thread, I could do the test with some filler blocks to see if these don't trigger another response from the SI...

6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

If you try placing a block on the red part it will collapse. SI is only updated when a nearby block is added or removed. You can actually make entire POIs that are completely unsupported by SI and as long as nothing is destroyed on them they will stand.

7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

How can you add a block to an Alien POI without claiming it in survival ?

You just want to avoid saying that you were wrong in the first place, aren't you ? Red cores do allow "impossible" builds, and I just showed this. I gave you a link to @Fractalite's detailed instructions, and pointed you to a specific statement he made regarding SI and red cores, and you just try to make a point where there is none to be done : all that was already mentioned in Fractalite's post, and I don't see why you try to twist the question to make this information false.

And this is misleading.

8. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

Thanks for the answer. It was just weird because I approached Hummel directly.

but that puzzles me. Here is a sketch with a current POI.
    All parts are one POI and combined with the command "connect to base".

upload_2020-8-26_11-59-20.png

The following questions arise from this.
    1. The soil/ filler blocks transfer the si from the cave to part A2 ? Or does it have to be placed directly on the cave with standard blocks?
    2. Do all other parts A1 and A3 no longer have an SI if only the lower level of the cave is calculated? or does this only apply to connected structures with blocks?
    3. Does everything collapse when the player changes the core or is the SI then calculated according to the fundamentals of the player bases?

And finally as a wish. It would really make sense to have a thread on structural integrity here in the knowledge base. ;)

ravien_ff likes this.
  9. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Filler Blocks do not provide SI Support so if you have a POI with filler blocks underneath you need to create columns that extend from the POI bottom to the lowest part of the Filler Blocks using normal blocks to create the support, so in your case A2 needs columns extending until A4 and A4 need columns extending from the bottom to the lowest level of the POI , the columns themselves need to be all at the same level at the bottom

Here's an example using my Tribal Burial Chamber

If you go into survival and look for this or the Elders Tomb POI and go in god mode and go under the dirt you will see that the base columns need to extend to the lowest part in order to provide support
    20190114224049_1.jpg

You can also go in creative and in the BP factory in the prefab folder look for TribalBurial and check how the POI is done

Jorgodan and ravien_ff like this.
  10. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

@Kaeser gave an excellent answer for this.

In your drawing A3 and A1 would also need supports reaching all the way down to the bottom in order to be structurally sound, however it would only be an issue if a player destroys a block on A3 or A1. It might also collapse if they attempt to build on A3 or A1 as well.

Jorgodan likes this.
  11. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

Kaeser's answer is easy to understand. That's logic.

But that:
    What really ? Down to the lowest level of the cave. Since I need the command: "terrain removal -24" for the cave
    would the terrain be cut out under all other objects?
    Then do I have to refill the entire area with filler blocks?
    Sorry, but that's really not understandable.
    Of course I assume that a player can also take over a civil POI as a player base and expand it if necessary.
    Then I'd rather clear the cave before I do this insane job. So either you have a big block under the surface or there is nothing under the surface.
    I really can't understand why you can't do the calculation like you did with player bases. Where there is surface, is SI, done.
    Well then it is so. Than many ideas can only be implemented with far too much effort. Too bad.

And finally, these things should really be written in Hummel's start post.
    It's not your fault, but my ignorance spreads frustration.

12. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yes if you have it remove terrain, then it will remove all terrain from the entire bounding box of the blueprint, so in this case you need to fill in everywhere you want dirt with filler blocks so it leaves those areas.

Jorgodan likes this.
  13. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

"Yes if you have it remove terrain, then it will remove all terrain from the entire bounding box of the blueprint, "
    That applies to the frame of the objects on the surface even though there is no other solid substance underneath them?
    In plain language this means, that no smaller sub-areas in the underground are possible under a large object without filling the entire area with filling blocks.
    If I have a closed structure above it may still work, but with an open structure it somehow makes no sense.
    OK ,I have to accept the mechanics of the game. Thanks for the information.

ravien_ff likes this.
  14. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Yes, terrain removal means that if you have a dungeon, where you have filler blocks will be filled with the terrain and where you have empty spaces those will be left empty, for the complete bounding box of the BP

If you don't have terrain removal both filler blocks and the empty spaces will be filled with dirt

By the way, to avoid issues with the spawning of the BP in game use command prefabinfo with -clearpivot then spawn it again and override the BP with the new one

I don't know how to explain it better, just do what I said, go in creative open the BP Factory open the Prefabs folder and spawn the BA_TribalBurialChamberV2, it's the Elders Tomb, you will see that at the bottom of the POI some of the blocks are concrete, those are the support columns

It also has the option to Remove Terrain because I wanted to create a cave under the POI, that cave is where I don't have filler blocks

If you want to know how they are spawn in SP start a game in the Tempered Planet, look for the Elders Tomb and go under the dirt to see how it spawns in game

No on your drawing the A3 and A1 are standing directly on the terrain so they do not need additional support

The problem refers only to POIs buried into the ground, where the game needs to make a hole, in that hole the only support is the terrain at the bottom of the hole where the POI stands upon, that is why you need columns from there until your POI

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Jorgodan likes this.
  15. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

Thank you @Kaeser for trying so hard with me.
    I'll take a look at Elder's grave, but I think I've already got that part. I just have to learn how to use the tools properly.

Perhaps there is actually a misunderstanding with the command "remove terrain"

What does the terrain removal command cut out?

Just the box of the massive substance beneath the surface
    or the total area of the objects lying above the surface?

I built my cave out of alien blocks. So it is de facto a labyrinth of corridors and has a massive cubature.
    I have to remove the terrain so that there is no earth in the cavities. Everything above that has to be filled in with filler blocks. That’s clear. Also the part with the SI for this building A2
    If the command only cuts out this area with the cave formed by the outer massive blocks of the cave, everything will be as I assumed.

But if the command removes the entire area I have to fill the entire trough under components A1 and A3 with filling blocks.

Or to ask it another way: can the complete bounding box just be one simple cube including everything, or is it made up of several individual cuboids?

Specifically, it's about my UCH research station for the challenge.

16. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

If the POI is burried into the ground the remove terrain will cut a hole as big as the BP Spawning bonding box as deep as you have defined

If you have filler blocks in it, those will be replaced by terrain dirt if not it will be empty space except for the base blocks

17. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

I'm afraid we're just talking past each other.
    There is only a very small part of the POi underground (A4), like on my sketch.
    But all parts are combined into a POI (A) with the command "connect to the base".

how is this bonding box defined?
    Version 1 orange line or Version 2 red line ?

upload_2020-8-27_13-37-43.png
    I'm still at work. tonight i will post a picture of the POI as a whole object, for better understanding.
    scientists outpost build challenge

18. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Ok did not get that part, connect does not work well when spawn by the game

That approach was abandon and now you have an option in the YAML file "Spawn Near" and the individual bases spaw randomly around a central POI

In your case A3 and A1 will be floating mid air unless you create collumns untill the bottom and fill the rest with filler blocks

ravien_ff and Jorgodan like this.
  19. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

because the "remove territory" command cuts out the entire scope of the POI to the defined depth. (orange line in my sketch)
    correct?

ravien_ff and Kaeser like this.
  20. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Yes but you need to create a single BP out of the 3 or 4 bases, with connect only the main will spawn

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Jorgodan likes this.