LCD projectors cheaper

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Pear78, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Pear78

Pear78 Captain

I could live with a full LCD screen with the screen and all costs something,
    but the LCD projectors are tiny devices, I mostly use them to label.

labelled a starter/midgame base.. it added 300 copper and silicon to the list..
    I like my LCDs, they can really "live" up a build.. but it seems a bit too rough on the wallet.

the number of LCD projectors I used could have been lowered also if the editor works like it should,
    but the time it costs to align 2 seperate LCDs into one stretched LCD is just not worth it.
    it's just a bit fluff to make it look nice, shouldnt impact early builds too much imo

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    dichebach likes this.
  2. shadowiviper

shadowiviper Commander

There was a suggestion a while back, but can't remember who from, to have the LCD projector as an array of projectors so that a single block could generate up to 6 separate screens with their own offset/rotation/content. As you only select the type of screen after it's already been built you couldn't reduce the resources needed for an LCD projector without making it it's own separate recipe, so the other option is to increase the usefulness of it - although as the projector is already more versatile than the static screens it would then become unbalanced that the basic screens never get used at all.

The editor I agree needs work, mostly the problem comes from a single line of text being too long to display in the editor so clicking in 1 spot actually selects somewhere else entirely as the line wrapping causes you to be a few lines up/down from where the display says it is. It's frequently easier to edit content in an external program and paste it back into the game afterwards, so you can at least undo/redo changes and don't risk losing everything because the cursor is showing in the wrong place.

More sizes of LCD would also be nice, both smaller & larger with different aspect ratios as well - or better yet having a single LCD screen with height/width sliders like the projector does, but instead of a translucent floating "screen" have the thicker solid 'LCD screen' model with or without borders, so you can choose any size of screen you like OR use the offset/intangible projector to cover all cases

dichebach and Pear78 like this.
  3. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Yes - that was mine (well not specifically 6 faces but multiple projectors from a single block), but I dont expect such to happen.

I dont think I have seen any of the numerous excellent blocks suggestions taken up by the dev team and recently it was disclosed they have pretty much run out of block ID space and now that they are transitioning to release mode, I dont expect we will ever see these, nor will the community be able to add them as a mod (due to lack of blocks ID space and inadequate mod API). Recent additions seem to have been re-purposing of block IDs that never made it into the game properly.

TBH - this whole forum sub-section is probably redundant now that alpha is abandoned beyond what modders can currently do which doesnt seem to be much beyond what has already been done.

4. dichebach

dichebach Captain

I agree they are far too expensive to build and probably too costly in fuel too. As are lights.

We're talking 25th century technology here! One should be able to stick ONE small gen, ONE small tank, fill it, and run HUNDREDS of lights for literally YEARS. Adding the gigantic 3 D printer, Repair machine, medic machine, etc., etc.: some degree of cost for baseline running, but then USING them that is where 90% of all fuel expenditure should go. This is one of my least fun parts of the game: set up an emergency outpost on some moon somewhere fuel it up and leave it, but if you do not turn out all the lights you'll come back to empty tanks.

Pear78 likes this.
  5. Pear78

Pear78 Captain

think he was referring to this one in the screenshot ;)

Im not going to speculate on the future.. but stopping with making suggestions.. I dont see how that would help anybody. Eleon needs to know players wishes, or they might think we got everything we need and all is peachy ;)

Attached Files:

dichebach likes this.
  6. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Good - then a few of us have more or less the same idea :)

dichebach likes this.
  7. shadowiviper

shadowiviper Commander

Honestly no idea which of you I saw make the suggestion, could be either, could be both - but does look like we're all on the same page :)

It does look like we're not getting any new blocks any time soon, as you say they've run out of block IDs and there's little interest in adding more with the "main release" coming up. Previously I'd have suggested we start looking at blocks that could be considered superfluous and consider them for removal, e.g. does anyone ever really use the different types of grow plot or would it make more sense to just have one, freeing up 2 more IDs for something else. But once the game is out of alpha they will likely want to avoid breaking existing saves assuming the follow the standard practice foe EA games, which removing/changing any existing block would almost certainly do. So the window to trim down anything useless to squeeze a few new devices in is rapidly closing which is a shame as there are many great suggestions being raised recently

8. Pear78

Pear78 Captain

great minds think alike ;)

I dont think changing a few IDs to allow a few new blocks or devices in is the way to go.. imo we need something that will allow just endless adding on to, to avoid having the same issue in a few months, but than with different blocks or devices ;)

Spoon likes this.
  9. Pear78

Pear78 Captain

thinking aloud.. maybe it could be as simple as adding a letter to the ID's.. B for base, C for CV, D for device

10. Pear78

Pear78 Captain

back on original topic; ran into another fine example

made a small HV, comes to 42 copper
    want to add 3 LCDs.. whopping 64 copper..
    thats a lot for a bit of custom labelling ;)