Is it just me or is the average age...

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by hoxer, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Alchimeriste

Alchimeriste Commander

do not ask to google a mature server !

dustinduse and LiftPizzas like this.
  2. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Ah I see what you mean.

If you want to run faster, run farther. I'd suggest a couch to 5k (or 10k) program, or anything that starts with your current ability and progressively increases your distance. Also, training in various heart rate zones helps. :)

Mac likes this.
  3. Ambedrake

Ambedrake Commander

Games requiring patience tend to hit an older crowd, it's quite common and to be honest I appreciate a more mature community environment so no complaints here ^_^

4. MechPilot524

MechPilot524 Captain

Geez, I am a baby here.
    Nineteen. Studying computer science (probably with emphasis on game development) and intend on going on to get a Masters in Interactive Technology with emphasis on engine programming. (In other words, I hope to go to grad school to learn how to program with game engines)
    I have my immature moments, who doesn't, but I'd like to think I have different interests than the MLG noscopers. My earliest video game memories were playing the Star Wars Battlefronts on PS2. Not sure what my first survival-style game was, might have been Minecraft. Today though I am pretty into XCOM and its indie cousin Xenonauts, lack the micromanaging skills but still try to play Wargame: ALB and CnC: Red Alert 2. Also into Armored Warfare and War Thunder.

Icarus and Ambedrake like this.
  5. JaseRocks

JaseRocks Ensign

42 checking in

6. =TCR= Big_Red

=TCR= Big_Red Rear Admiral

63 here. So let's get on with alpha. I don't have time to waste. Lol

MechPilot524 and Icarus like this.
  7. NafreiuX

NafreiuX Captain

Another youngling - 28 years :D

First game that I have played was some racing game on a tape computer (don't remember the name of it - was only 4 years old :) )

Played EVE online before but it just took too much time to do regular routines (trading, mining, manufacturing) - at some point I just got bored with it.
    Really liked Evochron Mercenary - the game has amazing graphics - but it lacked depth and there were only a handful of players playing it.

Then I saw the Empyrion promotional video on Kickstarter and the game drew my attention instantly :)
    I was never into building stuff before Empyrion - but somehow this game just feels right to fight, build, and survive :)

8. Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy Ensign

I have kids older than most of you here... Only Big_Red has me beat so far. I'm 58, run a dedi Empyrion server (theAbandonded), enjoy Arma2/Dayz/Epoch - ran a heavily modded dedi Arma2 server (did the programming, too - see us old guys still can do some of these newfangled things!), and have run an Ark server that really needs to be overhauled. Even used to fix computers in the days where we aligned floppy disk tracks (floppy disks? What're those?) to the head using an oscilloscope and even did component level replacements on motherboards back in the day.

9. Darkwulf

Darkwulf Lieutenant

Average online gamer in some survey I saw was 30.

I am 37

10. cailean_556

cailean_556 Lieutenant

My driver's license tells me I'm 30. My wife seems to think that me playing games is me holding on to my youth. She's just jealous because she can't play Xbox games (won't even touch the computer for gaming purposes) without walking in circles, looking up at the sky or down at the ground, in an endless loop (she lacks coordination). :D

I don't feel like a particular age, but I wish I didn't have to work so I could spend more time in the virtual world. It's okay to make space ships and eat people whilst riding dinosaurs in the virtual world. Do that one time in real life... :rolleyes:

11. Darkwulf

Darkwulf Lieutenant

As soon as you let go of your youth, you start to die. I see so many people my age that are completely unhappy. They don't have anything to do so they fill the missing gap with drama. I keep telling them, try video games.

12. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Why would anyone want to get rid of their youth?

13. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Captain

I would hardly call gaming "just a children's activity", but that seems to be a stereotype that people have a hard time letting go of. Some people watch television, and some people like myself play video games instead. For example, my wife and I play some games together (like Civilization), but when she goes and watches stuff like Downton Abbey, I will go and game.

14. =TCR= Big_Red

Back in the 80's when home computers really got born. It was the adults at the time buying and using them. Kids came later.

15. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

True that. I saved my allowance for ages to buy a C=64 when I was in 7th grade in 1983. But I was the exception. In school there was only one other kid who had or used a computer. And we went to some computer club meetings and it was almost all adults.

16. =TCR= Big_Red

Computers clubs. I really miss and enjoyed them. There would always be somebody there that had discovered some new. Be it a hardware device or a piece of software they had made or found. And no I didn't sing "I adore my 64". I was in the Tandy camp. Lol

Icarus likes this.
  17. Icarus

Icarus Ensign

I appreciate everyone of you here, and especially the developers for offering us subtle refuge from daily struggles. This game has potential, they're consistent on updates and seem to be covering multiple ground simultaneously. Most Honorable. Hoping to see procedural generation after they get the design for the galaxy tab going? Who knows but I'm already meeting awesome folks hosting our Stellar Dynasty server. I've been active testing for only a few years now, survival games particularly. This one appears to be consistently healthy thus far, as I understand.

Only problem we have is a kid coming in spawning/building through others bases. Had to throw a dang password on, report him etc..

If any other experienced folk would like to come hang please join our steam group. Hope we can remove password if they throw in AC or ban features.

Loving this game. Avoiding space engineers (feels purposeless, no alien bases!), occasionally enjoying some teamwork in Pulsar: Lost Colony, thinking about trying Interstellar Rift if anyone has played it what did you think?

18. =TCR= Big_Red

Off topic.

19. Icarus

Icarus Ensign

well aren't you just a bucket of sunshine? i'm new here and would appreciate a greeting. but if you want to just throw the off topic label at my first post in here i guess that's fair. so have you ever tried interstellar rift? or was my ice-breaker statement so seriously off topic that you can't give me a chance punk?

Yolofessional likes this.
  20. Yolofessional

Yolofessional Captain

i like you already. have a +1!

Icarus likes this.