Include liquid (water/lava) temp in playfield yaml

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by LiftPizzas, Jan 6, 2021.

1. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

It would be amazing to make a Titan-like world or other imaginative places with oceans of other materials that are liquids at other temperatures. (I guess we'd also need a flag for "oceans are not water" so that water generators only work when appropriate.)

Currently on lava planets it can be 500 degrees above the lava but it's a couple hundred cooler when you go inside the lava. If we could set the temperature ourselves the lava might be used in some other creative way. Maybe it's just mud or some other viscous liquid.

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You should be able to set this in blockconfig. Look for the different types of water or lava.
    You can even add your own blocks here, with different temperatures of lava or colors of water (I couldn't get colored lava to work).

LiftPizzas likes this.
  3. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

I don't see a temperature setting built in, but for other blocks (fuel tanks, generators, thrusters, etc) there is one, so I tried adding it that way. It generated a CoQ, IIRC it was an array index out of range sort of thing. Any hints on how to add a block since it looks like all indices from 0-2047 are taken. I know I saw something about that being extended for items, is there a syntax for adding new blocks without a number?

Code:
    { Block Id: 2048, Name: WaterMethane
      CanPlayersSpawnOn: false
      /*Class: LiquidStatic /*/
      Material: water
      Shape: LiquidTerrain
      Mesh: water
      Texture: 107
      ShowUser: No
      # Color of water in shader 
      BlockColor: "100,0,0,180" 
      Temperature: -265
      { Child Map
        # Color of water in map 
        Color: "55,10,10,180"   
        # ElevMinMax: "20,30"   
        Specular: 0.3
      }
    }

4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You can use some of the 220-250 block IDs. I use those for my scenario.

LiftPizzas likes this.
  5. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Changed to block 240 and it works perfectly.
    You can also add a "Radiation" value if it serves your purposes too.
    The last value in BlockColor is the alpha channel, lowering that lets you see further when you're inside the liquid.

You can disallow water generators to work, too. In the MaterialConfig.ecf I copied the water entry, named it methane, and changed the O2Content to 0. Then in the blocksconfig entry you change the material from water to methane. It prevents you from placing the water generator into these lakes! :)

BTW if you set the Material to lava instead of water it automatically adds catching fire, ground fog, and the opacity over your vision when you go inside it.

ravien_ff likes this.