Land Claim Device for SP

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bollen, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Bollen

Bollen Captain

It would be cool if we could use this Land Claim Device (LCD) for exactly that purpose in SP. Wipe out a Zirax base or change the core then instal the LCD and the map changes the colour from red to whatever player colour... That would give us another game mechanic to play with i.e. take over territory!

KRanKO5, Kassonnade and Germanicus like this.
  2. Bollen

Bollen Captain

I'm cheekily reviving this as it seems like such a simple way to add end game content. I've been going around the new galaxy with my top tier CV, full of resources, several Combat SVs, a near indestructible HV Tank and plenty of small bases in my factory ready to spawn, and there's really nothing to do out here at the moment except take out more Zirax... If we could claim territory you're literally adding thousands of hours of gameplay if for example one would want to rid the galaxy of the naught empire...

Hope to get some support for this...

KRanKO5, Spoon and Kassonnade like this.
  3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Excellent idea. This adds another incentive to not only "loot" but completely remove hostile POIs.

We could have some achievements too, as these are easy to make (they're just "counters") and motivate players to do things they would not normally do to reach "end game" ; then we have additional stuff to do in each playfield even if mission is over/ territory is cleared.

Bollen and KRanKO5 like this.
  4. Bollen

Bollen Captain

Excellent idea too! They could add thousand of extra hours of end game with just a few tweaks like these...!

Kassonnade likes this.
  5. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

I’d be happy with this...then again, I’d be happy if the POI names would disappear quicker...especially after ive salvages every single block.

Bollen likes this.
  6. Bollen

Bollen Captain

Sigh...! True... So, so true...

7. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Frankly, just replacing the core should do this for POIs..

8. Bollen

Bollen Captain

But what happens when for example you have those territories with several POIs close together? At what point does it start to count as yours...?

9. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

The same question could be applied to the claim device- at what point does it count as "yours" if there are active enemy POIs? in the area?

There is some calculation somewhere that determines the AOE of each POI for territory. I'm just saying apply that to the player's faction instead if the core is replaced, and I would further say that it shouldn't take effect if there are active enemy cores within that range

Same end result, pretty much, without taking up an item ID which is apparently now in short supply. Which doesn't lend much confidence to long-term continued development unless that changes...

Bollen likes this.
  10. Bollen

Bollen Captain

Gotcha! Sounds like a good idea... However, since the land claim device is already in the game, but it has no use in SP, then might as well give it a purpose. Like we did with the beds before.
    Hmmm... Yes I agree, hopefully it was just a misunderstanding or that IDs are reserved for hundreds of blocks that are already conceptualised but not in game yet...

Kassonnade likes this.
  11. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Good question!

If it's "all IDs used by actual content" then I would suggest they remove some stuff that players practically never use. They could make a poll for this and this could free many IDs for relevant stuff.

For your idea, either "core" or "LCD" they have to make another "item" (not "model") and this requires a new ID. Even scripts require IDs.

But I'm not "excusing" this way to implement things: devices could have complex scripts like the multi-tool/ survival tool, which are using already existing mechanics (mining, salvaging, combat/laser, rotate blocks, etc). Making several devices having multiple capabilities could free some space for "new" items and functions.

I guess the "land claim" mechanic you are proposing here could simply use the actual faction/map functions that use the "chunks" of terrain for defining / coloring areas.

Edit : made some very bad typos in there, it surely was hard to understand before I correct them... o_O

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  12. Bollen

Bollen Captain

Yes, that was my suggestion, but then again... I don't really know anything about the intricacies of coding so it was a wild guess...
    Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! Happens to the best of us...;)

Kassonnade likes this.