How to use FILLER BLOCKS

Discussion in 'Knowledge & Info' started by Hummel-o-War, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

You can also simply make 4 separate POIs and only show the name of 1, and place them all as fixed POIs with position/ rotation. You can "hide" the names and markers of the "secondary" POIs of your group here.

2. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

* ... moans very loud * oh man @Kaeser. You know what happens to the bad news bearer ...;)
    At which point of the many guidelines and notes is written:
    doesn't use the "connect to base" command because it doesn't work fot POIs? grrrrr.
    In the worst case scenario, the game won't even build the greenhouse and cave because they're not connected to the main building. But it digs a 12-block-deep hole under the main building, even though it doesn't need to clear the area?
    You can imagine, that I can't say out loud what I think of it.

create some single blueprint , this mean that each antenna has to have its own core? or?
    upload_2020-8-27_16-51-37.png

And own batteries and own solar panels (not all already have one) etc.
    But if I have to build pillars under each sub-object under the previous conditions, and fill everything with filling blocks, it will probably be easier to draw a line of blocks from each object to the main building. That solves the problem, doesn't it? Or are there more secrets that are not written anywhere?;)

3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

There are many ways to do things, sure, but they all yield different results. For example : do you need power in all of the buildings ? If some antenna is just for "deco" you can place it without a core like what is done for "ship wrecks" or "ruins". You can also simply make the "underground" part as separate structure (with name not shown until at 1m) and "unpowered" and place it as fixed POI then just put the others over the ground... It all depends : if this is a POI to be included in random scenarios then you will be better to use "legit recipes", but if you are the one making the playfields too you can use a special biome type where you control the temperature so the players stuck in the cave don't freeze to death before escape. Just an example.

Doors still work without power (manually).

Kaeser likes this.
  4. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

And surely all such things should be here in the knowledge base somewhere?
    I didn't understand anything at all of what you said, except that I was supposed to make separate blueprints.
    But you don't have to explain it to me now either. I'm through with the subject. I just wanted to build some objects.
    But when things get so complicated, my precious free time is too good for it. Then the people should build who have always done it.
    I already have a job with 60 hours a week.

5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Most of this information can be found as "comments" ( with a # before them) in the various "example" playfield templates (ex. Example_Planet.yaml). Some things can be found "the hard way" by trial and error, or by spawning structures in creative to see how they were done, etc. That is what I wasted much time on lately, and I have the same "gripes" you have regarding how information is spread a bit everywhere. I think it's slowly getting fixed though, as I just checked today some of the example templates and it looks like some additional details got in there, instead of being in 3 or 4 different files for different items.

Also note that as "players" making stuff that might not be aimed at the "general public" for the game we can do things that are a bit "out of the rules" and these are not documented as precisely. And I guess it requires a bit of "practice" to know all the tricks so we can use this knowledge to plan building instead of trying to adjust things after the fact.

Kaeser likes this.
  6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

If it's part of the same blueprint, it will all spawn together.

But you'll need to fill it with filler blocks and support columns as needed. Your blueprint will work just fine but it will take just a little work on your part.

Jorgodan likes this.
  7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

When you spawn your BP you can see the bounding box. That is the area that will be dug out.

Jorgodan likes this.
  8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I can also provide a visual example tomorrow.

9. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Yes best approach is always trial and error, what I experienced when testing with connect may be different now seeing I did it over a couple years ago and did not test ever again

If you know how to add a POI to the yaml files to have it spawn in a SP game do it and try with the several approaches, one single base, several bases using spawn near in the yaml file, but to have them spawn aligned will be tricky if not done in one single POI

Jorgodan and ravien_ff like this.
  10. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

Oh thats is it ! a very valuable note. Thanks. that makes the idea of where exactly the outside edge is easy.

that won't be necessary. I now understand the principle. The entire surface is lowered and with it all definitions of the SI. My misunderstanding was, that only the part of the box in which there is underground building blocks is lowered.

I have no problem checking my work over and over again so that it just keeps getting better. I only have problems that things don't work the way they (maybe) should work and I can't find the information about them.
    This is my main problem. I have absolutely no idea how to handle yaml files.
    Therefore I cannot test these POI objects completely.
    And at the moment (maybe later) I am not ready to sacrifice time to acquire this knowledge.

And don't forget, I speak English pretty badly. I have to translate every damn post / thread / information text,
    in the hope that I can then still understand him.
    It all costs me twice as much.

Therefore, thank you very much for the many important answers and information. I have really learned a lot in the last 12? Posts.

btw, @Kaeser, yesterday i was in the burial chamber in the real game in survival on a godforsaken ocean planet somewhere in the neutral zone. I was surprised to find him there. I liked that very much. Was a lot of fun.
    We really need more of that on the planets.

Kaeser and ravien_ff like this.
  11. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

It's fairly simple, if you go to this folder:

SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Scenarios

You'll see a folder called 'Default Multiplayer'

Copy and paste that, renaming the folder to something of your own choosing. - Congratulations you've just created your own scenario :)

Now to add your poi you need to go into your scenario folder, you're looking for the 'Prefab' folder. That's where you put your poi blueprint file.

Next you need to edit the playfield_static.yaml file. Go back to your main scenario folder, you'll see one called playfields. Now they should be all the starter planets, for this purpose I'm going to say open up the 'TemperateStarter' folder, that's where you'll find the playfield_static.yaml file.

Open this file up. Now do a search for 'POI', this will take you to where all the poi's are coded. The GroupName that you see is the one you specify on the blueprint.

Now the first one is the one below. If you copy and paste this, replace 'UCHFieldCamp' with your own blueprint group name. Save it, now try it.

- GroupName: UCHFieldCamp
    Faction: Polaris
    Territory: False
    AvoidFactionTerritory: True
    CountMinMax: [ 1, 1 ]
    IsImportant: True
    SpawnPOINear: [START]
    SpawnPOINearRange: [100, 250]
    Properties:
    - Key: MapMarker
    Value: Neutral
    - Key: RegenAfter
    Value: 720

That's basically it, there's a lot more to it of course but just to see if something's working that should be it. If you check these forums for the Empyrion Playfield Designer that can help.

Kaeser, Jorgodan and ravien_ff like this.
  12. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

Well, I got over my shock, back to the practical part.
    Is it really necessary for the game mechanics, to fill the entire trough with filler blocks?
    I lead columns of the sub-objects (antennas) for the SI down to the bottom that is clear.
    But wouldn't it be enough to line the last two upper layers with filler blocks? Or do they all fall down?
    Otherwise we would just have a large cavity under the surface. If someone digs, they'll fall into a huge cave haha. Or we could fill them with petroleum lol.

Then the ECD comes and sets up a (my) oil rig.:D

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  13. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

Thanks @Escarli . I'll deal with it when I have a little more time. Before that I would like to finish building some objects that have already been processed.
    And I don't want to discuss that in this thread. Just one question:
    "You'll see a folder called 'Default Multiplayer'"
    does that also work if I only play and starts single player? ;)

14. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

15. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

@Kaeser , @ravien_ff
    Countless ideas are growing in my head again. I would like to work on this game 60 hours a week ...;)
    I don't have to close such a "cutout" at the top, do I?
    Just a mind game after seeing the burial chamber. This chamber without a ceiling ?
    If I knock 2 "pillars" into the ground over the diagonal and say "place" with -24 + remove terrain. I get a big pit. With the filler blocks I can then model the pit a little.
    In this pit I can then stack buildings on top of one another like a terrace, a few more solar panels stretched over the top that provide shade.
    I could build a funnel settlement or a gold mine that way. Or does any of you know "Dünenheim" from Enderal? Something like that. A pirate trading post or something that looks a bit like Tatoin. Only 4 cannons and an observation tower look out over the surface area.
    That would fit great on desert planets or the barren planets.

In this way I can force the game to generate a big hole in which I put something, or am I making a thinking mistake?

Dünenheim (copyright by Enderal sure AI)
    upload_2020-8-28_18-13-4.png

Kaeser likes this.
  16. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Yes that works alright, there's already a few like that albeit small and a couple in WIP, did a few tests regarding that but never saw them through for lack of time

One thing you will face regarding big holes on the ground though is the problem of the Terrain Rendering Lag, you won't see the hole until you're on top of it basically but that's just how the game works

Here's one example....
    20190215083754_1.jpg

Attached Files:

Kassonnade and Jorgodan like this.
  17. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

that's great. Yes exactly. I would only build terraced buildings around the walls of the pit and leave the small square with the queue in the middle as a marketplace. E.g.
    Maybe I'll do a small Jawa village
    Then the game has to render buildings and not the terrain. is that faster?

whats with this question:
    "But wouldn't it be enough to line the last two upper layers with filler blocks? Or do they all fall down?" #52
    would it works?

18. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Terrain and thus filler blocks are not affected by SI unfortunately, would be great to have cave ins due to players bad planing or mining mishaps...

So yeah, you can have a single layer of filler blocks at the top covering all up

Kassonnade likes this.
  19. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

Well then I keep getting this problem with filler blocks.
    I have the POI completely built in with filler blocks, but upon rendering in, it looks like this (pictures below)
    DediGame_2020-08-31_01-38-14.png DediGame_2020-08-31_01-38-14.png DediGame_2020-08-31_01-38-03.png

It seems to me like the POI is inserted a bit skewed after the ground is removed, and this is not the only POI iI have seen this happen to. Any ideas? If I replace all filler blocks with complete concrete it renders as a solid structure, but edges look like the thing have been moved after insertion.

Kassonnade likes this.
  20. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

I might be wrong here but it looks like you will need to reset your pivot
    In the console look for the command help prefabinfo
    then use prefabinfo bp_name -clearpivot on your bp save and then try to bring it back in again
    Make back ups first

ravien_ff likes this.